Lifting with dumbbells?

Options
I've read topic after topic now about lifting heavy to see real changes in your body, and I've decided that this is definitely something I want to start incorporating into my workouts!

I've **dabbled** in lifting in the past when I had access to a full weight room. I now workout in the tiny fitness room in the basement of the hospital I work at--no squat racks, no barbells, only a few cardio machines and dumbbells (that seem pretty heavy to me).

Does anyone lift with just dumbbells, and do you have any advice or links you found useful that you could share about how to translate some common barbell lifts to dumbbells while maintaining proper form/safety?

Anything I should be wary of using dumbbells instead of a bar?

Thanks wonderful people!

Replies

• shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I primarily use barbells, but that's because I have poor form with dumbbells because my stability isn't great. Dumbbells are awesome because they require so much independent muscle work. A barbell keeps me relatively balanced. Dumbbells force your stabilizing muscles to work harder. When my back is stronger, I'll be looking at using more dumbbells for sure. Good luck!
  • Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I only use free weight (dumbbells) when I lift. I have a a set of each 5-50 pounds.

If you google "dumbbell exercises" you'll get thousands of results for free weight work outs. You may have to dig around to find exactly what you want but I promise you the answers are out there.

I am probably not getting the gains I could by using machines but I too only have a small space in the basement to lift and I've found buying the weights (and not spending money each month at the gym) has saved me a ton of money over the years.
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com has a FANTASTIC database for exercises. You go to exercises, then you can filter on muscle group (If you're looking to target different things on different days), and then I usually sort on the BB.com rating. From there you can select all the dumbbell exercises you see and like. They have videos for every move, and they differentiate between the barbell and dumbbell versions (and they have different ratings).

I notice that with dumbbells I have to use less weight, and do the movements more slow and controlled than I might with a barbell. As someone else mentioned, it's because of your stabilizing muscles working. But this is a good thing! It means you'll get more of those little cuts, and you won't have to do as many isolation exercises for things like forearms.

For example, with something like a chest press, if you use way too much weight on a dumbbell, your arm might fall out and down at the bottom, whereas, with a barbell it's much less likely to lose control like that. So be careful.
  • ryantrimble12
    ryantrimble12 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips/encouragement everyone! I'll definitely be checking out bodybuilding.com, the balance and control was what I was most worried about, sounds like I'll just have to take it slow :)
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I think Nia Shanks has a program that only uses dumbells - google her and you'll find the program :)
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Google search Dumbell only workouts. Or Jefit.com they also have an app. Good luck to you. :smile:
  • fatframe91
    Options
    I only use free weight (dumbbells) when I lift. I have a a set of each 5-50 pounds.

If you google "dumbbell exercises" you'll get thousands of results for free weight work outs. You may have to dig around to find exactly what you want but I promise you the answers are out there.

I am probably not getting the gains I could by using machines but I too only have a small space in the basement to lift and I've found buying the weights (and not spending money each month at the gym) has saved me a ton of money over the years.

Is there anyway you could post your workout or a good one to follow?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

^This.

Plus bodybuilding.com has a huge exercise database that includes variations as well.
  • fatframe91
    Options

^This.

Plus bodybuilding.com has a huge exercise database that includes variations as well.

How about an actual workout program that goes day by day, im not very good at figuring out how many and what kind I should be doing.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

^This.

How about an actual workout program that goes day by day, im not very good at figuring out how many and what kind I should be doing.

you just want everything spoon fed to you, don't you?
  • fatframe91
    Options

^This.

you just want everything spoon fed to you, don't you?

Considering this forum is here to ask questions and get help I really did not think was a big problem to link a program to use if someone is aware of one...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    google "dumb bell work out."
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Both work. You can lift more with barbells though.
  • anson808
    anson808 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    To see the biggest changes (besides diet - which is roughly 80% of the effort) I recommend the larger "compound" movements. Compound movements involve multiple muscles and joints in unison. Think: squats, deadlifts, rows, overhead presses, chest presses, pullups, dips, etc.

To get more resistance from a relatively lighter dumbbell, consider doing unilateral movements. This will force you to engage your core section more (balance) and that's a good thing.

Here's a good overall workout you can do with dumbbells

1. Bulgarian Split Squats
    2. Bent over dumbbell rows or Renegade rows
    3. Single leg Deadlifts
    4. Bosu ball chest press (or single leg pushups)
    5. Swimmers press

Every other workout, swap the chest presses for dips, and the rows for pullups.

That should keep you busy for a few months.
  • rlynnehawk
    rlynnehawk Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Bump