Dance classes for older beginners?

Options
I'm 18 and want to begin either ballet, jazz, or gymnastics. I tried gymnastics for a year when I was 11, but I was tall for my age and heavy for my height in a class of tiny 5-8 year olds. I quit because I felt so gargantuan compared to the others. Now that I'm older and more proportional, I want to try again. I'm not even trying to become a professional, I just want to get more active by dance (and I want to be a cheerleader at least one year, and I'm going to college in a few years). Does anyone else have experience with these kinds of classes? What are they like? How much did you improve?

Replies

• jimmyn6
    jimmyn6 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i think gymnastics at 18 will be a bit harder.

I did dance, Jazz and Ballet after I graduate HS and when I started college. It's simple really, usually your college will have a kinesiology class that is dance 1 or something, that's intended for someone who has never danced before.

I also spent some time at a dance studio, in an adult class. It was once a week, ballet an hour, and then jazz an hour after that. it's fun, and i learned a lot. Ballet was a lot of warm-up, stretching, and learning the positions. In jazz, i learned more of the turns, steps, and simple leaps. really it's all about getting into that 8-count. The dance studio however always had a recital and they prepped heavily for it. It was something I didn't really care for, I was the only guy in an all female class so they really wanted me be in it so I could offer some other elements to the choreo.

i got better, but i was still a bit shy and I wasn't good at counting and keeping count. It's the same problem I had in band. So that was the biggest challenge. I can learn the moves, just being on time.
  • his_skinnylove
    his_skinnylove Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's a location issue. I googled such classes for my city and no such luck. Which sucks, because I wanted to be a ballerina! Thanks anyway :)
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My city has dance classes for adults. I have taken several, and it is a lot of fun and great exercise. I say go for it if there is a place near you that offers it!
  • his_skinnylove
    his_skinnylove Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I found a class not too far away! :D I'm going to sign up for ballet starting this September- thanks for the replies Jimmy and Alassonde!
  • BlueberryWatermelon
    BlueberryWatermelon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Have fun!! Dance classes are one of my favourite forms of exercise. :)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    In larger cities with more dance studios, it's not hard to find adult classes, although most of them will tend toward more modern forms of dance like hip-hop or even ballroom. Another place to check is your local community college. Ballet is an amazing workout, especially for your legs!