What if I am hungry ALL THE TIME?

Options
Especially now that my mind knows I am trying to not eat so much. It's like your parent telling you not to do something and now you want to do it even more. I seem to be fine during work when my mind is occupied ..but once I get home my mind goes crazy. Can anyone give me any tips at all to stop this??

Chew gum?
Chew on ice?
Anything?

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    It sounds like boredom hunger, and staying distracted seems like a good option. You could also sip on water as well; that's what I do when I feel hungry but am unsure. If the water doesn't satisfy me/make it go away, it's probably a good indicator that I actually am hungry.

Other than that, I did skim through your diary and your protein definitely isn't the problem. You could try experimenting with more calorie dense/filling foods though, if you feel like your current goals aren't working. Or, add a few lower cal snacks into your day, and divide your calories up more than just three meals. I've found that has really helped with me feeling more satiated throughout the day.
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Try adjusting your ratios. If you find youre hungry all the time, you may need to add more fats to your diet. If adding fats is taking away too much from your protein and carb ratio, bump up your calorie intake.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    At 1200 calories, another possibility is more food. At your weight 1200 calories would help you lose about 1 lb a week. Without so much weight to lose you could adjust your account to lose .5 lb per week which would give you a few more daily calories. And when you exercise you get even more calories you can eat

That said I do use gum, diet soda, water, fruit, snacks, all of the above. It's nice to actually crave these items and not just as a substitution for when I'm hungry. Everything's in rotation :)
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Will-power and toilet paper....^___^
    girl-eating-toilet-paper-o.gif
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I've posted this on a few threads, (no affiliation but I should probably start getting commission :wink: ); I really like this blog article about hunger: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/9-ways-to-deal-with-hunger-on-a-diet.html

Also, just know that what you're experiencing is a very normal reaction to restricting your intake. It's one reason why so many people struggle with losing weight. as soon as they start telling themselves they can't eat something, they want to eat it. I would just try to do everything you can to make it feel like you're not actually dieting. Keep eating the foods you really enjoy, even though you need to exercise moderation. Don't make it harder than it needs to be.

Don't cut calories too low either. Looking at your diary, you're aiming for 1200 calories? If your profile picture is current, I'd suggest that you are aiming for too drastic a calorie deficit with 1200 calories. You look like you're a healthy weight and your ticker suggests you want to lose about 9 more pounds? Best to aim to lose about 0.5 lbs a week, max. Not only will that help you preserve your lean mass, but it should help a bit with hunger too.
  • upasanaD
    upasanaD Posts: 56
    Options
    I had the same problem in the starting. But now i feel full throughout the day. I am sharing my sample diet chart with you -

Breakfast - oatmeal made with skimmed milk, old fashion oats, any of the fruits ( papaya , melon, apple etc), 1 tablespoon honey and 1 table spoon ground flax seeds powder. ( This flax seeds power will help you feel full throughout the day and it has Omega 3 which helps losing weight)

Lunch - 2 indian bread (made with multigrain wheat ), some protein dish ( soyabin curry, chickpeas curry, beans curry, chiken, egg whites etc) and salad (tomato, cucumber , carrot).

Dinner - 2 indian bread / brown rice, some protein dish ( cottage cheese curry, chiken curry, mutton curry, egg curry etc )

snacks choices - almonds, walnuts, fruits, salad, whole wheat diet rusk, coffee, soya milk, low fat yougurt, egg whites etc.

* I drink 6-7 liters water in a day so never feel hungry.
    * If i feel hungry after my workout i eat egg whites because it has few calories, high protein and i will feel full.

Best of luck
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    more filing foods, salads with tons of lettuce so you have to take more time to chew, carrots and celery for snacks, lots more water, protein and fiber foods
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    When I feel hungry I drink water to see if its thirst disguised, then I find things to do if im still hungry I will have some fruit or a liberte yogurt or some nuts that's all I can advise
  • BadKittie05
    BadKittie05 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I seem to be eating almost constantly. With that being said, I eat breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner and possibly a snack after dinner if the calories are there and I'm still hungry. I've been losing weight too so it's not be working against me, but you have to be able to find foods that fit into your guide lines. Also, 1200 calories would not fill me up unless I'm also eating back all of my exercise calories. Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • pamelas9
    pamelas9 Posts: 29
    Options
    I knew someone who was on medication that made her hungry all the time. After gaining some weight she just resolved that she would always feel a little hungry and used to track her food to be sure it was just her body sending her the wrong signal, that she knew she was eating properly.

I agree with the other posters that your long term success might be better served by a slower rate of loss..
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Learn to love veggies. You can eat them--the non starchy ones (which includes carrots, potatoes, squash etc.) in mass amounts to keep your mouth busy and not impede your weight loss goals. In fact, the more veggies you eat, the more you will lose. Make cucumbers, tomatoes, greens, onions, mushrooms, eggplants, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, celery your friends!

Also, fruit! A typical stomach's worth of fruit (a quart) is only 250 calories.

Fill up on nutrient-dense, low calorie foods and nourish your body on the cellular level!
  • alondrasilva10
    Options
    It's not a recent picture. I took it about a year ago but I look pretty much the same. I'm so glad for that article and your advice. I think after reading everyone's comments I might need to add to my intake. I can lose .5 a week! Thank you all!