How do i get rid of this baby belly

Options
i am on a weight loss journey and i have been on it for 18 days and lost 11 pounds! :) YAYY! The only problem is my baby belly is still poking out. I had my last child about 19 months ago and my first child 3 years ago. I know they were pretty close so my stomach really did not get a chance to shrink. Also after my last baby i had hernia repair surgery. i dont know if these play a roll. The only exercise I do is cardio because i dont want to gain too much muscle. is there any other exercise i can do and foods to avoid so my baby belly can go bye bye?

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You can't project fat loss from specific parts of the body. Your body determines when and where to burn fat. You have to be patience and make sure you are not over eating. You might want to consider adding strength training and no you will not bulk or gain muscles like a man.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You don't need to worry about gaining any muscle unless you are dedicated to lifting HEAVY and eating at a calorie surplus. It is really very difficult for women to gain muscle, and you don't need to worry about bulking up. Great post here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/752778-how-wrong-i-was-600-days-of-mfp-lotsa-pics

Cardio has it's place, but adding some form of weight/strength/resistance training to your exercise while eating at a modest calorie deficit is a great way to lose fat while retaining your lean body mass. That and patience - for many women, the tummy is the last to go. I thought that was the case for me, but have found that it's actually my butt! LOL Still working on lowering body fat percentage myself, slowly but surely, and making progress.

Another good topic on setting your goals for fat loss: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • annonm
    annonm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks ALL! :) I will try strength training.