I Am So Freaking Dizzy!

Options
I don't know what's going on. At the beginning of the year I started exercising regularly for 2-3 hours a day and felt great! Then a few months in I noticed that I started getting dizzy on the elliptical. No big deal, I thought. I just stopped using the elliptical. And I was fine for a few months still exercising for 1.5-2 hours a day, no problem. Now in the past couple of months every time I exercise I just get dizzier and dizzier. It's getting so bad that I'm even getting dizzy/a very high heart rate just using the stationary bike and walking on a treadmill. Any clue what may be going on/ what I'm doing wrong/ what I should do. I really love to work out and haven't been able to enjoy doing so in months now.

Replies

• fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Vertigo perhaps? Have you gone to the doctor?

I have vertigo and it comes and goes, but when it flares up I definitely get dizzy on the elliptical and treadmill.
  • sheedy17
    sheedy17 Posts: 128
    Options
    Do you drink a lot of water before you workout? While working out? Do you eat before you work out? Do you eat a certain amount of calories per day, maybe you are starving yourself?

If you do all the above (minus the starvation mode) you may want to see a doctor,

But without knowing your habits, its hard to know why this is happening
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I haven't went to the doctor. It may be it though. What do you do to control it?
  • FreshKrisKreash
    Options
    Do you drink a lot of water before you workout? While working out? Do you eat before you work out? Do you eat a certain amount of calories per day, maybe you are starving yourself?

If you do all the above (minus the starvation mode) you may want to see a doctor,

But without knowing your habits, its hard to know why this is happening

Actually for a few months now I've been eating a lot more than I should but I haven't gained any weight, which is odd. I've been very hungry lately. I never work out without eating and I always drink water before, during and after I work out.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Go to a Dr and get checked out - you might need an EKG and/or a stress test.
  • FreshKrisKreash
    Options
    Go to a Dr and get checked out - you might need an EKG and/or a stress test.

What does a stress test show the doctors about my health?
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I just checked out your food log diary. Not sure if you've actually been using that as a reference, but I can see that it's given you a daily calorie goal of 1,230. That's entirely too low if you've honestly been working out at a fair intensity for 1.5-2hrs on a regular basis. You'll want to up that for starters. But I would also go to see a doctor because you don't want to play around with things like dizziness.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I don't know what's going on. At the beginning of the year I started exercising regularly for 2-3 hours a day and felt great! Then a few months in I noticed that I started getting dizzy on the elliptical. No big deal, I thought. I just stopped using the elliptical. And I was fine for a few months still exercising for 1.5-2 hours a day, no problem. Now in the past couple of months every time I exercise I just get dizzier and dizzier. It's getting so bad that I'm even getting dizzy/a very high heart rate just using the stationary bike and walking on a treadmill. Any clue what may be going on/ what I'm doing wrong/ what I should do. I really love to work out and haven't been able to enjoy doing so in months now.

You need to see a Doctor. I'm sure it's nothing serious but it needs to be checked out asap.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

How many calories are you eating per day? Dizziness can be a symptom of not eating enough and if you are getting it persistantly and exercising THAT much my first assumption is that you are eating far to little.

If you exercise 2-3 hours a day I hope you are eating at least 2000 calories.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    See a doctor
  • FreshKrisKreash
    Options
    I just checked out your food log diary. Not sure if you've actually been using that as a reference, but I can see that it's given you a daily calorie goal of 1,230. That's entirely too low if you've honestly been working out at a fair intensity for 1.5-2hrs on a regular basis. You'll want to up that for starters. But I would also go to see a doctor because you don't want to play around with things like dizziness.

Yeah, I used to try for that but I haven't in about 3 months because of the scariness that's been happening at the gym.
  • FreshKrisKreash
    Options

How many calories are you eating per day? Dizziness can be a symptom of not eating enough and if you are getting it persistantly and exercising THAT much my first assumption is that you are eating far to little.

