Under calorie goal...

Options
I've been under my calorie goal, which at first I thought was a good thing, but after further research I've read I may end up in "starvation mode" and my body will not continue to burn fat. Please advise how to meet my caloric goals and avoid "starvation mode". Thank you =)

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've been under my calorie goal, which at first I thought was a good thing, but after further research I've read I may end up in "starvation mode" and my body will not continue to burn fat. Please advise how to meet my caloric goals and avoid "starvation mode". Thank you =)

Starvation mode is grossly exaggerated. You have to work pretty hard to screw up your metabolism. A day under here, a day under there.....don't worry about it. Besides, some people have really aggressive weekly goals and others have don't. It's all relative.

Calorie goals can be a daily thing, or a weekly thing. some people "bank" calories for a cheat day of sorts. I know that weekends are hard for me to be as strict....so my 'leftover" calories get used there.

Try to make dietary changes that you can live with long term. I eat regular bread....not the lightest...and not the heaviest either. I eat 1% or 2% dairy....not fat free. I use light salad dressing....again, not fat free.

Nut butters, nuts, olive oil, avocado are all good sources of healthy fats. It's easy to make up the difference with these.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    As long as you are in a deficit, your body will burn fat. Period.
  • rudy336
    rudy336 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i was wondering the same thing. im eating most of my calories daily, however at end of day i end up with 300/500 leftover calories.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed, so it's harder to offer advice tailored to yours situation.

It's best to avoid long periods with high calorie deficits.

For someone with loads to lose, that might be a significant number. With someone with less to lose, that might be such a high figure.
    I've tended to keep calories constant as I lose weight, which has a small self-adjusting affect, because you burn less calories as you lose weight.

If you keep finding yourself well under the calories you need to lose weight at your desired rate, just eat more :).
  • rudy336
    rudy336 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    my diary is open now.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

OK ... let's start with the basics.
    Height?
    Current weight?
    Goal weight?
    Planned loss per week?
    Current caloric goal?
    Current caloric intake?
  • ccw626
    ccw626 Posts: 4
    Options
    Brilliant advice! Thanks =)
  • ccw626
    ccw626 Posts: 4
    Options
    @brianperkins

Height: 5'4
    Weight: 257
    Goal Weight: 25% BMI
    Planned loss per week: 2-4
    Current caloric goal: 1200 daily
    Current caloric intake: 1000-1100
  • ColourfulFiasco1
    ColourfulFiasco1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Im having the same issue!
    Current weight? 153 at 5'4"
    Goal weight? 125
    Planned loss per week? 1-2lbs
    Current caloric goal? 1200
    Current caloric intake? 800-900
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    @brianperkins

You're eating too few calories. First, 4 lbs is double MFP's max weekly loss goal. Second, your NEAT calories to maintain 2251, making a 2 lb per loss goal 1251 net calories per day. If you were to use TDEE -25% (a choice that triggers a medical advice warning at scooby's), your daily goal comes out to 1688.
    Goal weight? 125

Your goal is too aggressive for 28 lbs total to lose. Think more in in the 1 lb per week range until around that last ten to fifteen to lose, then 1/2 lb until at target. At 800 calories it's unlikely that you're providing your body with the necessary nutrition ... especially at only 18 yrs old.

NEAT calories around 1836 putting a 1 lb per week goal at 1336 net calories per day, then upping to around 1500 net as you get closer.

Neither one of you is providing your body with the fuel to do any exercise.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    @brianperkins

You're eating too few calories. First, 4 lbs is double MFP's max weekly loss goal. Second, your NEAT calories to maintain 2251, making a 2 lb per loss goal 1251 net calories per day. If you were to use TDEE -25% (a choice that triggers a medical advice warning at scooby's), your daily goal comes out to 1688.
    Goal weight? 125

Your goal is too aggressive for 28 lbs total to lose. Think more in in the 1 lb per week range until around that last ten to fifteen to lose, then 1/2 lb until at target. At 800 calories it's unlikely that you're providing your body with the necessary nutrition ... especially at only 18 yrs old.

NEAT calories around 1836 putting a 1 lb per week goal at 1336 net calories per day, then upping to around 1500 net as you get closer.

Neither one of you is providing your body with the fuel to do any exercise.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Good advice^

Trying to lose weight too quickly results in fat+muscle loss. A moderate approach (plus exercise and the fuel to do it)....helps you lose mostly fat.