My weight won't budge :(

Options
13»

Replies

• Ash_danielle
    Ash_danielle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Have you been to a doctor about this?

If you're quite certain that your calories are low enough and you're still not losing, why not have a doctor check things out?

If other issues are ruled out, you may be inspired to start again with the weighing and counting. Or, the doc may find a problem that needs addressing.

I've recently changed birth control pills to a different frequency and dosage. I'm thinking this May have had something to do it.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    FYI - I'm 5'5", vegetarian, I lift heavy 3x a week, my calorie goal is 2000, and I am losing weight by inches first. If you go the lifting route things to keep in mind. You need more protein. A lot. You need to take measurements when you start and progress pics. Take them again a month later, 2 months later, etc. Keep in mind the scale # won't change for awhile (mine didn't start changing for 8 weeks - however I'd lost inches everywhere and clothes fit much better).

Ahhhh thank you sooo much! It's refreshing hearing from someone that was in my boat. Now help with these meals please :)

I'm in the weigh everything camp. I know you said you weigh 80%, but depending on the 20% you could still be over estimating. If the 20% you don't weigh is fruit/veggies....well those things are very inconsistent since they are all different sizes.

It does sound like you are eating at maintenance since you aren't losing. How many calories are you eating a day or what is your goal? Are your settings 2 lbs a week? That will be too aggressive since you don't have a lot to lose.

Read the links I provided PM me if you have questions.

What is your calorie goal now?
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Not eating enough calories can cause your body to go into starvation mode. Where it's more apt to hang on to fat. Eating every three-four hours helps increase your metabolism. And I'm hoping the fact that I've been downing more water than usual will help my system rid itself of any retained water. But you should be able to see my diary now. Thanks for your response!
    nope sorry
  • tbrown1974
    tbrown1974 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing OP. I gained 20 pounds from 145 to 165. I got down to 155 and when I got serious about losing weight I ended up gaining 8 lbs. I was then stuck at 163 lbs for 6 months. YES 6 MONTHS!!! I came on here and asked the same question and had the same store and got the same responses. I learned a hell of a lot. I just took the advice. In my mind I thought I was eating right and since I was exercising consistently, I figured the weight should be coming off. After getting responses like these, I thought about it and realized I was lying to myself. Food adds up. Little bites here and there and alcohol.

Now this may not be the case with you, but in all reality if I gained weight I was eating to much. End of story. This is no different for you unless you have a medical issue.

Even though it has been 6 months, I never gave up. NEVER. I work out consistently and I weigh/measure EVERYTHING. I have not missed a day of logging in my diary in 64 days. To lose weight that deficit is most important. Now finally I am losing a pound a week and am down 10.5 inches total. So keep at it girl. It will happen. Stay focus, weigh/measure everything, log every day and be consistent.

Good luck OP!

This! Great advice!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Yes I have a digital scale I got from Walmart and I use it faithfully. Honestly my diet consists of lots of green veggies and complex carbs. Such as brown rice or yams. Lots of mushrooms and usually 2 servings of fruit. I use my scale 80% of the time.

I mean the reality of it is whatever you are eating right now and not losing or gaining on is your maintenance caloric requirements. If you want to lose weight you need to eat less or workout more.

If your answer to that is you already eat less and workout more please read the above line again.

Lmao thanks sir

I get the idea you think everyone is ripping on you and honestly we're not trying to. We've all struggled with the same issues before so we're just trying to offer honest advice.

If you're not losing weight over a decent period of time, the issue is you are eating too much food. You have to know that even if it sounds snarky coming from some dude on the internet.

