Upcoming holiday

Options
We have another holiday coming up in the US... July 4th. Holidays are so difficult when you're trying to stick to a calorie deficit, especially if you're with family or friends who are eating large amounts of burgers, hot dogs, etc and wonder why you're eating like a bird. How do you guys plan to handle the 4th?

Replies

• jiagetsfit
    jiagetsfit Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Holidays are tough. I usually pig out during holidays. My colleague told me her secret. Before the holidays come, she plans out tough workouts. So when she is tempted to eat any junk, the soreness in her body stops her and scared to undo her hard work. I'm gonna try this when holidays come. I'm sure it works, because she never gains a pound after holidays.

Hope it is helpful.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I would treat holidays like 4th July like I will treat my 2 weeks vacation, eat and drink what I want in moderation, enjoy my time with my family and face the consequences when the vacation is over.

There is enough stress in our day to day lives without allowing ourselves to get stressed about what we eat on special occasions

Moderation is the key and always remember we are armed with the knowledge to get back on track afterwards

Its not a few days a year that results in being overweight its what we do all the other days!
  • jiagetsfit
    jiagetsfit Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I would treat holidays like 4th July like I will treat my 2 weeks vacation, eat and drink what I want in moderation, enjoy my time with my family and face the consequences when the vacation is over.

There is enough stress in our day to day lives without allowing ourselves to get stressed about what we eat on special occasions

Moderation is the key and always remember we are armed with the knowledge to get back on track afterwards

Its not a few days a year that results in being overweight its what we do all the other days!

Its an inspiring perspective. :)
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    That's what I want to do, just enjoy the day with family or friends and not worry about food.. but it's so easy to binge.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Meh. The fourth is only one day. One day of skipping my diet for one meal isn't going to do much damage.

It's when that one day extends to the entire weekend. THAT's a problem. But the fourth is just one day.
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I usually eat something healthy (like a salad or steamed veggies) BEFORE going to the cookout so I don't get there starving. That way, even if I am tempted to pig out, my stomach is already half-full and can't handle as much junk
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I look at it as one day. I didn't become overweight in a day, so if I workout and take a break from counting calories, knowing the next day is back to normal I am totally okay with that. I plan to enjoy everything that comes with the holiday, from food, to drinks to friend, family and fireworks. No worries!
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I usually eat something healthy (like a salad or steamed veggies) BEFORE going to the cookout so I don't get there starving. That way, even if I am tempted to pig out, my stomach is already half-full and can't handle as much junk

That's a good idea. If I have a couple of granola bars and fill up on water I shouldn't want three burgers and two hot dogs and three pieces of corn and four slices of watermelon.....

No, I'm not kidding, that is how I used to eat.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    That's what I want to do, just enjoy the day with family or friends and not worry about food.. but it's so easy to binge.

While that is true lets put this into perspective.

Imagine your maintenance calories are 2,000 per day so you can eat that much without gaining any weight

Ok now lets say we had a big day and ate 5,500 calories, which means we have eaten enough to gain 1 lb of fat

Now lets imagine we had a really really good day and ate 9,000 calories and can gain 2 lbs of fat

But the other 6 days of the week we eat 1,750 calories so deduct 0.5 lbs of that gain already

Even if it were the case that we gain 2 lbs how long will it take to lose it again, 1 week, 2 weeks, maybe 4 weeks? Certainly before the next holiday :smile:
  • easeintofitness
    Options
    I can't eat gluten, so the holidays are super easy since almost everything has wheat in it. I guess you could pretend to be gluten free for the day?