yo-yo-ing

Options
It's so frustrating when you reach a plateau, and it's so hard to get out of: I've reached my fair share of them in the past. But yo-yo-ing is worse. I've been doing it for ages, and can't seem to push through it! It's starting to really get me down because even when I lose weight, I know it won't last, and it's made me become a little more weight-obsessed than usual. Need some support to get through this blasted thing!

Replies

• KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Kim and my weight loss journey began two years ago. I was at my heaviest (225) and things were not good. I couldn't keep up with my kids, I was tired all the time, and my doctor told me that my cholesterol was on the rise! I decided something needed to change. I started walking, and eventually doing some weight training. I am down over 70 pounds! I feel so much better, and I love supporting and encouraging people to do the same. I would be happy to be an accountability partner with you. I still have some weight to lose, so we can work at it together! Getting your nutrition under control is a big key to losing weight. I can share what has worked for me if you are interested. If you work hard, I know you can reach your goal! So what do ya say? Are you in?
  • brassballa
    brassballa Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Stats
    33 years old
    2012 I reached 200 tramatic stress!!! it was bad ...I'll leave it at that
    2013 reached 163 felt great went on vacation gained 10lbs back alcohol and gluten and dairy
    Lost my job and my gym membership gained 10lbs ....then thanksgiving/christmas newly at home mom was baking had cookies in cookie jar....blah blah ...stress of trying for another baby ...epic fffFail .....
    2014 Feb 195
    Holy crap moment still no job but had to figure this out health wise I had let life take over and drowned in oreos....LOL

SO I have learned that Vacations......High stress, laziness is my triggers for weight gain.
    meaning if I stop my healthy habits then there will be a Gain..... SO KEEP MOving no matter what! no excuses
    and Find your healthy focus ...Its life! Oh and I have negative reactions to GLUTEN and DAiry which can cause me to gain 3lbs of water weight in a day .....YEah! its sucky yoyo water weight!

Dude! Totally feel your pain!....For as long as I can remember my weight Has gone up and down....Military caused some of that.....bad eating habits that will not go away....I'm a stress eater, happy eater, anything eater. By nature I'm a lazy person so I have done the same thing. I changed my focus though from trying to lose weight( I still wanna lose weight) to focusing on my true health....How I feel ....I'm still having my bad days and I went from 163 to 195 in a year ....caused by stress and not giving a care. so I'm back in it with mini goals of summer, just wanting to wear the clothing in my closet ...My weight shifts heavily eating dairy or gluten causes swelling in my body, so that yoyo effect is there anytime i have either. I have ulcerative coltis and health wise I have to put my weight in check.............The problem is we cannot think of this weight loss as a DIET......No more diets ....pick a way you want to eat and stick with it. ITs ok to low calories days its also ok to have high calorie days....Find your balance. ....THis will sound crazy but I have started using Free hypnotherapy ....its not weird ....you listen before bed...and it helps you to be focused and tune into what you already want. It might help you ......I found it online. look up Dr. Paul Ogilvie www.liberationinmind.com Its free! So far I feel really good on my new round of healthy life challenge!!!!!
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I thought this was gonna be yo-yo tips!! I always wanted to learn how to yo-yo.
  • brassballa
    Options
    LOL
    I thought this was gonna be yo-yo tips!! I always wanted to learn how to yo-yo.
    [/quote]
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I find that with women clients, its not a plateau until it goes beyond 4-6 weeks. Your monthly cycles play hell on water weight and other hormonal factors.

things you can do to not yo-yo:

1: Sleep 7-9 hours a night
    2: De-stress
    3: Lift weights a few times a week in a progressive fashion and walk daily
    4: Eat slightly below your current energy output (Energy balance)
    5: Stay off the scale for 4-6 weeks at a time

Following these simple steps can help alleviate the aggravation of unreasonable expectations.
  • bannabaker369
    Options
    Hi! My name is Kim and my weight loss journey began two years ago. I was at my heaviest (225) and things were not good. I couldn't keep up with my kids, I was tired all the time, and my doctor told me that my cholesterol was on the rise! I decided something needed to change. I started walking, and eventually doing some weight training. I am down over 70 pounds! I feel so much better, and I love supporting and encouraging people to do the same. I would be happy to be an accountability partner with you. I still have some weight to lose, so we can work at it together! Getting your nutrition under control is a big key to losing weight. I can share what has worked for me if you are interested. If you work hard, I know you can reach your goal! So what do ya say? Are you in?

