not losing weight

I've been doing paleo and haven't lost a single pound. Even when I was counting calories I wasn't losing. I work out 6 days a week. This may be TMI but could it be because I'm still on my period? I've been on it for two weeks now. Do you think it's just water weight? So frustrated.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Women do tend to hold onto some extra water weight around our time of the month, which can cause little stalls and jumps on the scale. And weight loss is never going to be linear. Exercise, sodium, cheat days, stress, etc. can also cause water weight stalls for a week or three. That's why it's so important to give any routine a few weeks before deciding whether or not it's working for you.

You say "even when" you were counting calories. Does that mean you aren't any longer? Unfortunately, it's very easy to underestimate the amount we're eating if you're not tracking it. Just making the switch to paleo won't guarantee that you're eating in a deficit for weight loss. If you aren't tracking you might want to start again.
  • s_yeatts
    s_yeatts Posts: 753
    I'm still tracking. I meant when I was eating bread, dairy, etc.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Do you weigh solids and measure liquids? If not, then you're eating more than you think. It could also be water retention, but that would only explain a short term stall.

If you're not weighing, you're guessing.

Rigger
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    You will not lose weight if you're not at a deficit. "Eating paleo" is not the secret to losing weight. You have to eat less calories than you use. This means you need to weigh your solids and measure your liquids.

Also, being on your period for 2 weeks isn't normal. You should get that checked out.
  • s_yeatts
    What do I weigh them with??
    I've already been to the doctor about the periods. I have PCOS and that messes me up. Hoping losing weight will help.
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    you would weigh them with a digital kitchen scale, helps keep things in perspective when you see how much you are actually eating
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member

Food scale, you can pick one up for about $10 just about anywhere. Preferably a digital that weighs is ounces, grams, and milliliters, and has a tare feature.
  • s_yeatts

Food scale, you can pick one up for about $10 just about anywhere. Preferably a digital that weighs is ounces, grams, and milliliters, and has a tare feature.
    ok thanks y'all!
  • katiewilsonxo
    katiewilsonxo Posts: 85 Member
    you can find good food scales either at a kitchen supply store. I actually found mine at a TJ Maxx type store for 19.99 and it`s fantastic. Typically if you measure 1tbsp of peanut butter or 1 cup of ice cream, you`ll be eating more than that because the measurement isn`t exact. Using weight is one of the only ways to make sure that you`re logging your cals accurately. (Mind you I still use rough estimates for low cal items like strawberries when i don`t have time in the morning)

But logging calorie dense `healthy` foods as `1 avocado` or `1 navel orange` just takes averages into account so MFP might tell you that you`re eating 150-200 calories but you may be having 300-350 which can add up over time :)