Running at over 200 pounds in weight?

Options

Replies

• JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    considering that soldiers often have to PT while carrying/wearing 80+ pounds in gear/body armor/etc....and obviously the "average" military member would be > 120 lbs bodyweight...

there are very small/light people who can't run due to joint pain & there are people who are 200+ pounds bodyweight who it doesn't bother one bit.

give it a try; just start slow (low mileage) and see if it bothers you or not.

also worth making sure you're wearing shoes that are very supportive/properly fit.

just my $0.02
  • fryfat
    fryfat Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is to listen to your body. Don't "push through the pain" - that's how I fractured my pelvis!

If you have a dirt trail near you, use that instead of pavement. And don't buy "minimalist" shoes, at least not yet, go for cushioning.
  • trinacrick
    trinacrick Posts: 41
    Options
    I just started running again after being unable to for months for various reasons. Add a 40 pound weight gain on top of that and I am running at over 200 lbs. It is harder but it is definitely doable.

My advice, from personal experience. Start SLOW. The first thing I did was commit to walking 20 minutes per day, every day, rain or shine. I use Map My Run and when I saw that I was going further in that 20 minutes, I started running part of it. I continued from there. Couch to 5 K is a great program but if you feel like it is ramping you up too quickly, take it slow. A big part of running is patience. It is easy to not only get injured, but even worse get discouraged and quit, when you try to go too fast and/or too far.

Good luck! Would love to keep up with your progress if you want to add me!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    206, love running.

I just started, so I'm only doing a half mile at a time. I started with brisk walking/jog, now I'm up to running almost the whole half mile.

Just listen to your body and take it slow.
  • Muzica1959
    Muzica1959 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You folks ROCK!!! Thank you so much. I just started walking a little over a week ago. Finally worked my way up to a full mile comfortably. Last night, I added a few 30 second jogging intervals and today my legs are sore but nothing intolerable. My plan is to walk with the added 30 sec intervals until I get up to 3 miles comfortably then I will start the C25K program and go from there. My first major goal is to do a 5K in October of this year. I will turn 55 this Halloween and that will be my gift to myself. I plan to take this slow and easy and listen to my body. I may run like a turtle in molasses but hey, if I keep plugging along...I WILL get there.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    I started at around 200 mark. I did the C2k5 program. Its a fantastic program!! It incorporates walking intervals with running intervals and starts you off slow. This helps build your base for running longer each time as with any exercise . You have to do what feels right for you. and constult a doctor if needed. I glad I tried the program and now I have move on to the c210k trainer app.

My advice for running would be.. get good running shoes and running socks. A really good sports bra comes in handy too. Im glad I invested in the proper clothing . Bodyglide is also a big help. it helps with chaffing It makes all the difference. Happy running
  • Muzica1959
    Options
    I am also doing dance aerobics 5 days per week as well as beginning strength training 3 times per week on M W F.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Running 2-3 times per week.

225 pounds. Started running at 250 pounds.

My joints are fine, and getting better every step.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Been running a long time, and when I was 315, it was very stressfull on my knees until I found a really good pair of sneakers, and I made sure to take osteo-biflex everyday.
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I did when I was over 200..I still do,my joints didnt hurt anymore then they do now,,tho I didnt jog as far or as fast then.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I started running at around 290lbs (female 5'6", 41 y-o at the time). I started with C25K but only did 1 or 2 sessions a week with swimming, exercise bike or elliptical 3 or 4 times a week. It did make my knees a bit sore so I iced them after ever run which really helped, but it was a 'sore from new exercise' pain rather than 'OMG You are killing me!' pain. I now run 20-25miles a week (am still just under 190lbs), am a member of my local running club, do my weekly Park Run (and have a5k PB of 28:36 currently), have completed a number of 10ks and have 3 Half Marathons in the next 3 months (first is on Sunday). I've never felt better - no knee pain, I can run for 2hrs without stopping (did 11.1miles on Sunday) so anybody who says don't try doesn't know what they are talking about!

Listen to your body, if something hurts (not just new exercise aches) then ease up or stop. Speed will come as you get fitter and lighter so don't worry about how quick you are (my first 5k took me 50mins and I could walk it quicker). You may find it takes a few weeks before you really start to enjoy running (ie when the joy of running is greater than the gasping, heart-pounding feeling you get when you run too quickly) but stick with it. I'm totally addicted now!

Best of luck :)

ETA: Make sure you have well fitted trainers from a proper running shop, the expense is worth it to minimise your risk of injury. Also I take Glucosamine with MSM every day which seems to help my joints.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice. I'll add my story.

I'm a 45 year old male, 5'11". I started running in January 2012 with C25K. At the time I weighed 307 lbs (already down from a high of 347).

Thanks to MFP and running, I dropped 77 more pounds and have continued to run. To date, I've run 5 half marathons and am now training for my first full marathon later this year. I've put back on a bit of the weight, so I am still at 250 pounds. Even at my lowest I was 235ish.

Here's my advice if you want to run.

1. Heed the advice on shoes. Get good ones and use them just for running.
    2. Follow the plan with C25K... only run 3 days a week during that 9 weeks. Don't try to throw in any additional running. Do cross train if you feel like it (walking on non-running days is fine).
    3. Especially during C25K, make sure you stretch after your runs. You will be stressing your muscles, bones and ligaments in your legs and feet in ways that they are not used to.
    4. If it feels too hard, slow down. The biggest thing to cause injury in beginning runners is trying to run too fast.
    5. If you feel like you can't run any slower... see number 4 above.
    6. Your body will adapt and strengthen your legs, but it takes time. Don't be in a rush. If you feel pain, back off for a day or two so you don't overdo it.