Well I haven't been keeping track of them for a few months but I would roughly estimate that I eat 1500-2500 depending on the day and haven't been able to knock out a killer workout in about 3 months.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. Assuming you're well hydrated and eating sufficiently, your body can just all of a sudden have an issue. 4yrs ago, after mono, I started having heart problems and couldn't workout without becoming horribly ill. Daily medication and regular doctor visits and I'm back to 'normal' workouts and life.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Yeah, I used to try for that but I haven't in about 3 months because of the scariness that's been happening at the gym.

Yeah 1200 calories per day + 2-3 hours of exercise it is no wonder you were dizzy. You need to eat a lot more than that OP and it sounds like you are beginning to realize that. I'd honestly suggest in addition to going to the doctor you talk to your doctor about your approach to dieting and try to get some advice there as well.

Personally I'd say you should back off the amount you are exercising for a bit and greatly increase your caloric intake. You are probably very low blood sugar.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Well I haven't been keeping track of them for a few months but I would roughly estimate that I eat 1500-2500 depending on the day and haven't been able to knock out a killer workout in about 3 months.

Well that certainly sounds more reasonable. Yeah, see a doctor. I mean no one here is going to be able to diagnose you over the internet. To me it sounds like low blood sugar from not enough food and to much exercise but I'm admittedly just guessing.
  • FreshKrisKreash
    Options

Yeah 1200 calories per day + 2-3 hours of exercise it is no wonder you were dizzy. You need to eat a lot more than that OP and it sounds like you are beginning to realize that. I'd honestly suggest in addition to going to the doctor you talk to your doctor about your approach to dieting and try to get some advice there as well.

Personally I'd say you should back off the amount you are exercising for a bit and greatly increase your caloric intake. You are probably very low blood sugar.

Thanks. I will try it. I just have no clue what the right amounts of food are and now when I exercise I have no clue what to do without getting dizzy. :-/
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options

Thanks. I will try it. I just have no clue what the right amounts of food are and now when I exercise I have no clue what to do without getting dizzy. :-/

I think this might have some of the answers you're looking for in terms of daily caloric needs.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions?page=1

And when it comes to exercise I might play it slow for the next little bit until your eating is back on track.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    My guess would be that you're over-exercising and underfeeding your body. You don't have to exercise multiple hours per day...in fact, the only time I do that is when I'm actually training for something...and when I do, you better believe I'm eating big too.

You need to understand that exercise is not required for losing weight...exercise should be done for fitness...which means you should have fitness oriented goals that will help you train/exercise appropriately to achieve those goals...this would also include proper resting periods and a reasonable training schedule.

MFP is set up with your deficit included...that's why you're supposed to log and eat back exercise calories...that would be a good place to start...using the tool appropriately is always a pretty good idea. That said, at this point I would cease exercise and go see a doctor...then I'd get the whole calorie thing sorted out and then figure out a sustainable level of effort in RE to exercise and then I'd spend a bit of time researching on how to properly fuel my body for that effort.
  • FreshKrisKreash
    Options

Thanks for the link. :)

I think this might have some of the answers you're looking for in terms of daily caloric needs.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions?page=1

And when it comes to exercise I might play it slow for the next little bit until your eating is back on track.
  • FreshKrisKreash
    Options
    My guess would be that you're over-exercising and underfeeding your body. You don't have to exercise multiple hours per day...in fact, the only time I do that is when I'm actually training for something...and when I do, you better believe I'm eating big too.

You need to understand that exercise is not required for losing weight...exercise should be done for fitness...which means you should have fitness oriented goals that will help you train/exercise appropriately to achieve those goals...this would also include proper resting periods and a reasonable training schedule.

MFP is set up with your deficit included...that's why you're supposed to log and eat back exercise calories...that would be a good place to start...using the tool appropriately is always a pretty good idea. That said, at this point I would cease exercise and go see a doctor...then I'd get the whole calorie thing sorted out and then figure out a sustainable level of effort in RE to exercise and then I'd spend a bit of time researching on how to properly fuel my body for that effort.

At the moment I'm not even concerned with losing weight. I just want to be able to at least maintain until I can exercise for more than 5 minutes without getting dizzy.