Nopales anyone?

sistrsprkl
sistrsprkl Posts: 1,010 Member
I tried my hand at cooking nopal/cactus yesterday. Fried and also with scrambled eggs. I didn't love it but I'd like to try again. Do any of you have any favorite recipes for preparing it? I googled it but thought I'd ask here for tasty/healthy ideas...

Replies

• Earthgirl51
    Earthgirl51 Posts: 73 Member
    Napolitos with pepper bacon and tomato.
    ,4 slices thick peppercorn bacon, chopped
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, chopped
    2 medium tomatoes, chopped
    1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
    1 12oz. Jar sliced napolitos, drained
    1 cup water
    Salt and pepper

Heat a large skillet over high heat for three minutes. Add bacon and cook until crisp. Drain fat and reserve 1 tablespoon. Set bacon aside in paper towels. Combine bacon fat and chopped onion in skillet and stir fry over high heat until onion is golden ( about 3 minutes). Add garlic, tomatoes, jalapeno, and napolitos ans stir fry for three more minutes. Add 1 cup water, reduce heat to low, and cook for 15 more minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cooked bacon just before serving.

I am not sure how healthy you consider this. Tastes good though. You could try healthy substitutes.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    I don't like it. Honestly I've never tried it.

cousin makes a salsa out of it chopped up with tomato sauce and chile onions garlic.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    I tried my hand at cooking nopal/cactus yesterday. Fried and also with scrambled eggs. I didn't love it but I'd like to try again. Do any of you have any favorite recipes for preparing it? I googled it but thought I'd ask here for tasty/healthy ideas...

I mix chopped and cooked nopales with Pico de Gallo
    I prepare them " a la Mexicana " with onion, garlic, tomatoes and again chopped, cooked nopales.
    Nopales with Salsa Verde and pork or chicken
    Nopales roasted on a griddle or comal ( and this is almost the only time they are used raw ), usually two of them and when they are almost done a slice of cheese on one, covered with the other and heated until the cheese melts....it is eaten with salsa and called " bistek verde " ( green steak )
    Nopales in mole
    nopales in " Huevos ahogados " ( their are lots of recipes on the net )

I live in Mexico and nopales are a staple food and always fresh. I just read in another post that in the uS they exist canned or jarred. I would think that it makes no difference for any recipe, except the " green steak ".
    one of my favorites. Nopales salad: cooked nopales, ( rinse well and let dry a bit ) mixed with a couple of finely chopped canned jalapeños, some of the juice, chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, crumbled white cheese and lots & lots of cilantro.

Those are the things I make with nopales, but there are many more recipes ( in English if you prefer ) if you google.
    Nopales are with one or two exeptions always cooked before they are used in a recipe, because otherwise whatever you prepare gets all slimy.

I just read that in the US Nopales are canned or jarred. Here in Mexico they are a staple food and always fresh. I think except for the " green steak " it makes no difference. I would propable rinse them very well, because of the high salt content of those kinds of preserves.
  • Earthgirl51
    Earthgirl51 Posts: 73 Member
    ENSALADA DE NOPALITOS
    Cactus salad

SERVES 6
    1 16oz. Can nopalitos
    3 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
    3 tbsp. White onion, finely chopped
    1 tbsp. Fresh cilantro, chopped
    3/4 cup oil and vinegar dressing

Carefully rinse and drain the cactus pieces. Mix with the tomatoes, onion, and cilantro, then toss in the dressing. Serve chilled.

I usually use less of the dressing. Salt and pepper to taste before serving.
  • sistrsprkl
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I'll try them again. I did prepare them fresh and didn't use canned. I rinsed before cooking and after and they were still a bit slimy. Bit of a turn off but maybe a different preparation will be better.
  • I normally just cook mushrooms, nopales, cheese, onions and tomato together.
    I recommend rinsing them with cold water or leaving them to cook for a while, the slime will start to evaporate
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    I buy them sliced into strips and pickled with onions & jalapenos. They are great thrown onto a salad, or into a sandwich with avocado, cheese & chicken. I just eat them like pickles fishing a few out of the jar & chowing down.
  • Tried this recipe! LOOOVE IT!

ENSALADA DE NOPALITOS
    Cactus salad

SERVES 6
    1 16oz. Can nopalitos
    3 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
    3 tbsp. White onion, finely chopped
    1 tbsp. Fresh cilantro, chopped
    3/4 cup oil and vinegar dressing

Carefully rinse and drain the cactus pieces. Mix with the tomatoes, onion, and cilantro, then toss in the dressing. Serve chilled.

I usually use less of the dressing. Salt and pepper to taste before serving.
  • sistrsprkl
    Thanks again for all the ideas. I tried it again tonight and just fried the sh out of it in olive oil, then added s&p, cayenne and fresh lime juice. It was better than last time. Thanks to pp who said you can cook out the slime, I think that really worked.
    I'm looking forward to trying more recipes, the salads sound great.