How realistic is my goal?

Options
Hi y'all,
I am new to MFP and I had a question to post for anyone with a similar goal that they have reached: I am currently a tight size 14, and my first goal is to be in a comfortable size 12 by the 7th of October (16 weeks). How realistic is that goal? I am eating 1000 + net calorie deficit daily, as well as exercising a minimum of 30 minutes a day, six days a week, including a bit of weight training. I am 5'7". Anyone else manage a similar goal? What have goals have you managed with regards to losing sizes? Thanks!

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the weight difference between a size 14 and a size 12 is - but You need to be eating more than 1000 net calories per day - that is not realistic, healthy or sustainable.
  • Zardeenah
    Zardeenah Posts: 15
    Options
    I would give myself more time. Is there a reason why you want to be down that muck by October?
  • Glynneybug
    Glynneybug Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If you are determined and motivated- I think this is realistic but it would require more fuel and more exercise. My goal is to lose 15 pounds in the next 7 weeks. We could do it together? Feel free to add me as a friend. But yes, you definately need to eat more than 1,000 a day.

Take care,
    Glynis
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I've gone from a 12 to an 8 since the end of December, and I wasn't eating at a particularly aggressive deficit. (It was only supposed to be .5 lbs a week, but it averages out to more than that.) With the right combination of calorie counting and exercise, dropping one size sounds very doable, especially considering you're less than half my age.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    2 lbs. per week (a 1,000-calorie deficit) is for those who are more than 100 lbs. overweight. According to your ticker, you want to lose 68 lbs. A healthy loss at that size is 1.5 lb. per week. The closer you get to goal, the more slowly you lose. That's just the way the human body works. After 18 lbs., lower your goal to 1 lb. per week. With 25 lbs. to go, lower your goal to .5 lb. per week.

In 16 weeks, you might lose 24 lbs. There's no way to predict when you'll be a size 12. I lost 30 lbs. and still wear the same size.

For some good, basic information, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • RoyalWarrior
    RoyalWarrior Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I was trying to say that I had a DEFICIT of 1000 calls per day, I eat around 1500.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    It is possible but you might not be down a whole size. It all depends. I recommend weight resistance training to go along with your deficit to ensure optimum results. I eat around 1500 as well and I am 5 foot 7
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    totally doable if and ONLY IF you stick to it - no cheat days, no being dishonest with yourself about portions either
  • maryann9wood
    maryann9wood Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've been doing MFP for 15 months, and gone from a 22 to a 14 (in most things, but sizes are funny...). I did the math, for me it's an average of 15 pounds per size down. My average loss is less than 1 pound per week. So I think your goal is reasonable. Clothes, of course, are not reasonable. I got a dress from a friend in the fall. It was too small. Now it fits - but is built for a non-curvy girl. It looks crazy on me!
  • christacb
    christacb Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think it is realistic. I dropped from a size 14 into a comfortable size 12 just recently. I have been using mfp for 59 days and have lost 20 pounds. I usually eat 1500-1700 calories a day and I only occasionally work out. I am 5' 9" tall.
  • mullycathNZ
    mullycathNZ Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all,
    I am new to MFP and I had a question to post for anyone with a similar goal that they have reached: I am currently a tight size 14, and my first goal is to be in a comfortable size 12 by the 7th of October (16 weeks). How realistic is that goal? I am eating 1000 + net calorie deficit daily, as well as exercising a minimum of 30 minutes a day, six days a week, including a bit of weight training. I am 5'7". Anyone else manage a similar goal? What have goals have you managed with regards to losing sizes? Thanks!

Hi,
    I'm also 5'7" and was around size 14 and now a tight size 12 after 3 weeks of the following:

Exercise:
    - daily Jillian Michael's 30 day shred (about 250 cals)
    - biking to and from work (about 40 mins = 500 cals) 4-5 x per week
    - run (45 mins - 1 hour, about 800 cals) x 1 per week

Food:
    My daily cals are set to 1350 (of which I usually eat all) plus I eat most of my exercise cals. It varies but if I burn between 200 - 500 I usually eat them all, any more and I probably don't, except on weekends :-). I have probably only gone over once or twice since the beginning of the month which is when I got serious about it. My diary is open, feel free to look or add me.

IMHO if you are serious and make a commitment and stick to it, your goal is definitely achievable. I wasn't expecting to lose as quickly as I did and have been quite surprised. Losses are slowing down now, but still happening.

I have also given up alcohol for the month.

