love the elleptical?

Options
2»

Replies

• giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm the odd one out. I HATE the elliptical machine.

So dang boring! I crank the resistance up and power through, but 45 minutes feels like it will never ever end.
  • CanadianCountryGirl1973
    Options
    Love it. Watch something interesting and it flies by..... and there's no bugs! (I live in the country, so we get bugged out, snowed out, rained out for anything interesting outside). With the elliptical at home, there's no excuses and you don't have to actually go somewhere... and you can do it when you like (morning, afternoon, evening, later at night). Watch a show on Netflix and you have 22 minutes (one 1/2 hour show), 44 minutes (2 x 1/2 hour shows). You don't even think about it and before you know it, your time's up!
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Eventually the elliptical will become "too easy" and you'll have to progress to the treadmill or stairs :)

It is a good place to start, though.

ellipticals have incline and resistance levels, i can push way harder on elliptical than a treadmill.

Treadmills have incline and force you to move forward at a set pace (not to mention you actually have to pick up your feet)
    Stairs are the same and are always at an incline.

yes, but that has nothing to do with what i was talking about.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    hate it LOL. It does burn more calories than running but omg having to hold onto those arms things makes me insane. sooo boring
    no it doesn't.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    hate it LOL. It does burn more calories than running but omg having to hold onto those arms things makes me insane. sooo boring
    no it doesn't.

This.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    We have a love/hate relationship. Love how it burns quite a lot of calories, (more than 2x more than walking) love how it's easy on the joints but hate how much I sweat lol. I do it about 5 times a week
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It's ok. Not as good as running but I am a marathoner and when my training gets to my joints a bit more than I would like, I use it for cardio for a day or two to back off of the running, then start running again. I can actually burn more calories running than I do on an elliptical though.

But we all need to remember, cardio by itself is not as good as cardio AND resistance training! My body really started changing when I did resistance training regularly.
  • rudy336
    rudy336 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    the sweat to me is a good sign. i know im working hard :devil: :devil:
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Eventually the elliptical will become "too easy" and you'll have to progress to the treadmill or stairs :)

It is a good place to start, though.
    Did you find that even on the highest intensity? I only ask because that's something to look forward to considering that right now 20 mins kills me!
  • vegwrangler
    vegwrangler Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical so much that I have named my favorite one at the gym. The little old lady that usually is on the one next to me actually informed a guy yesterday morning that he should take a different one because that one is my "second husband."

There isn't enough spray sanitizer in the gym to make that visual go away.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Its a great machine, burn rate is always too high as reported by machine, but its nice to get an aerobic workout in on short notice or rain outside. I'm kind of perplexed by the "too easy" comments though, unless those people don't have one with incline and resistance levels and don't increase their speed? Sure running at a high speed is more calorie burn, but you can get pretty close on elliptical and without as much wearing on your joints, and you cant do the highest setting and incline on modern ellipticals and increase your speed at the same time for very long either...that's a pretty good indicator.

I did a few drastic short term cuts years ago using primarily elliptical, probably this machine saved my knees since I was burning several thousands of calories/day.
  • fjellrev
    fjellrev Posts: 5,078 Member
    Options
    It's my machine of choice and I find that it motivates me to push harder than the treadmill, so I always end up burning way more calories. I also monitor myself with an FT4. :D
  • ajones1227
    ajones1227 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical. That's my main source of exercise.