Hitting The Ol Bag

Options
I recently discovered my gym has both a speed bag and a heavy bag. I figured on recovery days (Days I'm not running or lifting) I could go in for an hour or so and hit the ol bag.

Here's my problem. I know nothing of gloves or hand wraps or anything to that nature. Is there a glove I could buy to supplement both bags without wraps or is wraps necessary?

Replies

• Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    lol and here I thought this was going to be a family violence thread ;)

I had a boyfriend who once referred to his mother as "The Old Boot". Suffice it to say he wasn't a boyfriend for more than 30 sec after that.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    Well, maybe I need to rename this thread, ha.
  • Dyl911
    Dyl911 Posts: 3
    Options
    I don't use wraps, but I do have two different sets of gloves. I have a small MMA-type pair and a 14oz. boxing pair. I don't use the speed bag (the noise makes me nuts), but I do use the heavy bag, both for kicking and punching.

On the heavy bag, you really need protection; I find my knuckles get bloody without them. A set of boxing gloves with a velcro closure would be fine for you. If you aren't using wraps, just make sure your form is good. Tweeking your wrist is NOT comfortable!

Hope this helps.

Full disclosure: I'm not a boxing instructor, but I am a martial arts instructor and we use the bags extensively.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    Thanks. Works for me. I actually looked at a pair of MMA type of glove.