I'm definitely in! I know it's possible - it's just so much easier with people to do it with :)

Ahh, I wish I could post real yo-yo tips - I've never been able to use the darned things. I'll post tips when I've mastered it ;)

Thanks for the tips - I think I need to increase my weight lifting time, and staying off the scales...I'm terrible at weighing myself multiple times a week :/
  • brassballa
    Options
    I find that with women clients, its not a plateau until it goes beyond 4-6 weeks. Your monthly cycles play hell on water weight and other hormonal factors.

things you can do to not yo-yo:

1: Sleep 7-9 hours a night
    2: De-stress
    3: Lift weights a few times a week in a progressive fashion and walk daily
    4: Eat slightly below your current energy output (Energy balance)
    5: Stay off the scale for 4-6 weeks at a time

Following these simple steps can help alleviate the aggravation of unreasonable expectations.

What he said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kalaolson07
    Options
    bananabaker
    I know how you feel! I look at myself as a small petite person. I am 5'1" 28yo. I have gone from 105 to 165 in a years time (got pregnant with lots of issues). Then with TONS of work I got back down to a healthy 112 over a 4 year period I was fit and worked well. But I had to be so strict with a 5-6 day exercise program and a diet plan that had me eating salad or fruit for most my meals (I cut out red meats and excess sugar(no birthday cake for me like EVER)) that I got tired of it. Really tired. So I started eating like a normal human being. (3 square meals, snacks, cut back my workouts to 3-4 days a week) and I gained 25 lbs in just a few weeks. I felt horrible, but I told myself, if I can't stick with a plan for the rest of my life to stay in my weight why make myself miserable. I had a heart health scare that put me into major surgery just a few years ago. All the medicine and the strict, NO EXERCISE, for nearly a year had me back up to 168. I was even more miserable. When I got the go ahead this january to start a workout plan I jumped into it with two feet! I worked up to my cardio and heart rate limit and I push it every day. Life is FAR to short to cut out red meat and cookies and cake, so on those days I can't help but find myself taking in too many calories I try to work out harder. If I can't do it that day I make sure I have time that week to push an extra 1000cal burn! I just started using my myfitness app again and I'm so happy with it. I'm diligent and I make sure to eat better (it's for my heart health after all! I want to live long enough to see my baby have babies of her own!) Here are a few things I figured out along the way that effects my yoyoing, hopefully these will help you too!
    -Don't skip meals (I do this often during work) It makes you over eat even if you don't think you are. I learned to bring meal shakes with me to work. So if I find myself skipping a meal I drink it instead. (I recommend shakeology. They have lots of vitamins and extra supplements and protein to get you through the day!
    -drink 1 to 2 liters of water. This is a MUST on pre & post workout days. Water weight is a *****. Seriously. It can be the difference of 5lbs! Drink even more when you are on your period. it will help with bloating too!
    -Don't do outrageous diet plans that you won't stick with. Don't cut out all sugar, or go vegan, or cut out carbs, or go all natural etc etc unless you plan for it to be LONG TERM. your body will get used to this diet so the second you stop, you will gain it all back. All of it.
    -MODERATION! This is key. You can eat that girlscout cookie, but pay attention to the serving size. 3 cookies, thats it. Want a brownie? Go for it, serving size is 1in by 1in piece. No kidding. And be prepared to work that off later!
    -Workout at the same time, every night, every week. If you plan to work out monday tues & weds at 8pm then stick with that for the WHOLE PROGRAM! If you switch it up constantly your body doesn't know what to do. You can switch up your routine by doing different workouts. But make sure you keep your workout schedule the same.
    -Stay away from metabolism boosting pills, weight loss pills, blah blah blah. If you want to detox- go all natural with lemon and cucumber water for 3 weeks, prune, cranberry or grapefruit juices. Eat kiwis or oranges with all your meals. They will help boost your immune system and detox your cells without the possible bad side effects like>>> heart attacks and palpitations, lung and heart diseases? Hey you might lose a few pounds but your could also wind up needing a new heart in 6-8 years... umm no...
    If all else fails
    -Ask your doctor. It could be thyroid issues, heart conditions, medication side effects, infections, ovarian or uterine diseases, etc etc. This is a very scary thought, and thankfully something I looked into and yes it partly a heart condition that caused some of my fatigue and my constant weight fluctuations. This might not pertain to you. But if your worried about it you should talk to a doctor. If you don't end up with any kind of illness they could recommend a diet program or a way to boost your metabolism.

Let me know if you want to talk! Add me! I can help you out! Have a good day!