Help keep me going In the days to come

Options
Pete1964AK
Pete1964AK Posts: 85 Member
HI

Just finished my first week, fully logged and was delighted and amazed to find that 8 pounds had fallen off. ( I have a fear they're just hiding in the bathroom waiting for me to go back in there and then they'll pounce on me.)
I'm old enough to realise that was a bit of a fluke and it's not going to be that easy in the months ahead.

I'm a 50 year old guy, weighing 257 at 6'2 and hoping to get under 200 - and that's a number I haven't seen since I was a teen.
I have a bit of a problem with the muscles in my back, which I'm hoping that weight loss will help. At the moment, that restricts how much exercise I can do - well, that and being old(ish), fat and unfit.

Hoping to get a few friends on here that will help keep me on the straight and narrow, and if you happen to know the secret to finding tasty snacks that are low in carbs, then that would be awesome too.

Replies

• rin_fitness
    Options
    Hello,

I didn't think I would like greek yogurt and then I found yoplait source greek yogurt (50 calories per container). It comes in many flavours and has fruit mixed in.

My favorite breakfast is Kellogg's Vector cereal, which has protein, with vanilla almond milk. If feeling like something different add cinnamon.

Turkey pepperoni sticks are also a good option that are less calories than regular pepperoni sticks.

Cheese and nuts are good but in moderation.

Welcome to the wonderful world of calorie-counting!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Great start! Many people find the beginning losses are good, and you're realistic enough to know that future weeks will be different.

Favourite low-carb snacks;

string cheese
    nuts
    hard boiled egg
    crab sticks
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    That's great progress and you should be proud consistency is the key. I'm afraid can't help you on the low carb thing but well done on your progress so far and if this 45 year old can do it so can you.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    HI

Just finished my first week, fully logged and was delighted and amazed to find that 8 pounds had fallen off. ( I have a fear they're just hiding in the bathroom waiting for me to go back in there and then they'll pounce on me.)
    I'm old enough to realise that was a bit of a fluke and it's not going to be that easy in the months ahead.

I'm a 50 year old guy, weighing 257 at 6'2 and hoping to get under 200 - and that's a number I haven't seen since I was a teen.
    I have a bit of a problem with the muscles in my back, which I'm hoping that weight loss will help. At the moment, that restricts how much exercise I can do - well, that and being old(ish), fat and unfit.

Hoping to get a few friends on here that will help keep me on the straight and narrow, and if you happen to know the secret to finding tasty snacks that are low in carbs, then that would be awesome too.

Congrats on the 8 lbs. That is a good way to get started.

Low carb snacks:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/snacks.htm

Hard boiled eggs
    Plain yogurt mixed with sliced cucumbers and dill
    Small handful of nuts
    Celery and low sugar peanut butter
    Tuna salad without the bread
    Sardines
    Broccoli with 2 Tables spoons hummus.
  • JasonKnight85
    JasonKnight85 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Unless you've got a specific medical reason, I'd say it's all about eating the right carbs in the proper amounts rather than low/no carbs. Find foods rich in complex carbohydrates that also have a fair amount of fiber to slow their absorbsion. Your body needs all of the macro groups. Just avoid added sugars and things like high fructose corn syrup. I'm an ex-type 2 diabetic who was able to finally kick drugs like metformin and insulin out of my life after really taking the time to learn to eat better. I used to live miserably depriving myself from foods I loved until I took control and decided to change. Mostly it took preparing my favorite foods with healthier ingredients and cooking more at home when I was really craving something rather than eating out, but now at least I know I can eat whatever I want if I'm willing to find better ways to make it.