Hair Care

Options

Replies

• melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    oh wow that is excessive. I usually wouldn't pay any more than $280 every couple of months but now that I have gone balague/ombre it's a lot less maintenance, only need to retouch the colour up top which is only like $70
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I go to a private salon in the Dallas area, I use a master stylist/salon owner that I have known for close to 15 years. While I receive a special rate I believe a cut, color & blow dry is around $300 before tip (which as an owner he told me he doesn't accept).
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    *kitten* that *kitten*! I go to fantastic Sams (chain salon) to get my hair cut $15. I color my own hair, the dye cost anywhere between $5-20, depending on what I'm doing. So for less than $50 I look fabulous!

Yesterday I colored my hair dark brown, with alpine green highlights, $5 for the punky colour, $3 for a box of brown dye, and $7 for the highlighting kit. I just had my best friend pull my hair through a cap and I was able to do the rest. All together I spend $30 for a haircut and dye job.
  • Kakeslyn
    Kakeslyn Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I used to go to a few different independent hair salons. For a cut and dye, most charged around $100-$120. The most expensive visit (where I went from blonde to red) was $190... and that was half price! (my friend was apprenticing at a very expensive salon).

Right now I'm using a henna hair dye at home instead, which only puts me out $20.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Ive been a hairstylist for over 30 years and i think the prices some of these places charge are over the top. Im old school as far as prices but am very up to date on color as its one of my specialities. I also own my salon and have 2 other stylist working with me. My personal view is id rather have my clients be able to afford to have their hair done more often so i am more in the under $100 range for full hilites haircut style.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    $500?! Where do you live, Beverly Hills? lol

I spend about $125 each for myself and my daughter. And she has the light brown taken to blonde look, too.

I know, RIGHT? I always feel like I need to get a damn loan to go get my hair done and might turn around to see a celeb near me. LOL

Thank you guys, I will try calling out some chains, schools, and if it doesn't get any better I'm gonna just do it myself. I really appreciate all of the feedback!

I texted someone off of -CRAIGSLIST- to get my hair braided (figured it'd be less upkeep), more than I was spending for the whole dealio - $600!!! On CRAIGSLIST. I might just have the worst hair in the world, if it's this ridiculous at other places I'll post back. LOL
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I dye my own hair: about $8 for Feria at Walmart. I also cut my own hair. Nobody else touches my hair, because no one else does it right.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I went blonde for a while (mistake) and if I remember right it was around $120 for the touch-ups.

Now I go to JCPenney - found a woman who does magic with my hair. Every 4-5 weeks, $60 for a cut & threading brows + $15 tip.
    For color, I do my own. Clairol demi soy from Sally's to darken a tad, a protein treatment & shine treatment ($15 every 3 months or so). I like demis because they fade slowly & let more of my natural highlights through, plus no dye line.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    So reassuring that some of you guys pay more than me. I used to have really short hair and paid $5 to a men's hair cutting school, the the results were spotty. I live in an expensive neighborhood, but I finally decided that I really wanted to go to a women's stylist and it started costing me around $75 pre tip. Then I switched to someone else who charded about the same, but they included washing and blow drying. Last time I went there, the guy (who does a great cut, btw) suggested I add some color. I'm 67 and have very little gray, but my hair has lost it's brightness, so I agreed with him, chose this really pretty color and it's going to cost another $90, so I'll be payingabout $165 before tip. It took my breath away! The last time I dyed my hair I had a special deal where the stylist was leaning to color and they only added $15 for color.