Good luck!

Ted
  • sheedy17
    sheedy17 Posts: 128
    Options
    I started at 287 pounds and started jogging. I walked my routine for a couple weeks and then started jogging and now going hard sprints
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I started doing C25K at 210lbs and I had to stop after 2 sessions as my knees gave out completely.

I started to have terrible trouble with my knees, hips and ankles (all weak areas for me anyway) and the pain become something I could not ignore anymore.

Such a shame as I was really enjoying it! I also have the same trouble when my Husband and I hike, coming down is MUCH harder on me that going up the mountain and i'm sore for 2 weeks.

It completely depends on how you feel. Take it slow and give it a go!

I will be trying it again once the majority of weight has come off (I am aiming for 140lbs so a fair way to go yet) but in the meantime doing some brisk walking and home DVD's.

I hope that this helps you :)

Kaela x
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Over 200 lbs. Only have problems if I really over do it. Which for me is over 5 miles.
  • fitfatty88
    fitfatty88 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Here's my $0.02 -

I started running at 281 lbs. I completed my first half marathon in May at about 279 lbs. I'm training for my second half marathon in September and while I haven't weighed myself yet this month (weird personal challenge) I'm def not under 200! lol. It is possible, but here's my tips:

1) Listen to your body. Nobody knows you but you. If your ankles feel weak or your knees are aching, nobody is forcing you to run. JUST KEEP MOVING. Even if you run 0.25 miles and walk another 2, that's more than you may have done the week before.

2) Go to a shoe store. Find out if there's a Second Sole or Achilles or something similar near you. They can look at your gait and what your needs are and find something that works for you. I was getting microblisters and knee pain on my right side because of my previous running shoes. They were great for short distances but my 8 mile practice runs were killer. A solid pair of cotton socks (put them on fresh before you run, not a pair you've been wearing all day) and my Adidas Boosts and I was golden.

3) I saw someone previously mention body glide...I only really used that when I started going out for more than 5 miles at a time. But it's different for everyone. Honestly, my best piece of workout gear outside of my shoes was a nice pair of compression leggings. I find my legs fatigue less and at like $12-17 a pair at Old Navy...you can get a few. Plus less issues with chub rub or shorts riding up places you don't want them to :tongue:

4) HYDRATE! Keep yourself hydrated not only through a run/walk, but just throughout the day. I keep an embark water bottle on my desk all day at work so I can see "ok I have 12 oz left..." You're less likely to run into quick muscle fatigue and cramping if you're hydrated properly. High quality H2O all the way.

5) Don't forget the post-run stretch! It KILLS me when I see someone run and be like "ok cool" and go about their day. Just 5 minutes of static and dynamic stretching after a run can save you a WORLD of pain. You'll thank yourself in the morning if you do this.

6) If you sincerely have concerns (and not because someone you're friends with is like 'omg you shouldn't run you'll hurt yourself!')....talk to your doctor. That's what they're there for. A $20 copay is much easier on the wallet then a $3K deductible on knee surgery later on, ya know?

Anyhow, go out, run your legs out, have FUN! Get some good headphones, make a playlist and jam out. Have fun at that 5K! You'll do great.
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Poppycock!

I started running at 325 pounds... I was slow as a geriatric turtle running thru molasses, but I ran.

Running is one of the things that helped me lose 100 pounds.

Concentrate on Form.

Concentrate on Healthy eating.

Find a program that works for you.

Drop the unsupportive friend who said people over 200 shouldn't be running. They are wrong on so many levels!

Get out, get busy, get running and HAVE SOME FUN!

And For what its worth... I will always be over 200 pounds and I just completed my 25th Half Marathon this year!

Rant over!

You're doing fabulous! Any other questions?
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Poppycock!

I started running at 325 pounds... I was slow as a geriatric turtle running thru molasses, but I ran.

Running is one of the things that helped me lose 100 pounds.

Concentrate on Form.

Concentrate on Healthy eating.

Find a program that works for you.

Drop the unsupportive friend who said people over 200 shouldn't be running. They are wrong on so many levels!

Get out, get busy, get running and HAVE SOME FUN!

And For what its worth... I will always be over 200 pounds and I just completed my 25th Half Marathon this year!

Rant over!

You're doing fabulous! Any other questions?

PS -> You did know that running actually strengthens the bones and muscles in the legs right? Food for thought article ->

http://www.runnersworld.com/health/benefits-running?page=single
  • Muzica1959
    Options
    I am so glad I asked the question. I feel much better about things now. Thanks for all of the advice, the articles etc. As soon as it cools down some here I will be right back out there doing what I do 5 nights a week but now I won't be afraid to add those 30 second intervals of running in. Soon, very soon, I will be able to call myself a "Runner". Thank you all once again.

P.S. It wasn't a friend who suggested I shouldn't run at my weight, it was a post on this site in the Couch to 5k running program under a discussion "Unable to Complete Day 1". It was someone basically saying she had heard or read that you shouldn't run over 200 pounds. Anyway, now I know better.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    You gotta do what works for you..............