can you recomp while maintaining?

Options
I know that recomp is done in cut/bulk cycles. But, I was wondering if anyone on here has experienced loosing bodyfat and gaining muscle while in maintenance. I've been in maintnence for six weeks and am planning on another six weeks before starting another cut in the fall and then (gulp) a bulk next spring. My long term goal is to get to 22% body fat which I know is going to take a while. Current stats 5'3" 142# 28% body fat (based off pictures). Thanks for any feedback!

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's what I spent the first year I lifted weights doing. I dropped by body fat percentage around 5-6%, which isn't huge. Recomping is slower that bulk/cut cycles.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Yes, particularly during the first year or so. It is slower but it's also emotionally easier for many people.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's what I spent the first year I lifted weights doing. I dropped by body fat percentage around 5-6%, which isn't huge. Recomping is slower that bulk/cut cycles.
    Dropping 5-6% is amazing Amber! So, that was your first year lifting? Do you feel part of that was being new to lifting? I wonder if that would work for me as ive been lifting for a few years now. I would love to recomp while in maintnence...It would mean not doing another cut which would be awesome!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Dropping 5-6% is amazing Amber! So, that was your first year lifting? Do you feel part of that was being new to lifting? I wonder if that would work for me as ive been lifting for a few years now. I would love to recomp while in maintnence...It would mean not doing another cut which would be awesome!

Yes I think a large part was taking advantage of my newbie gains. I imagine you could still do it but it might be quite a bit slower.
  • parkparksarah
    Options
    Recomp?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Recomp?

Change body tissue composition, i.e. lose fat and gain muscle
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for a little over 6 months now. I dropped a bunch of inches, and about 1-2% BF during that time. I've been lifting for about a year and a half.

Progress is really slow doing it this way, but I'm not ready for another cut anytime soon.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes. Results will depend on your:
    Training
    Age (older = slower)
    Gender (twice as slow for women)
    Training years (the longer you have been trainer the slower the progress)
    Your start point (e.g. how lean you are already, fatter may equal faster)
    Your past (have you been in great shape before?)
    And genetics.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    For me..No.

I'm an older dude...my newbie gains (read goldie locks period) is way over. So for me, I see mainteance as a resting point between bulk/cut cycles. A point to let my body "chill out" and not look to getting bigger or leaner.

I must admit, it's my least favorite phase, as my body basically stalls. Trust me, I push it to the limits as any stage I'm at, but without either subtracting or adding calories, it pretty much just normalizes (is that a word?).

The only good thing about it, is that you can eat more after a cut. :drinker:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have been weight lifting on and off for about 13 years now, but for the first 12 it was mostly the machines with some free weights. Last year I stopped doing the machines and began weight lifting, along with eating at a calorie deficit. In about January of this year, I stepped up the weight lifting and I am lifting much heavier now. I am maintaining weight but I've noticed the loss of inches and more definition all over, especially in legs and arms. I have no idea if I have decreased body fat, increased muscle, but I like the results no matter what is happening to my body.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I know that recomp is done in cut/bulk cycles. But, I was wondering if anyone on here has experienced loosing bodyfat and gaining muscle while in maintenance. I've been in maintnence for six weeks and am planning on another six weeks before starting another cut in the fall and then (gulp) a bulk next spring. My long term goal is to get to 22% body fat which I know is going to take a while. Current stats 5'3" 142# 28% body fat (based off pictures). Thanks for any feedback!

You're only going to lose body fat on a deficit, whether that is a long term cut or just a day. You can try cutting on some days per week and bulking on others, which is sort of where I am, but I am at 19/20% bf and only want to lose a pound of fat and build my glutes now. It will still take a few months to do that.

I'd keep cutting if I were you. You could lose 5 pounds of fat on a slow cut by October, (approx 250 cal deficit per day), and get really good at lifting for your bulk. I waited until I got down to 16% body fat to bulk on 8 pounds, and have been cutting since February and it's taking a long time to cut that winter fat off and get my fitness back.

You'd be in a better position to bulk by then
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I've been eating closer to maintenance, at a very -slight- deficit. My weight has stayed very similar but my bf% is creeping down. I've only lost about 5-6 pounds, but have lost 4% bf so far.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    For me..No.

I'm an older dude...my newbie gains (read goldie locks period) is way over.
    So for me, I see mainteance as a resting point between bulk/cut cycles. A point to let my body "chill out" and not look to getting bigger or leaner.

I must admit, it's my least favorite phase, as my body basically stalls. Trust me, I push it to the limits as any stage I'm at, but without either subtracting or adding calories, it pretty much just normalizes (is that a word?).

The only good thing about it, is that you can eat more after a cut. :drinker:
    Guess that shows how results differ - I'm an even older dude, been training since 1975 and recomp is still working for me.
    Not fast, but still making progress.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    ^^^^Good on ya Mate. Took a look at your pics...looking good man!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    OP: Since we are pals, have you seen my blog & photos about my Eat to Perform challenge?
  • dcarter1020
    dcarter1020 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    These responses are great for me. I'm a newbie getting closer to goal, and this is something I'm trying to do. I appreciate all the insight!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting a recomp (eating at maintenance, starting NROLFW). No results to report yet though.