I just heard about a new stylist on the lower east side who has a place called "Crops for Girls". He specializes in short hair, but feminine. don't know what he charges, but I'm going to check it out. I like short hair because it's easier to take care of and I'm always leaving the gym soaking wet and have to wash my hair every day. With it longer now, I have to spend a lot of time on my hair. So money plus my time, I'm really disgusted with myself. ;-)
  • kkeeth1087
    kkeeth1087 Posts: 19
    Options
    I get mine foiled blonde with a high and low light every 3 months. My natural color is blonde, but it's a challenging color to keep on top of due to the grow out (and grow out is a pet peeve of mine). I started through a salon and found a hairdresser I liked, she ended up setting up her own facilities in her house as well as continuing working at the salon. I ended up just getting mine done at her place, as it's cheaper since she doesn't need to pay a chair fee. Mine ends up costing $85, and that's including a full foil and trim. A little pricey for me, but it always turns out well. Call me high maintenance, but I refuse to go to the cheaper salons or dye from a box, blonde is such a fussy color to get right thanks to the bleach component.
  • PSMTD
    PSMTD Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You should be paying $190 tops.
    Color is normally $60-90. If you have darkest blonde and aren't going to platinum they can achieve that without using bleach.
    Highlights usually run around $100 - 120 for a full head or $60 for a partial.
    For a color/root retouch it should be around $40 - 80.
    Low lights cost about $60-90
    The only thing that should cost over $300 is extensions, Brazilian blow outs or if you have very dark hair and are going blonde + HL.
  • hockeychick8766
    hockeychick8766 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    When i went blonde, it was $150.
    Going back to brunette: $40
    Haircuts are normally $15-20
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I go to a private Salon, the owner does my very wavy hair exactly right - cuts for the past couple years are just under $40. The past two times I have had him do creamy blonde highlights and light auburn highlights threaded through my hair in fine bits - not chunks- he also does my roots as we are going from dark burgundy auburn to mid blonde - obviously not in one step lol. This costs me $135 and takes 3 hours with my trim.

I used to colour my hair myself - only L'Oreal as it worked the best for condition & lasting colour in my hair. I've been colouring my own hair for 30 years and probably will again when we get done with the changeover. I've had every colour from platinum blonde in one step (I have dark blonde hair naturally), to Auburn, to Light Brown, to Blueberry (a Goldwell colour - not black but a very blue based Auburn) & Dark Burgundy. Never had black & never will as it would be 'Night of the Living Dead.' A 50 year old Goth is never a good thing...
  • ColourfulFiasco1
    ColourfulFiasco1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have natural high and low-lights in my hair so I buy lightening dye out of a box. It lightens all the hair a few steps and I maintain high/lowlights. Never paid more than ten dollars for it…I'm naturally medium brunette but I go to blonde.

The absolute best thing I have done for my hair is not shampooing often. It strips the hair of all of its natural oils. I shampoo once a week and follow with a color safe deep conditioning treatment. If it weren't for roots I would never re-dye…the color stays so well! The transition is hard because your hair is used to having to overproduce oils, but just wear a hat the first week or two, and it'll figure things out on its own!
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    For the life of me I cannot find a decent hair dresser in this town. I've opted to not spend more than $60 on a trim and hope they don't butcher my hair more than the last person did.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    That is way too much. I pay $90 or less for color. I go to an excellent Aveda salon. I don't go every month. More like once every two months. My color blends very well with the roots. I mentioned to a friend that I color my hair because I have some white hair and she said she never knew (we have been neighbors for almost 3 years). I have dark blond/light brown hair with some white. I color it dark blond to blend. I only started recently.

In some of my photos my hair is darker. Initially I colored it myself too dark and needed professional fixing of my hair.
  • Chrystine71
    Chrystine71 Posts: 224
    Options
    Haven't been to a salon in 12 years..cut my own hair...highlight in summer with Loreal....and I'm a WEN girl, lol....WEN shampoo is the best!
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I get highlights and lowlights every 3 - 4 months - along with a cut it runs me about $130.00

I go to a private salon.

I'm a natural blonde - I don't think I pay too much (but my husband does)!

I just started getting a few white hairs a few years ago - I'm 48 -

I've tried highlight/lowlight kits at home - nothing looks as good as what my salon does.
  • silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    My hairdresser comes to my house. $100 for a full set of foils and a cut. I have long and thick hair as well. With tip ends up costing me $120. I have it done every 3 months.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    $ .00.