I have Acute Pancreatitis - anyone else on MFP?

Options
Hi everyone -

Six weeks ago I was diagnosed with Mild Acute Pancreatitis while on vacation in Mexico. I am sure my gallbladder issues, alcohol and fatty food intake set me up for this to happen, but after five days in Cabo with Guac and Tequila did me in. I spent a night in a hospital in Mexico (apparently ERs in Mexico see many cases of pancreatitis in tourists over-doing it on vacation). I had to be treated with pain killers and fluids so I could get on the plane home the next day. Sort of dramatic, but the hospital was super nice :smile:

I followed up with my Dr once I got home and was told my case was mild, but I required some significant lifestyle changes. I had to give up all alcohol, and Coca Cola. I also am keeping my daily intake of fat at around 30-35g. I have had 20+ lbs of weight loss (I am guessing since I do not weigh in often). Also, I am saving a ton of money not drinking anymore. I find that I am consistent in my weight loss since I cannot "cheat". Eating the wrong thing could land me in the hospital again, so I am fearful of eating something too fatty. Although I went through a lot with my diagnoses and recovering, I think it was a wake-up call that I needed to change my ways.

Anyway - just wanted to know if there was anyone else in the same situation. Anything you can tell someone new to the diagnosis?

Jen

Replies

• Dawnicita0318
    Dawnicita0318 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am no stranger to pancreatitis. I have had multiple attacks for over the course of 10+ years.
    My pancreatitis is caused through genetics, (I have hereditary pancreatitis) which means that it is a chronic thing for me.
    Anyways. If you want to add me for support. I'm here- don't hesitate! I get the struggle of this illness.
  • snapper1949
    Options
    Tappity-tappity-tap on the monitor. You guys still there? I would love to discuss pancreatitis if you are still interested. I have chronic pancreatitis and have to really watch my fat intake.
  • seaponie
    seaponie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I had my first acute pancreatitis attack about a year ago, which I thought was horrible until I had my 2nd one a month ago where I had to call 911 cause I really thought an organ had burst in my torso and I was going to die. After my hospital stay I took my Drs advice for alcohol/food consumption to heart since it was my 2nd episode. Alas, life swept me away on vacation and I ended up consuming alcohol & eating fatty/sugary things again. Two weeks later (this week) I started having that FEELING welling in my abdomen...pain wasn't severe like it was but I was like NO, NO HOSPITAL and put myself on bed rest at home and did a liquid diet for 48 hours. I'm feeling a bit better today, able to consume some plain rice (my first solid) without discomfort, hungry for more and more "normal" food.

I may have dodged a hospital bill bullet, but now I'm scared of everything I put in my mouth. I looked at my pantry today and broke down crying. You see.. I'm also recovering from an eating disorder. So now I have 2 battles, one of which could spiral me back into the other.

I'm so scared and confused right now, so I'm glad I found this thread. Hope it gets more noticed soon!
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    With you ladies i know why its a cute but with me its ugly, chronic pancreatitis almost killed me in 2005 so o get it also...
  • seaponie
    seaponie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Drs at the hospital told me if I don't change my ways/it keeps happening it WILL kill me. So... :(
  • jpsangel
    jpsangel Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello all! I've been in the hospital three times over the past year and a half with chronic pancreatitis, and on my last visit they did a CT-scan and found a pseudo cyst on my pancreas, so I'll be having surgery later this summer. I completely understand what seaponie said about being scared to eat...I gave up alcohol a while back, but my attacks seem to be brought on by stress (physical and emotional), so I feel like I'm being held hostage food-wise and emotions-wise. The enormous hospital bills definitely aren't helping!

I'm incredibly grateful that I have an amazing support system, though...without my family and my husband I honestly don't think I would be able to stick to a pancreas-friendly lifestyle. My husband especially deserves kudos...he's a chef and has had to make some MAJOR adjustments to how he cooks for us!

Please feel free to add me as a friend here on MFP, I also have a Fitbit Flex and you're welcome to friend me through that community as well. :-)
  • gdmanley
    gdmanley Posts: 17 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I had three hospitalizations in 2006 and the Dr. told me on my second visit, that I was very close to being in ICU. I have a congenital problem called "pancreas divisum" and likely aggravated that by becoming a professional drinker for a few years. I have since been diagnosed as having chronic pancreatitis and had a partial, or distal, pancreatectomy. I had a mass that was benign, but had to be removed, so I am a type 1 1/2 diabetic and need a regimen of digestive enzymes. My experience has been that you can not completely avoid flare-ups, or inflammation, of the pancreas, but by following a low-fat diet for the pancreas and low carb for the diabetes, the attacks can be lessened. I think the only reason to be very afraid is if you can not avoid alcohol as that can cause acute attacks that are very dangerous. Be happy to friend anyone who has this condition and share what I have learned over the past ten years.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Very serious condition. Glad you stopped drinking! You need to make things as easy on your pancreas as possible to help it heal, and not overload it with high Insulin demands. This means a low carb diet. I'm not suggesting Ketogenic necessarily, but I do recommend keeping your carb intake below 100 grams/day. :)