Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Macros? Protein? WHAT?

Hey all,
I'm trying to figure out what my macros should be. Yes, there are a billion threads on this, but I'm sure someone can link@ me to an excellent post that will tell me exactly what I need to see. Do these even matter if I'm not a hardcore athlete...I'm definitely not.

Currently, I'm doing 35/35/30. From what I've been reading, I really need to cut down on carbs as they basically then break down into simple sugars. Correct me if I'm wrong. However, for the LIFE OF ME. I cannot seem to get my protein up. Are there any suggestions as to how to get more in? I'm not really a fan of beans, so those suggestions will unfortunately fall to the wayside.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• slimdownsteph
    slimdownsteph Posts: 71 Member
    So..no help at all?
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    IIFYM.com

Its my favourite website.
  • slimdownsteph
    slimdownsteph Posts: 71 Member
    Thanks! I'll have to look more into it!
  • oneday987
    oneday987 Posts: 41 Member
    Hi slimdownsteph,

If you are lchf (low carb high fat) you could try this link : http://authoritynutrition.com/101-healthy-low-carb-recipes/

cheers :)
  • aufond
    aufond Posts: 18 Member
    I've had the same questions, it seems like there's a lot of variety in advice and information. However, IIFYM seems to be very popular, and along those lines is this youtube video from an MFP member:

"How to Calculate Calories and Macros for a Fat Loss Diet"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cc18wLJW3k

I've read his threads on MFP and seen a few of his videos, he seems to be reasonable and know what he's talking about.

Good luck!
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    It's funny, protein is the one thing I have no problem hitting each day. I'm on a 40/30/30 myself (was formerly on the 40/40/20 but found I wasn't satiated enough). Try out some whey protein in your regimen if you haven't already, helps out tremendously.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Everybody's different, and it will take trial & error to find what works for you. I use MFP's default protein & fiber goals as minimums, and ignore fat & carbs.

Good sources of protein include meat, cheese, eggs, nuts, yogurt & beans. So snack on hard-boiled eggs, portion-controlled nuts or cheese, or hummus & veggies.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    There is no particular reason to go low carb unless you have a medical reason to do so or prefer eating that way.

I do eat low carb (IR) and have my macros set to 25/35/40. Since MFP only allows me to set % on the 5s, I am always aware that I can steal a percentage or 2 from protein for carbs if I want :D

Some great sources of protein are nuts, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein powder, cheese, and eggs or egg whites
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Protein boosters: eggs, chicken, turkey, yogurt (especially greek), lentils, peas, quinoa, edamame, cottage cheese, nut butters, zucchini, broccoli

It would probably help to see your diary.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Right now my macros are set at 40/30/30 and I think that's where they're going to stay. My blood glucose level has been good (I have Type II diabetes) and I stay satiated most of the time when I eat my three meals and a snack. Some days I even sub a protein bar for a meal at dinner because I lack interest in eating a lot.

Some of the suggestions I got when I posted the problem with eating enough protein included chicken breast, shakes made with whey or soy protein powder, eggs, cheese, various nuts, and steak. I've found that by adding a hard-boiled egg and a chicken breast to my salad in the afternoon, I'm able to get pretty close to my recommended daily amount of protein.

Good luck!
  • theguyg
    theguyg Posts: 6 Member
    Disclaimer: I'm not vegan or vegetarian, so I can offer very little/no insight to that type of diet.

The best source of protein IMHO is lean meats. Fish (which is typically lower in calories also) and Chicken/Eggs are my staples. Protein from unprocessed food sources typically digest and absorb better. So while yes, I drink 2-3 protein shakes a day. I always forgo one if I have readily available meat nearby. Cottage cheese is also another great source, if you can get past the appearance.

8oz of chicken is a decent sized chicken breast. Cut it up over a salad, grilled, broiled, baked, etc.
    And it's about 50grams of protein.

A large egg, is about 6g of protein. So boil some, refrigerate, and carry to work/school if you can. Then eat those if you get a hunger craving. I still chuckle at how full I feel after a few boiled eggs, except when I'm swearing i'll never eat another one ever again (until breakfast the next day).

Also, if cooking/preparing all that food everyday is too much effort or time consuming. Also supplement with a quality whey isolate protein shake. I prefer BSN Syntha6, Musclepharm Combat, Gaspari Myofusion, or Optimum Nutrition Gold Whey, mostly because I have favorite flavors in each :). A scoop typically contains 22-25g of protein, and typically mixes easy with 10-12oz of water.

So if you weigh 150lbs. That's 2 chicken breasts, 4 eggs (2 breakfast fried, 2 snacks boiled) and a 1-scoop whey protein shake to hit about 148grams of protein, or close to a 1g/lbs protein ratio. Not sure how that fits in your calorie count % wise, but just an example.

Hope that helps or at least triggers some ideas!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    I eat 60/20/20, too much fat makes my heartburn flare something fierce.

I recommend Greek yogurt (I love the one by light and fit) for protein...
  • stephanieharms1290
    stephanieharms1290 Posts: 48 Member
    Hi :)

I also had a tricky time with this in the beginning. Currently my ratio is 40/40/20. I agree, it is trail and error to see what works for your body as everyone is different. I wouldn't worry about lowering your carbs so much, as they are important. What kinds of carbs are you eating now? Maybe you can replace them with different types of carbs. (I usually eat Old Fashioned Oats, Rice Cakes, sweet poatoes, brown rice, & Eizkel bread.)

Protein can be tricky to intake if you aren;t into certain foods. I drink a whey protein shake daily. They are a great meal, and contain many grams of protein. Eggs are great protein, as you can make an omlet in the morning, and mix it up with some veggies. Grilled chicken or fish contain a decent amount of protein in one serving. Hard boiled eggs, hummus, cottage cheese, and edaname beans are also very high in protein and make for a great snack.

I found a lot of information on the Internet as well. I googled EVERYTHING when I was unsure. Again, you must try what works for you :)

[ http:stephanieharms.wordpress.com ]