1200 calorie/day meal ideas

Options
I have just recently started a 1200 calorie/day meal plan and am interested in getting some ideas, so that my eating won't get boring. Thanks!:smile:

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The best is to perform a Google search but if you could eat more and still lose weight, would you do it? If so, check out this link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • eklavon84
    eklavon84 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    TURKEY TURKEY TURKEY!! Sorry I do a lot of turkey stuff. I really like using the weight watches smart ones for lunches at work, they ave 250-350 calories, pair it with a low fat yogurt, lunch for 400 cals, Broth based soups are good too, I make my own broth or use unsalted cause sodium can get pretty high. Tacos no meat and lots of salad helps. LOTS of veggies(best if fresh)
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Tacos are GREAT for low calorie meals. I get bored eating salads all the time for lunch so I switched to tacos recently. I do the small corn tortillas at 45 calories each. Fill them with seasoned chicken, grilled onions & peppers (with 0 cal veg oil spray) and a dab of sour cream. That is just one example, you can do shrimp tacos too, those are always good.

Here are some more ideas: http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/smart-choices/200-calorie-tacos

I also have a wonderful cookbook full of 300 calorie meals. Just google searching for low calorie meals will give you all sorts of options!
  • velvetteddylove
    Options
    Recently I've been loving egg whites with some chopped up spinach, a bit of cheese to taste if you'd like. Whether scrambled, as an omelette, etc :) not many calories, major taste, and lots of needed nutrients, vitamins, protein, etc.
    if you portion it off, you can add it to a meal for a boost, too :smile:
  • deliacm
    deliacm Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I eat 1000-1200 calories a day and pretty much eat whatever anyone else is having... in moderation. I plan my dinner so that I am able to eat whatever my family is having and then back track to plan my lunch and breakfast. My diary is open, so feel free to look through and friend me if you have any questions.

And regarding the "eat more calories" group and the "you'll go into starvation mode" group, I've yet to see a single poster on these forums with a medical degree and both my nutritionist and medical doctor agree it's perfectly fine. So, if you have questions about whether it's nutritionally sustainable for you, I'd suggest you speak with your doctor and not listen to the MFP do-goobers. If you eat a good variety of foods and take a good multi-vitamin, you'll be perfectly fine nutritionally speaking.
  • jeffmitchell
    jeffmitchell Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of tuna, eggs, fruits and veggies. I only eat 1200 calories as well.
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat so to speak. I look forward to reading everyone's posts and experiences!!
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    The best is to perform a Google search but if you could eat more and still lose weight, would you do it? If so, check out this link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This.... and 1200 calories is just not enough... toooooooooooo hungry lol
  • deliacm
    deliacm Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

I've never had even the slightest pang of hunger eating even 1000 calories a day. With exercise, I will sometimes net below 500 calories. If you're hungry, then I would suggest eating different foods. For some reason, a lot of people chose to fill their calories with shakes and things that don't fill them up, rather than choosing actual food that does. My typical day is a bowl of granola in the morning with my coffee (250 calories), a HUGE salad for lunch (200-250 calories or less depending on the dressing), and the same dinner that my family has (500-700 calories). I RARELY have any desire to snack and when you're eating well and getting a variety of good healthy food, you really lose the craving for sweets, though I do have the occasional Skinny Cow dessert. I've even gone camping and had a S'More and still kept under 1300 calories. It's all in how you do it really and there is no magic shake potion that is going to fill you up as much as just eating the right food.
  • DozzFit
    DozzFit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I recommend. some Ground Turkey-which is a great lean protein! I make a batch and use it for tacos/protein with spaghetti squash/ a low cal Picadillo/ toss on salad - whatever.... It's great you feel more satisfied for longer.. Experiment with seasoning it..but avoid adding too much sodium! ;)
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of chicken and veggies, finding new ways/sauces to change how they taste. The meals aren't usually my problem, it's usually snacks that bring my close/over my cal limit.

Check out my diary, I try to stay at 1200.
    053069 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com should be a good resource
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I eat 1000-1200 calories a day and pretty much eat whatever anyone else is having... in moderation. I plan my dinner so that I am able to eat whatever my family is having and then back track to plan my lunch and breakfast. My diary is open, so feel free to look through and friend me if you have any questions.