**just realised that as I'm in New Zealand, our sizing will be different to yours but I still think you can do it!**

Good luck!
  • RoyalWarrior
    RoyalWarrior Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think it is realistic. I dropped from a size 14 into a comfortable size 12 just recently. I have been using mfp for 59 days and have lost 20 pounds. I usually eat 1500-1700 calories a day and I only occasionally work out. I am 5' 9" tall.

You did that in the 59 days on MFP or were you losing before?

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments, suggestions and encouragement.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    That's a good goal but I think you need to focus on eating the right number of calories (staying in the green, not going over) and trying to match the macros as closely as possible for proper nutrition. It needs to be taking it one day at a time, something you can continue after you've reached your goal. That is why a lot of people recommend 80/20. Don't deprive yourself of the things you enjoy, just eat a small enough portion that it fits into your daily goal. That way you're not tempted to binge eat or go back to your old habits after you've reached your goal.

As for a goal of reaching a certain size by a certain time... it's hard to say. It depends on your body and how you store fat. To be honest, I've been a size 8-10 this entire time. Yes, the clothes were getting pretty tight toward the end, but I was still able to wear the same pants this entire time, from weighing less than I do now (120's) all the way up to my heaviest (160's). My t-shirts were big on me before and then they got tight and now they're starting to fit normally again. I do have some smaller shirts in the garage from high school that no longer fit but I'm hoping to be able to wear those again someday - maybe by next summer if I stay on track. Or maybe I'll get to my goal and they still won't fit. Who knows?

What's important is that you stay on track and that you weigh yourself once a week at the same time of day. The weekly weigh-in will make sure you don't get off track. Your weight should not go up for more than one week in the month (water weight from monthly cycle). And if it stays the same for more than 2-3 weeks it's time to either cut the calories or exercise more because it means you've been miscounting and have hit maintenance.
  • celinetmika
    celinetmika Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give you is to not set a goal with a deadline. How long it takes doesn't matter. What matters is where you want to be, and how you are going to achieve that goal. Eating right (avoid carbs when you can, avoid fast food, eat clean) and exercising every day will help you get there. If you don't add a deadline to it you will be happy when you get there no matter what. Maybe you will get there before that date, that would be great, but maybe you won't, and it doesn't matter because you will still meet YOUR goal.

Believe me. How long it takes doesn't matter.
  • christacb
    Options
    59 days using MFP.
  • christacb
    Options
    Yes, I lost 20 lbs using MFP! The weight dropped off quickly the first couple of weeks, so some of that was water weight. A lot of people lose really quickly at first. During the last 30 days I have lost 7 lbs so that means most of my weight loss was during the first month.
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    possible yes. Good luck on your goals
  • cweaver1981
    cweaver1981 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I dropped from a tight 14 to a 10/12 (mostly 12s) with only a 16lb weight loss. I do weight lifting and I swear that has been the key for me. Even when I didn't drop pounds I lost inches and could see changes in my body. Good Luck!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Yes, last Fall I picked up running and did some weight training and ate around 1400 calories, always eating back any exercise calories.

I also ate pretty clean. Mostly lean meats and lots of vegetables, Oh, and tons of water! I always set a calories burned goal instead of concentrate on the scale. Some weeks I burned up to 5000 calories.

I went down 2 pants sizes from end of July to beginning October.

It's doable, make sure you fuel your body properly.

I now eat about 1600 cals and exercise 6 days a week.
  • nmcrosier
    nmcrosier Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It's totally doable - I started February 10 (size 20) - June 18 (size 14). Work yourself into a routine.

I started paying more attention to what I was eating - particularly portion sizes (and bought a food scale to help, now I can eyeball portion size). I was so grossly over eating this past couple of years. Also made a concious effort to drink at least 10 glasses of water a day. Here is my monthly routine, slowly incorporating change:

Month 1: Work strictly on eating & logging it in. As well as drink all my water. Any exercise is a bonus!
    Month 2: Keep w/ M1 - Intro Cardio 2 times a week. 30 min. each
    Month 3: M1/2: Add 1 day Strength/Core, 20 min.= 3xs week
    Month 4: M1/3: Add 15 min to cardio= 45 min work out; 20 min. Strength/Core = 3xs week
    Month 5: June to July is always a mess in our household - high stress...find time to relax/ take a yoga class every other week; maintain M4 --- instead of yoga - I changed it to a boot camp...lol
    Month 6: Train for 1st ever 5k - in Sept!