Ladies, at what weight loss did you buy new workout clothes?

Options
Maybe it's just me that wonders things like this, because I have been searching around just for people's experiences with buying new workout clothes and haven't found much. The reason I ask is I know for regular everyday clothing most people tend to buy enough to last the weight they're at, until the end of their weight loss journey when they buy a whole new wardrobe. But workout clothes, on the other hand, are in constant use during the process.

Rather than number sizing, they tend to be S M L XL etc for pants, but say for some Nike compression pants, a size may fit you and still fit when you lose ten more lbs, right? Any experiences? I want to get some of the cuter and more expensive workout gear for gym motivation, but don't want to drop $ on something that will turn loose in a couple of weeks.

*ramble ramble..* :tongue: just curious!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I just buy them when I need a new size. For the most part, my tops still fit because I like my workout shirts to be a bit big. So even though I'm in medium shirts for everyday wear, I will wear an XL tee for working out. But for bottoms (shorts and capris) and sports bras, I have gotten a few new things as I've gone down in size. I wear medium shorts and capris now (I like the Tek Gear shapewear stuff from Kohl's) but I can still wear the size large. The difference is that the fit is not as snug as I prefer (to minimize the bounce ;p .)
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I buy them early on. It motivates me. I usually make a deal with myself and if I stick to working out regularly then I allow myself to buy new workout clothes.
  • CassandraEldridge
    CassandraEldridge Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I buy new workout clothing when I feel like I want to reward myself. It's something I will use and it's practical. I lost 20lbs, new exercise clothing and I felt like a new woman. :smile:
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    When my pants/capris became dangerously close to falling down (or I was constantly holding them up), I'd buy a couple pairs in a smaller size. I've only gone from L/XL to medium so it's not like I've ran through every size available, plus I buy most of my workout clothes from TJMaxx or Marshalls so they are cheap anyway. :) I think workout clothes that fit properly are important. You don't want to be fussing with your clothes while trying to work out or worrying about giving someone a free show, ya know?
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm in the 'buy it as you need it' and 'I like loose shirts' camp. I started out trying to make them last, but had an unfortunate 'flash my bum to everyone in the neighborhood while running' incident. NOW, I buy bottoms (and sports bras) as soon as the current ones begin to get looser than I like - I like them tight as well. BUT, since I'm still working on losing and plan to go down another size or two (or three - we'll see), I only buy 2 pairs. I just make sure to keep up with the laundry. ;-)
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    Until they were oviously too big... went from snug XL (yes snug) to snug S. I figure those should fit until I reach my goal weight...
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I purchase as needed. but I dont buy expensive (well, in my opinion) workout gear. Cute, but not too expensive.

I have loose tops but I recently bought more form fitting tops to show off my new figure :) It motivates me to see my hard work looking back at me in the mirror.
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I need to buy new workout gear. The ones I have are a wee too big now. I ordered some workout capris online, but they are too big (I ordered a large - my bottom half is larger than my top - but not as large as it used to be lol). So I am back at square one *sigh*
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    When "in progress" I bought cheapo stuff from walmart & target. Once I got to maintenance, I now spend money on higher quality stuff cuz I won't be growing out of it any time soon!!

I'm cheap. I'll look like crap before I'll waste money on clothing that won't fit 6 months from now. My regular clothes were SO big when I finally repalced them. I just had to undo my belt to take my pants off to go to the bathroom. LOL!! Went from a size 12 to a 6 before I bought anything new.

Like I said, I'm cheap!
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I buy cheap workout wear at Walmart. Danskin (sp?) has very cute, form fitting stuff, and it does not break the bank to buy as needed, and donate the old stuff. I have some capri tights and tanks that I really love from there.

I personally think that you look more attractive in up-to-date and well fitting clothes than in more expensive stuff that starts to sag. Also, other people are unlikely to note, at the gym, that you are wearing nike or under armour or whatever. When you get to where you want to be, drop the money on the stuff you really like.
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I just now bought some new workout clothes because I had gained a lot of weight due to an injury so as I lost weight I had stuff in a spare closet that fit. With that said, I decided to try the c25k app to begin running so I just splurged on 3 running outfits, running socks, and going to a running store to get fitted for running shoes. I must say I love my new workout clothes and feel much more comfortable working out/running in them. I may have bought more along my journey, but despite the fact that I have a gym membership, up until recently I usually worked out at home.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm in the 'buy it as you need it' and 'I like loose shirts' camp. I started out trying to make them last, but had an unfortunate 'flash my bum to everyone in the neighborhood while running' incident. NOW, I buy bottoms (and sports bras) as soon as the current ones begin to get looser than I like - I like them tight as well. BUT, since I'm still working on losing and plan to go down another size or two (or three - we'll see), I only buy 2 pairs. I just make sure to keep up with the laundry. ;-)

Ditto. Though mine was an "flash my underwear to the entire row of treadmills behind me" incident...haha! I've only gone down from an XL to a M, so it's nothing crazy, but a few pairs of bottoms at each size, and new sportsbras make it much more comfortable to work out.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I buy new workout clothes when the ladies in Zumba start to complain about seeing my butt from my pants falling down. =D
  • wistera
    wistera Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I bought running tights with drawstrings on purpose... my ones that fit at 230 are definitely kind of wrinkly on me now, but with the string drawn in they still work!

For tops, I've just bought them tight and now they fit still, just somewhat loose.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I had to recently switch over from loose capri style workout pants to the compression type stuff. I had serious saggy butt going on after just one set of squats. I'm not particularly comfortable in the tight clothing, but that's neither here nor there.

I'd go ahead and buy the pricier stuff. The Lycra type material will shrink with you. Make sure they have drawstrings - I bought a pair without a drawstring and even though they still mostly fit, my waist is shrinking much faster than my hips and they fall off if I try to run in them.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I'm not if you have access to Costco but if you do they have great namebrand (Aviva, Champion, Reebok etc.) workout clothes at very reasonable prices (around $19 for yoga pants and warm-up jackets and about $15 for tops). Walmart and Target also have options at the same price but with poorer quality and style for the most part. I would spring for a few outfits while losing if it helps with motivation (works for me!).
  • zavrrr
    zavrrr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    FYI, I was at Target on Sunday and they had all the Champion workout stuff at buy one / get one half off
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    when they get too big. I noticed my workout pants were sagging in the back so I recognized it was time for new ones.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    When I had to hold my pants up to run... I spend more on workout clothes than regular. I love Costco. they have great workout clothes and sports bras that fit good but are cheap!

TJ Maxx is good too. They carry name brand workout clothes for cheap. Having said that, when I'm sweating up a storm, I doubt anybody is looking at the brand... I went from an XL to a M so no huge change but it's nice to have my pants stay up when I'm running.

It was quite an adjustment to go from wearing loose pants to the tighter fit ones...
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It's funny I don't know if it's a condition of my body shape or what but I was able to use the same clothes from about the halfway point all the way down. At my largest I couldn't really fit into much of the exercise gear available so I just worked out in loose sweat pants and a tee. Didn't need a super supportive sports bra since I wasn't running or doing anything overly strenuous so I just used the el-cheapo XL ones.

I lost enough where I could fit into the good-quality larges from the store. I think it's a combination of my body shape (pretty curvy) and the fact that exercise clothes are stretchy that I have been using those ever since. I was a tight Large and at my lowest it was maybe a little lose but nothing uncomfortable. Even though there were many inches difference between those two weights.

In general I buy new if they get too lose so that they start chaffing, or if they just wear out.

SHOES though... don't forget to get new shoes! A good fit is key, and don't use them past their mileage if you're doing a lot of running. Makes a huge difference.