No everyone here is here for pretty much the same reason For some advice and or support. But there are ways to say things that aren't so "snarky" and while I don't have all the answers to every thing I'm open to trying different avenues for I have nothing to lose anyway (but weight lol) but I don't like snarky know it all ppl. Think back to when you first joined this board. Im just saying a kind soft tongue takes you farther than a snarky one. Not referring to you specifically

Takes WHO further, you're the one that posted here looking for help, remember? If you had all the answers, why even make a post?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    If it's as simple as calories in /calories out why am I not losing any weight? I've been consistently the same weight over a month with or without intense workouts with or without healthy eating habits. I can say I've noticed a change in my muscle definition but the weight is exactly the same. And eating frequent small meals is always better than eating 2/3 large meals. Insulin levels are better stabilized with eating frequently vs 2/3 larger meals
    Again wrong. Data on people who do alternate day fasting or intermittent fasting show insulin levels equally as stable or even more stable then those who eat frequently. Eating multiple times a day is not scientifically proven to "better stabilize" insulin levels. In fact, there is data to prove the oppisite is true and that eating all of your food in a shorter time frame will indeed cause insulin resistance to decrease.
    http://jap.physiology.org/content/99/6/2128
    http://www.jnutbio.com/article/S0955-2863(04)00261-X/abstract

You keep stating things you seem to believe are facts. Do you have any evidence? You are just quoting many old fitness myths. Also how do you know you are in a calorie deficit. Your logs only show a couple of days worth of counting. Are you weighing your food on a scale or using things meant for liquids to measure solid foods (cups, tablespoons, etc)?

The thing is that there is data that can prove both what you and I are saying Is true. I'm going off of what has worked for me personally in the past. That for some odd reason is not working for me now. So I'm working off of my own facts from the past not off of an article that I pulled off of the internet.

Yes I do use a digital scale and no I have both solid and liquid measuring cups.
    Congrats on your weight loss .
    Thanks for your input.
    Those are scientific research studies, not articles off the internet. Where is your data that proves eating multiple times a day increases metabolism, also where is your data that supports eating multiple times a day helps with insulin resistance? I provided you with peer reviewed data. You simply claimed what you are saying is fact is no data what so ever to back it up. Maybe the strange reason it isn't working out now is because it doesn't work period. Losing weight is calorie in vs calories out. Meal timing doesn't change anything. Part of your issue is you believe what you believe and are ignoring the science behind things. I'm not trying to be mean but your ideas on meal timing affecting weight loss are simply factually wrong.

Ok thank you for your input

If you're not here to get answers to your question, as in the above, why did you pose the question in the first place? The only posts you've responded to positively are commiseration posts that will not aid you toward you goals in the least while you ignore solid advice.

Learn to be receptive to making real changes or learn to not be surprised when making no changes yields no change.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yes I have a digital scale I got from Walmart and I use it faithfully. Honestly my diet consists of lots of green veggies and complex carbs. Such as brown rice or yams. Lots of mushrooms and usually 2 servings of fruit. I use my scale 80% of the time.

Honestly, it doesn't matter if the carbs are simple or complex, weight loss will be the same if your calories in are less than out. This gets back to eating "right" =/= calorie deficit. I have seen as many fat vegans as those on LCHF diets or IIFYM diets. What we are suggesting, use your scale for 4-6 weeks 100% of the time and then we can evaluate things more for you. And personally, I would drop the daily cardio and at this point, do 3-4 days of heavy lifting for 60 minutes and then do 2-3 days of cardio. There is really no reason to workout 1.5 hours a day combined with eating 1300 calories. If you are active, fuel your body. Your exercise will improve as will your strength. I can tell you the average woman I know eats 1700-2100 calories to lose weight. That means maintenance at 2100-2600.
  • chelleymae1105
    chelleymae1105 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If it's as simple as calories in /calories out why am I not losing any weight? I've been consistently the same weight over a month with or without intense workouts with or without healthy eating habits. I can say I've noticed a change in my muscle definition but the weight is exactly the same. And eating frequent small meals is always better than eating 2/3 large meals. Insulin levels are better stabilized with eating frequently vs 2/3 larger meals

Since you haven't consistently tracked your calories, then I would suggest you are eating more than you think.

And no, eating more meals isn't benefical for weight loss outside of personal preference

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23404961

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/873411-myth-eat-frequently-to-stoke-the-metabolic-fire

This.

I thought I was tracking accurately too...until I got a food scale. It was completely eye opening.

Yes to the food scale being eye opening.....especially with Peanut Butter! A measured tablespoon of PB is NOT 16g, i assure you.