Need help getting started

Options
I am 60 years old and 50 pounds overweight. I want to get healthy but I feel like there is not much hope at my age. Any advice?

Replies

• DevSanchez
    DevSanchez Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    it's NEVER too late! Keep the positivity flowing and be your biggest fan! Slow and steady. Results won't happen overnight. You need to be patient and realize it isn't perfection you are striving for but rather progress. (stole that from a fellow MFP friend). If you are making 1 better choice everyday, you are on the road to success! Good luck!
  • melt53
    melt53 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you so much for you kind words of encouragement. I will try to remember them throughout today and try to do my best.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I'm 56. I've lost 100 pounds over the last 2 years. How badly do you want it? That will be the deciding point. Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Everything you need is there except three things - your drive to be successful at this, your ability to learn moderation & your patience to keep going when you feel like you've lost traction.

Now, get out there and make it happen. :flowerforyou:
  • GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm nearly 4 years older than you and figured a while back that I could either start or not start - the decision was mine. The same is true for you. You either really want to make some changes in how you eat and how active you are, or you don't want to make those changes. Starting out by saying that "there is not much hope at my age" is a good way to fail. There are several boards that are geared for those over 50/60 or so as well as boards for various interest groups. Some are more active than others. Look for one that has things you are interested in or can relate to that has an active membership and get involved. You might also find that a pedometer can help provide motivation to get out and get some exercise. I happen to have a Fitbit but almost any pedometer can work if you want it to.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Hi

Now it may be easy for me at almost 30 to say its never too late but here is my story and feel free to add me my dad is dying of cancer he has lived a very unhealthy life alcoholic smokes and never exercised or cared about his body im not saying this caused his cancer but it sure hindered his chance of survival and he wont be here at xmas. My advice to you simply is start walking , running anything that makes you feel good and in turn this with a good caloric deficit and hard work will make you look good do it because youre worth it at any age
  • secwife47
    secwife47 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Never too late, Im 57 and have lost 40 pounds since the end of January. Log, log, log, everything that goes in your mouth. And personally don't try fads. I eat what I feed my husband. Just portion control. I stop and think " do I really need more". And get moving walking is free. When I look back at how easy the last 5 months have been. Im ashamed of myself. It took several health scares to get me to this point. Im missed out on a lot of fun in life. Hiding because of my weight. Do it now. You can people on here are great you will find support and we all know want you are going thru. Some are struggling with 10 pounds and others with a 100 or more. Good luck and add me if you like.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    you CAN do it if you want to - absolutely there is hope. look at me - i'm turning 57 in a few days, and since may first have not only lost weight, but have improved as far as fitness by walking and in strength, as well.
  • quatermore
    quatermore Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Well of course you can lose weight at 60!!! I'm 64 and feeling better with every pound I lose. MFP has kept me accountable for the food portion of my weight loss journey. Log in daily and be accurate with your logging and you will get there. It's worth it
  • PurpleLogic
    Options
    I am also just starting ... day 2 here!
    I must have read the scale wrong, but the Dr weighed me last week at 160 also. So I will just accept I lost 4 lbs last night! LOL
    Anyway I have been struggling to accept my size increase since I quit smoking 4 yrs ago just after going through the dreaded menopause and starting medications with cortisone.
    Due to Asthma and COPD my exercise has been limited to walking and gardening. I am hoping to increase it to include swimming more often.
    I am promising myself to log everything to keep me aware of intake and effort.
    So it was so nice to see many positive results and hope to be one soon:flowerforyou:
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Hello and Welcome! I'm 58 and I've been on here for over a year. I weighed 191 when I started and didn't EVER want to weigh 200. My progess is slow because my husband and I like to travel and I usually gain about 7 - 8 pounds back after every trip, but that can go back off. Everyday is a new begiining. Everyday will not be good but tomorrow starts a new beginning. Good luck to ya!:flowerforyou: