Insanity - Losing Weight?

Options
How many calories intake should be enough to do a max workout?(restarting month 2)
I don't want to eat too much or eat too less.

I usually eat 1600-1700 calories and Im trying to lose some BF% so far I lost only 1 kg in weight. What is the recommend calorie intake? Perhaps take it down to 1400?
Do you have to diet in order to lose BF% fast or just keep eating 1600-1700 calories and gain muscles to replace the BF?
I heard it will take you a week or so to gain a pound of muscle. Which is more efficient?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Whats your height weight age? Also are you active outside of insanity? Do you have any medical issues? And do you use a food scale? And how long have you been tracking calories?

And you will not gain any muscle doing insanity. In fact, you will be lucky to preserve all of your muscle. Insanity isn't much in terms of resistance training and depending on protein levels, you could definitely struggle maintain lean body mass.
  • Tisue123
    Tisue123 Posts: 24
    Options
    -Height:5'3
    -Weight:70 kg
    -Currently not active :)
    -No medical issues
    -I do not use a food scale
    -I started yesterday
  • psuLemon
    Options
    -Height:5'3
    -Weight:70 kg
    -Currently not active :)
    -No medical issues
    -I do not use a food scale
    -I started yesterday

You need to give a plan 1 month, get a food scale as you are probably eating more calories than you think. And make sure you log every day for that one month. After that, then we can probably evaluate things. One thing I would suggest is increasing protein to about 30% of your total calories.
  • Tisue123
    Options
    Is insanity also good for losing BF? or should I just go to the gym?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Is insanity also good for losing BF? or should I just go to the gym?

Personally, I would use it as a supplemental program (use for your cardio days). Since you are already lean, I would recommend picking up a program like body beast (if youwant to workout at home) or get new rules of lifting for women or do strong lift 5x5 or beginner lift 5x5. At this point, you want to maintain your muscle and get all fat loss.
  • Tisue123
    Options
    What is the recomended calorie intake for a diet?
  • psuLemon
    Options

That will greatly depend on which program you do.

For insanity alone, around 1800 calories (pending you get a food scale). But most women I know eat 1700 to 2100 to lose weight when exercising between 5 to 6 hours a week.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Search the internet for your TDEE and take 10-20% away from that.

FYI....It takes way more than a week to put on a lb of muscle.

It takes: An on point diet (including a surplus of calories), Hours of progressive overload, genes.....it's exponentaily harder for females to put on muscle due to the lowered testosterone levels. A pro bodybuilding female would be doing pretty good to put on 1-2 lbs in muscle in probably 4-6 weeks.

I'd listen to psu and look into a progressive lifting program.

EDIT: I calculated TDEE for your stats here, and if you added insanity you'd probably be looking at a TDEE of ~2400. TDEE -20% of ~1900.
  • Tisue123
    Options
    It looks like ive been eating 1800 form the beginning of the work out and Ive lost a single kg, but im not entirely too sure. I thought 1400 is ideal for weight loss.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    It looks like ive been eating 1800 form the beginning of the work out and Ive lost a single kg, but im not entirely too sure. I thought 1400 is ideal for weight loss.
    1400 is an arbitrary number. As long as you are in a deficit you will lose weight. But again, without a food scale, you are probably miscalculating and are actually eating more than 1800 calories.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

1400 is low for you....just say'n.

You can't go by the scale when you first start a routine or add intensity to a current one. Your body will retain water for repair initially. I can gain 6lbs after a heavy lifting day.
  • Tisue123
    Options
    That;s good too hear, I cant survive with 1400!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    That;s good too hear, I cant survive with 1400!
    If it makes you feel better, I can barely survive on 2500 calories. You are young, so enjoy having the ability to eat more calories.
  • Tisue123
    Options
    Nevermind