Colleague's taunt

Options
2»

Replies

• benaddict
    benaddict Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Actually I found her comment quite rude. Basically she is saying that the weight that was lost was through giving birth (literally baby weight). I would never ask someone if they are losing weight, particular a new mother. "You look lovely and how is your baby doing these days" would be more appropriate. Only your doctor should ask how much you have lost since giving birth. She is lucky you don't have post-mortem depression - other moms would have been hysterical.

Sorry but I had to LOL at postmortem depression!! Postmortem means after death... I think the word you were searching for was "postpartum" which means after childbirth. :laugh:

OP, I have a coworker who's constantly saying snarky crap because she feels superior to everyone else. I just laugh at her. Keep working. You can lose the weight, she probably can't stop being b!tchy.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents, but regardless if YOU were discussing YOUR weightloss or lack thereof, her comment was snarky and tactless.
  • pure777
    pure777 Posts: 10
    Options
    Has she got kids? if so maybe it took her ages to lose the baby weight and shes jealous.. if shes not got kids.. maybe she can't have them and is lashing out.. maybe she is an ugly person inside and has no one to love her.. or maybe shes just being a total cow.. who cares.. its her problem.. you have a healthy happy baby who has lived in your body for 9 months does it really matter what this twit says.. feel confident knowing that for 9months your body had 2 heads, 4 arms , 4 legs and 2 completely different sets of dna.. if that doesn't change a persons body shape for a while after what the hell will.. lmao.. chin up chick.. xxxx
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I deal with similar situations at work a lot. You need to keep in mind, she is not your friend, you do not have to be friends, and she is only someone you have to be civil and respectful towards.

Avoid having the conversations, don't even entertain it, don't bother making side comments where you are subconsciously fishing for compliments from people who don't care about you.

Come HERE for compliments, we have LOTS of them. And when you are at work, remind yourself - those people don't care about you, they are probably miserable and only seek to hurt you to make themselves feel better.

YOU ARE DOING GREAT!! And it's not just BABY weight. What an ignorant thing for her to say!

<3<3<3
  • tabitha2770
    tabitha2770 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Having been someone who literally gained all water and baby weight when I was pregnant, i can understand why this would upset you. First when I was pregnant I gained 26 lbs. I had her on a Thursday and the following Thursday (7 days later) I had lost all 26 lbs. I literally was water and baby! Now the reason I can understand why you are upset is because if it was all Water and Baby you would have lost that quicker than 18 months. I don't mean that to be mean, I mean that to say that you have in 18 months lost what you have and her saying that discredits the work you have done. Now maybe some is water and some isn't. First, she doesn't matter! Second, she is probably jealous. Third, there is not a race to get baby weight off. It isn't a contest because its harder and easier for some people. I lost 26 lbs and didn't even try, but It wasn't because I'm some super awesome person like they try to make the celebrities seem like, its because I was sick as hell the entire 9 months and on bed rest the last two months because I had so many complications and was swollen so bad. Keep doing what you are doing and don't worry about what others say. Another thing... It isn't what people say, its how its said so US reading your post can't fully understand how she meant it because we didn't hear the tone in which it was said. If you felt it was an insult use that and move on. It isn't a contest to be better than someone else. The only thing that matters is that YOU are better than who you were yesterday! Good luck...
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    That was a rude comment and totally uncalled for. It's tough to lose the weight you put on during pregnancy. Life has changed and you've added a baby to the mix of working, tending house etc.

People gage losing baby weight with how celebrities look weeks later. Big difference. They have the time and the means to hire the personal trainers and the hours on end of working out. Most of us can't do that, so we lose slowly and steadily.

Don't let her get you down.
  • MammaMouse
    MammaMouse Posts: 52
    Options
    I'm sorry but I don't get it...how is that making fun of you? Unless there was some snarky tone attached to her response, I think you're just being sensitive and she was trying to be nice by making excuses for you not having lost all the weight.

I have read and re-read her statement, and I don't understand how it could NOT be taken as an insult. She's essentially saying "Oh, so you haven't actually lost any weight then, just what comes off when you give birth".

I would honestly ignore her, OP. She's being a snarky C-U-Next-Tuesday and is obviously not worth your time, regardless of how the topic came up. 10kg is a great start, especially for a new mom.
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Next time she brings up the topic of your weight, just tell her "I'm sorry but that's not a topic I wish to discuss at work."
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    It really stinks to have to work with someone like that. Next time call her out on her rudeness (using work appropriate language, of course). If she does it again after that, go to HR or your boss, whichever is appropriate for you company. No one should work in a hostile environment. If there are no consequences for her actions, she will keep doing it.
  • missemmibelle
    missemmibelle Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have never had anyone bring up my baby weight in conversation who wasn't:

1) An ex
    2) Unable to conceive children
    3) Has body issues of their own

In other words, ignore it. Don't even entertain it with a response.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Maybe I took her serioulsy this time... yeah me super sensitive.

When I joined this office ( first time ), she actually thought I am "intern" though I joined as "lead".
    after child birth.. I do look my age and bulky. :sad:

Sounds like she has a case of the baaaad attitude, then. Sorry you have to work with her. :frown: I would take that type of comment as being very rude and hurtful, too. Ugh!