AM Gym Success! And pre-workout fuel question...

Options
Hey everyone, I just wanted to share a small win I experienced today! About two months ago, my husband and I purchased a new home. Exciting, yes- but I allowed my nightly workout routine and healthy eating lifestyle to go completely by the wayside. Which is crazy, since my health and energy is most important when life gets busy and stressful!

Anyhow, I figure that a change in routine may be just what I need to get back into the swing of things. And so I have been trying to force myself out of bed at 5:30 every morning for the past week to get to the gym- which has been ending in smashing the snooze button to the point of abuse.

...except for today! Today I jogged, planked and squatted the morning away, and I couldn't be happier to share that with you all!

Quick question while I'm at it- what do you all go to in the am for a little pre-workout fuel? I grabbed a spoonful of natural peanut butter and water, then had a protein shake when I got home, which felt pretty good. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• chub_nugget
    Options
    I use Cellucor C4 (Blue Razz flavor), and then have an ON protein shake when I get to work. I drink a lot of caffeine so I don't feel any intense "pump up" that some people might from the preworkout. It tastes delicious though, and even if it might be a placebo effect it definitely makes me feel ready to lift heavy things!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Black coffee..... lots of. Pre and Post (and during).
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I only do the gym in the morning!! I love it!! It's my time!! I go for a half banana and water before my workout and peanut butter on Ezeikiel toast right after with my coffee!!
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Firstly, yay for you! The first step is often the hardest (especially when it means leaving a cozy bed). The early morning hours really are amazing though for workouts. Nice and quiet and not many people out on the streets yet.

I second the banana and water. It sits nicely in the stomach without causing too many issues during the workout. Especially if you're doing any intense cardio. Speaking from experience, a run on a full stomach of eggs and toast is likely to end messily lol!
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    C4 is my go to prework out.
    Watermelon or orange.

Then I have a quest bar or shake afterwards, unless my workout if before supper.
    I have been drinking muscle pharm's combat powder.

Although, I only use 1/2 of a scoop if my workout is after 5 pm.
  • dinoring
    dinoring Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you all for the advice and encouragement! I'll definitely try some of those out- I've never had C4 before, but it sounds like it's a popular go-to. And bananas are always a favorite...
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Rapid Drive BCAA 5000 Fruit Punch + a Green Tea supp
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'd be careful with a pre-workout supplement. Some people get very dependent on them and then when they don't use them, they feel as though they don't have the energy to even get through a workout. If you do start using a pre-workout supplement, make sure you cycle yourself off every so often so your body doesn't get used to having it every day. And it can affect people differently. I never have caffiene, so the one time I did take a pre-workout I felt like I was super amped up, like my heart was racing, and I sweated like a mo-fo, even more than usual.

I use food to fuel my workouts. Banana, protein bar, oatmeal, anything that's doesn't have a lot of seasoning. Weird, but I like to have bland foods before a workout in case I start burping lol. TMI

Edit- if you do want to try a supplement I'd suggest something with green tea, since it's natural.
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I don't like exercising too soon after eating, so I have some water, coffee, hit the gym, then have a shake when I get home.
  • dinoring
    dinoring Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    xiamjackie- I just looked up C4, and though I'm sure it's great for some, I'll probably stay away from supplements that have an abundance of caffeine or other stimulants, due to dietary preferences. Thank you for the heads up! Green tea is right up my alley though, I'll have to add that in!