Weight-loss + increased fitness = side stitch?

Options
I used to get a side stitch as a kid in primary school when we did cross country runs and that sort of thing, and of course the teachers always said it was because of lack of fitness.

And I've been doing the couch to 5K thing and I'm at the point where I can run for 30 minutes at a time now so I'm at a reasonable fitness level I think.

When I started, I was over-weight and I had to push much harder physically, but I never once got a stitch in my side, when I reached a healthy BMI I started noticing that I would get them towards the end of a run.

Now (BMI of 24, about 2.5 kg under max healthy BMI), I get them all. the. time!

Today I walked to the shop (a 10 minute leisurely walk) and I got a stitch in my side. That never happened when I was unfit and over-weight.

It's driving me crazy. I have goals to reach here!

Anyone else experienced this or have any idea why it's happening?

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    not really sure why its happening.

its a cramp tho, are you drinking enough water?

Breathing as deeply as you can should help stretch it out
  • SrClaire
    SrClaire Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm drinking plenty of water :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    When I run immediately after I drink water I get a side stitch.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    One of the ideas for prevention that I read somewhere was taking full "belly" breaths and my NHS C25K podcast suggested that as well

So as you have gotten fitter have you changed your breathing pattern?
  • SrClaire
    SrClaire Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have made a point of learning to belly breathe and breathing through my mouth :)

I don't think I should be getting a side stitch from a gentle walk to the shop though. Surely that doesn't need water avoidance and belly breathing?
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have made a point of learning to belly breathe and breathing through my mouth :)

I don't think I should be getting a side stitch from a gentle walk to the shop though. Surely that doesn't need water avoidance and belly breathing?

Nope thats a strange one and maybe get it checked out if it persists