On a diet my whole life (or so it feels)

Options
I am desperate, I am sad and I am ashamed I have let myself get like this..I have pretty much dug myself into a rut... It has always been easy to put the weight on and take it off and now being 36 its even easier to put it on and even harder to take it off. We have 3 teenage girls in the house and its hard to do healthy eating...My 2 step daughters and husband are naturally tall and thin and can eat anything and gain nothing (i gain 10 lbs watching them eat). . I have always battled with my weight and my daughter is in the same boat with me...she is a spitting image of myself when i was younger. She is a healthy eater. when her step sisters are having ice cream after school, she is eating string cheese and brussel sprouts...her and I don't eat a lot of junk food. I see these men and women on here losing so much weight...I am inspired. What are your secrets to staying on track? easy recipes you use for yourself when the rest of the family isn't on the same page as you? What DO you do when your family is on a regular routine and you are on a diet? any workouts I can do at home? I would be ecstatic to get back to my pre-baby weight (15 yrs ago) but at this point i would be excited to get into my clothes from last year... any pointers, recipes, workout ideas, etc would be so much appreciated :)

Replies

• latehippy
    latehippy Posts: 7
    Options
    :smile: Hey dirtrockersgi- I feel you!! I am 38 and have noticed a major difference in the last few years as well. Like you, weight and diets have been a big part of my life since it mattered (like, 12). Also like you, I am generally a healthy eater - love all the good stuff (veggies, fruits, etc..).. but don't get me wrong, I could eat cake and ice cream easily twice a day everyday.

i grew up in a circle of friends, including my younger sister, who were effortlessly thin, so i know that struggle as well. And i do consider a struggle, and at times, feel the weight of the seeming injustice of it.

SO what keeps me going is-

1- accepting that it will always be an effort for me; however
    2- it is WORTH it and
    3- i realized i have some positives that others may not have, so i find balance in that and forgive Fate her unfair hand (example- i found out all my skinny friends were jealous of my bigger breasts and cleavage lol i didn't realize that really small breasts just can't make cleavage - i did find out firsthand when i got down to a size 0 at one point years ago LOL))

What's your motivation?

I have to constantly remind myself of mine- health is a big part of it for me, having longevity and energy for my son, and seeing the changes in my face help too :)
  • dirtrockersgirl
    dirtrockersgirl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that I am not alone...my motivation is also health...since i have gained i feel tired and sluggish and even down sometimes... sometimes i have to kick myself to work out. And yes, thank God for boobs...i told my husband the bigger they are the smaller my waist looks...LOL! We also have a history of diabetes and high blood pressure in my family. My little sister suffered a brain aneurysm 2 years ago which they say was from her HBP. She was 32 at the time. She is a survivor, thank you God, and today she is getting better. I also want to set an example for my daughter..she is in the same boat as me...i know what it was like growing up like that (my dad always told me i was "big boned" when the other kids called me fat). kids are mean. I dont want to be a super model or anything, i just want to feel good, energetic and be youthful as i age, if that makes sense...
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Just so you are aware of why it's easier and easier to gain back with each yo-yo, and harder and harder to lose.

Unless you diet with a reasonable deficit, eat enough protein, and do some sort of total body strength training - you will lose muscle mass.

The worse any of those 3 are (big deficit, not enough protein, total cardio), the worse the muscle lost is.

That makes it easier to gain fat as your metabolism drops with less muscle, so all eating levels must be less than they otherwise could be.
    When at the point of losing muscle mass, usually metabolism is slowing down even an additional amount, being suppressed.
    Harder next time around because now you have to eat so little to lose, it's harder to adhere.

Just so you know that. Because many have gotten up to 50-60 years old and realize they've done that to themselves, and wish they hadn't wasted their life away with terrible relationship with food and body yo-yo dieting.

So just to encourage you - do NOT do it the same way you have in the past - unless you desire the same long term results and worse. By which I mean - here you are again from last time.

Use MFP correctly, log your food accurately by weighing it, log your exercise correctly, and it'll work out well.

Oh, reasonable weekly loss amount should be set to 1.5 lbs weekly, change to 1 lb weekly with 20 lbs to go. That's reasonable.
    Double the grams of default protein given, keep the grams of fat given, lower the % of carbs to make that happen.
    Log your exercise and correctly eat back those calories to keep a reasonable deficit, and make the majority of your exercise strength training - lifting or better yet circuit training. At home that means some heavier dumbbells probably, 2-5 lbs ain't going to cut it.
  • dirtrockersgirl
    Options
    heybales- thank you so much for the info.. over the years i have pretty much collected a gym in my basement...i am a walker though and i know i need to work on the weights... just looking for a good weight lifting plan. Also i have dropped my goal to 1 pound per week as you said... i just get a little eager to see results (which is probably why i fail most of the time.)
  • iris7077ca
    Options
    Everything you said I can actually relate too. I have nieces and friends that can eat like no tomorrow and not gain an ounce of fat and then there is me I eat a cookie and I gained 20 lbs.. Many times I also feel sad and I guess depress, because of my dramatic weight gain. It's been diet after diet for many years. I came to a conclusion that in order to lose weight and get healthy again I will need to change many things about me. I think we both can relate that changes is a struggle is a hard thing to do. So this is the reason I joined MFP to look for motivation and advice of how others did it. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in this and I believe with a little discipline and motivation we can get to our goal weight..
  • dirtrockersgirl
    Options
    Hi! It is so nice to meet other people out there in the same situation as me. Would you want to motivate each other? share recipes and excercise ideas? i need someone i can bounce things off of, who will motivate and inspire me and i would like to do the same for someone else...as i said, i have to do this with or without someone to lean on, but its more fun with someone.:smile:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    heybales- thank you so much for the info.. over the years i have pretty much collected a gym in my basement...i am a walker though and i know i need to work on the weights... just looking for a good weight lifting plan. Also i have dropped my goal to 1 pound per week as you said... i just get a little eager to see results (which is probably why i fail most of the time.)

That's why measuring many spots can be encouraging too.

1 lb of fat lost, depending on where the body loses it - could show up as a great drop in volume in a couple of places.

So while it seems lbs are dropping slowly, inches that people actually see are melting away faster.

Circuit training has a great burn compared to straight lifting, though not as much as cardio (at least during the session, more later though).

3 times weekly, 3 to 4 circuit sets depending on time, 15-20 reps with 60 sec or less between lifts, 7 - 9 lifts.
    Heavy enough weights that you can barely go over 20 reps. When you add 5 lbs as you progress, need to drop to 15 reps until you build back up.
    Here is routine using dumbbells that you could get 7-9 out of, or go for all 10 if you have time. Keep in this order as it spreads the load out between upper and lower, push and pull.

squat narrow stance - glutes/quads
    shoulder press - deltoids
    calf raises (seated and standing alternate)
    lat pull down, or pull-over, or wide-grip pullups as many as you can do - lats
    deadlift - total body
    bench press - pecs
    plank to give out - stomach/core
    bent-over row - upper back
    straight-leg deadlift - hamstrings
    lateral raise - side deltoids

For tips on how to do those with dumbbells - click on muscle, find dumbbell section and the lift.
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WtFemale.html
  • dirtrockersgirl
    Options
    Thank you so much! I will try this out tomorrow! just knowing i have something to work with is motivating to me...i dont feel like im walking in circles! i will let you know how i feel! thank you thank you!!!:smile: