Any vegetarians? How do you get enough protein?

Options
chjones21
chjones21 Posts: 33 Member
So I am a semi-vegetarian. I will eat fish and dairy but no meat. Having done my calorie diary for a week, I am good with the carbs at 49% but my protein is low at 14% and my fat too high at 37%. What do other vegetarians and/or vegans do to up their protein intake?

Thanks

Replies

• Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I eat the same way you do, and for a while, I wondered the same thing! I developed a habit of eating Greek yogurt with a scoop of whey protein powder and some hemp seeds and various other things added, for my breakfast almost every day when I was losing weight. That provided quite a lot of the protein I needed each day.

Do you eat eggs? Those are a great protein source. Also, try roasted soynuts. They are a delicious snack and are very high in protein. Also, low-fat cheeses are great for upping your protein intake.

Don't worry too much about your fat intake unless there are medical reasons for you to keep it low. If you cut down on fat too much, hormonal issues can ensue (though hormone problems will likely arrive if one gets to a very low body fat % no matter what you eat).

Any soy products are good for protein, though I personally don't like things like tofu and tempeh! And getting canned tuna and doing stuff with that-- like putting it on salad, adding it to pasta, etc. is a great way to get some animal-based protein.
  • chjones21
    Options
    Hi thanks linnaea ... Yes, I do eat eggs. I ate two this morning in a hope to up my protein percentage but think that got offset by the two slices o buttered toast "soldiers" I had to go with it!!

It seems tricky to get the right amount of protein. I am not worried too much about the fat - I don't really gain weight but think a bit more protein might be beneficial. I have bought some hemp protein but knowing a few more veggie sources high in protein is great too.
  • dfargher
    dfargher Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The easiest answer is beans and other legumes! They are also full of fiber and are very filling. Green veggies also have a lot of protein per calorie, it's just hard to eat very many calories of them. It is very hard to overeat green veggies and beans :-) Add them in slowly if you're not accustomed to the increased fiber.

Seeds generally have a higher protein content than nuts if you're worried about too much fat. You could try adding sesame seeds to your stir fry, or flax seeds in a smoothie, etc.

OTOH, I don't think you're doing as bad as it sounds. The RDA for protein for females age 19-70 is 46 grams. If you're on a 1400 calorie diet, that's only 13%. If you're doing a lot of strength training, you'll need a bit more, but your body can only absorb so much at once and everything else is stored as fat.
  • chjones21
    Options
    I LOVE green veg! Practically my staple food. Green beans with butter and black pepper - yum. Cale. Cabbage. Leeks. Courgette risotto etc etc.

Thanks v much for info of the Rda being 46 grams - am going to keep that figure as the one I monitor. Not worry too much about the percentage here despite the fact it would please me to have it all lined up perfectly!!!
  • Yogasvelte
    Yogasvelte Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, hummus, an ounce of raw almonds or cashews; a small amount of raw nut butters, seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, tons of chard, spinach, bok choy (they have protein), beans of every type, lentil soup, Toby's tofu pate (tastes like mixture for egg salad sandwich). I have slowly increased the amount of beans in my diet and I never suffer from gas - I really cook them thoroughly or used canned beans (digesting of undercooked beans and lentils will produce flatulence, I'm told).
  • chjones21
    Options
    Great gonna up my intake of nuts and seeds. The greens I eat a fair amount of anyway ... thanks Yogasvelte
  • moondazed
    moondazed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    it is soooo easy to get lots of protein (even with low calorie!!)
    lots and lots of tofu, protein powder, eggs, veggie substitues (some of them even have similar macro's to real meat, but taste x10000 times better imo), obvious but fish, beans...

There are a lot of simple recipes you can make when you need some more protein in as well but not a full meal! you could make a protein smoothie (150 cal), protein pancakes or protein 'mug cakes' (as low as 150 calories with almost 40g of protein aw yes!), ect. ect.

good luck in experimenting with yummy vegetarian foods! It's quite fun :)
  • Chelsarrr
    Chelsarrr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I get over 125g of protein a day without trouble as a vegan. Add me if you want to check out my diary!
  • chjones21
    Options
    Thanks Moondazed and Chelsarr for the tips.

And thanks also for the invite Chelsarr, I have asked to be added as a friend - you will be my first friend on MFP :-)!!
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    You are pescatarian-one whose diet includes fish but no other meat...not trying to split hairs but the definition will save you any headaches down the road.