And regarding the "eat more calories" group and the "you'll go into starvation mode" group, I've yet to see a single poster on these forums with a medical degree and both my nutritionist and medical doctor agree it's perfectly fine. So, if you have questions about whether it's nutritionally sustainable for you, I'd suggest you speak with your doctor and not listen to the MFP do-goobers. If you eat a good variety of foods and take a good multi-vitamin, you'll be perfectly fine nutritionally speaking.

Yeah, I don't buy in to the "eat more" thought group. Otherwise, people who get gastric bypass would never lose any weight, and they're lucky to get 900 cals in those first few weeks.
  • 01ellie
    01ellie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories a day and with the right planning of meals and snacks I never feel hungry. I will have oatmeal, coffee and a banana for breakfast. Grilled chicken salad (homemade) with a lite dressing for lunch. Dinner is whatever we made at home but with some substitutions...for example i will add more veggies to my plate or a salad instead of the extra carbs. Snacks are usually a 100 calorie granola bar or fruits. Through out the day I only drink water or herbal teas with no sugar.

today i didnt have time to make a salad for lunch so i packed grilled jerk chicken with steamed broccoli and sauteed spinach - 320 calories
  • mrsdmiller74
    mrsdmiller74 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree turkey is awesome, also smoothies. I do meal replacements with smoothies lots of kale, spinach and fruit. I try to save bulk of my calorie intake for dinner. The way my job is I cant work if I am stuffed
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

I've never had even the slightest pang of hunger eating even 1000 calories a day. With exercise, I will sometimes net below 500 calories. If you're hungry, then I would suggest eating different foods. For some reason, a lot of people chose to fill their calories with shakes and things that don't fill them up, rather than choosing actual food that does. My typical day is a bowl of granola in the morning with my coffee (250 calories), a HUGE salad for lunch (200-250 calories or less depending on the dressing), and the same dinner that my family has (500-700 calories). I RARELY have any desire to snack and when you're eating well and getting a variety of good healthy food, you really lose the craving for sweets, though I do have the occasional Skinny Cow dessert. I've even gone camping and had a S'More and still kept under 1300 calories. It's all in how you do it really and there is no magic shake potion that is going to fill you up as much as just eating the right food.

lol 1200 WILL make me hungry because I work out hard (not long) using weights... I don't do cardio or dance around... I also only have around 40lbs to lose (my choice) and chances are with weight lifting I may never get below 160 and that is OK .. I go for how I look.. not a number...

And the "eat more" mantra isn't what you are assuming... it refers to fuel. If you are hardcore into strength training/resistence or trying to do cardio 3 hours a day then your body needs fuel .. moreso as you continue to lose. I prefer to eat 1700 cals to 1200 .. just that simple..
  • lcorrea
    lcorrea Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to 1200 per day also. I do eat breakfast but try not to blow alot of calories on it. For lunch, I generally do a Healthy Choice meal since I work and kind of on the go. For dinner, we grill quite a bit and try to downplay the carbs as much as possible. For me, giving up pasta has been the hardest because I LOVE it. I could have it in moderation but since I can't control it very well, I just don't make it.
  • natterzdezign
    natterzdezign Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    http://www.eatingwell.com has 1,200 calorie diets, as well as other ones. Great website and very helpful.
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options

lol 1200 WILL make me hungry because I work out hard (not long) using weights... I don't do cardio or dance around... I also only have around 40lbs to lose (my choice) and chances are with weight lifting I may never get below 160 and that is OK .. I go for how I look.. not a number...

And the "eat more" mantra isn't what you are assuming... it refers to fuel. If you are hardcore into strength training/resistence or trying to do cardio 3 hours a day then your body needs fuel .. moreso as you continue to lose. I prefer to eat 1700 cals to 1200 .. just that simple..

Yes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I mostly eat more than 1200 now, sometimes quite a bit more, since I eat back exercise calories (and am continuing to lose at 2 lb/week even though I'm short). However, if you want to look at my diary and especially if you go back to March or April I have a lot of 1200 calories days. I eat all kinds of meat, mostly whole eggs instead of egg whites, and no diet meals. I was mostly keeping carbs to around 100 g which is for me the easiest way to do 1200-1300, and eating lots of vegetables (and meat, eggs, and dairy, since I've also been trying to hit 100 g protein).

Oh, and warning, the last few days aren't what I'd recommend--combination of crazy work hours, stress, and a broken oven.