Here are two guides for protein sources...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/articles/plant-food-protein-chart.pdf

ETA: There are a lot of vegetarian and vegan protein supplements out there, so you can make some awesome protein smoothies, or protein pancakes, oats etc.
  • Eastern_Echo23
    Eastern_Echo23 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    classic question to ask "plant-based" and vegetarians. The lack of protein is a myth. We get our proteins from fruits, vegetables, nuts, tofu, seeds, beans, and basically anything else you can think of that comes from nature. the problem most people face on the standard american diet (Dairy and Meat) is too much protein which can often be linked to illnesses and cancer. If your interested in learning more about Vegetarian nutrition you should check out Dr. Michael Greger on youtube. there are tons of 1 hour talks that goes in-depth on the topic of vegetarian / vegan nutrition.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Options
    classic question to ask "plant-based" and vegetarians. The lack of protein is a myth. We get our proteins from fruits, vegetables, nuts, tofu, seeds, beans, and basically anything else you can think of that comes from nature. the problem most people face on the standard american diet (Dairy and Meat) is too much protein which can often be linked to illnesses and cancer. If your interested in learning more about Vegetarian nutrition you should check out Dr. Michael Greger on youtube. there are tons of 1 hour talks that goes in-depth on the topic of vegetarian / vegan nutrition.
    Was unaware that tofu was a naturally occurring thing in nature:huh:

What is the "standard American diet" intake of protein?

A majority of people are actually deficient when it comes to protein intake, no matter what their dietary preference.

What formula for protein intake or amount would you recommend?

FYI: I am a long time vegan and vegetarian before that.
  • Eastern_Echo23
    Options
    To be honest i don't know the numbers off my head. I heard somewhere you really only need 45 grams (is that the right measurement) per day because you lose the rest with your bowel movements but i can't remember the nutrition article i read that in.

Soy beans occur in nature and have a good source of protein. Tofu according to some like Colin Campbell and Michael Greger are on of the few products that when processed maintain a majority of it's nutritional value. Im not an expert in nutrition by any means. I just know that anybody on a plant-based diet shouldn't worry too much about protein if your eating your daily calorie intake
  • Tinker_Aria
    Options
    Hi!

Beans, chickpeas, seeds, eggs are a good ways to up your protein needs. I'm not vegetarian, but I do not eat a lot of red meat.

So I try with all this stuff and after my workout I take a shake of Whey
  • Eastern_Echo23
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPt4vJUDGgw&index=3&list=PLeKqSNGy4USo8qsCgVI5_jyE0fJrdu3e4

I am currently watching this presentation right now. You guys might find it interesting
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Options
    To be honest i don't know the numbers off my head. I heard somewhere you really only need 45 grams (is that the right measurement) per day because you lose the rest with your bowel movements but i can't remember the nutrition article i read that in.

Soy beans occur in nature and have a good source of protein. Tofu according to some like Colin Campbell and Michael Greger are on of the few products that when processed maintain a majority of it's nutritional value. Im not an expert in nutrition by any means. I just know that anybody on a plant-based diet shouldn't worry too much about protein if your eating your daily calorie intake
    I (highly) doubt 45grams is an accurate recommendation.

I don't think it is good advice to tell people no matter what their dietary preference "I just know that anybody on a plant-based diet shouldn't worry too much about protein if your eating your daily calorie intake."

Especially if you can not cite some reputable science to back up your claims.

I recommend researching what protein is used for in the body, biovailability, etc

Recommending a broad statement that advocates not considering protein consumption on a site where many are in a calorie deficit when you admit that you are "not an expert in nutrition by any means." is irresponsible considering essential amino acids are proteins that cannot be manufactured by our bodies... as a result, they must come from food.

The nine essential amino acids are: histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan, and valine.

I am sure you meant well but I think your advice is unsound.
  • Eastern_Echo23
    Options
    Here is what PETA has to say about the topic. I am not a PETA member or a strict vegan. I am on a plant based diet. But this article is going along the lines of what i had read.

Nutrition experts estimate that most of us need between 0.8 and 1 gram of protein per day for every kilogram of body weight. That works out to 55 grams of protein per day for someone who weighs 150 pounds or approximately 10 percent of normal caloric intake (people in endurance training and pregnant women might require a bit more, of course). If a vegan eats a reasonably varied diet and consumes a sufficient amount of calories, he or she will undoubtedly get enough protein. And, unlike animal protein, plant-based protein sources contain healthy fiber and complex carbohydrates.

Read more: http://www.peta.org/living/food/much-protein-need/#ixzz34yaQZP6s

I guess that 45 number is on something else and discount that message. I'll be more careful on what i post in the future. The main point is you should be eating a balanced diet and shouldn't rely so much on processed foods.

Sorry if I annoyed anyone
  • chjones21
    Options
    That is fascinating!! Quinoa has 26. and pork chop only 5. ---- I never would have guessed that in a million years. I always think of protein as a meat based thing (or rather have always thought of - now I know better). Even Kale is up in the 15.s or so.

Wow. Who woulda thunk it!?!

thanks Deliverat. Very informative.
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescetarian with an open food diary if you're looking for ideas. I similarly struggled somewhat when I was upping my protein to 30% of my macros, but never have any problems with it anymore.
  • heavenlyb14
    heavenlyb14 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, please feel free to look at my diary for protein ideas.