Afternoon hunger.

Options
It seems everyday around 3:00 I get really ravenous. I eat lunch between 12:30-1:30 . I have to really struggle to make a wise choice during that time. Any suggestions or tips to get through that time period. I try to eat a little protein like a slice or cheese or a tbs of peanut butter . But I find myself really craving carbs more than anything around this time.

Replies

• fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I would go ahead and have some carbs along with the protein. Maybe a piece of fruit or a handfull of multigrain crackers?
  • Jenniferslast10
    Jenniferslast10 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Maybe a carb would be ok. Like 1/2 a whole grain toasted english muffin (50 cal) + a tsp of peanut butter would work with your diet. Hope this helps.
  • kyleti
    kyleti Posts: 2
    Options
    Be sure and keep nursing your water bottle after lunch. At least for me, staying well hydrated seems to reduce the amount of cravings in-between meals.

Another thought is to eat half your lunch at the normal time and the other half around 3pm.
  • haleyga
    Options
    I have found that drinking a cup of hot tea with my afternoon snack helps.
  • kaits108
    kaits108 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I snack on Wasabi Peas. Not like I can attack them no matter how hungry I am LOL! They satisfy my carb craving and take awhile to eat a serving size. :)
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    that's about the time our circadian rhythms dictate we ought to take a catnap, and sadly, that's when most of us get really really busy at work (you know, so we can pick up the kids or be able to leave by 6pm) maybe you're tired and looking for a pick-me-up. Try a cup of green tea (for me, honestly, i get coffee) and see if it helps?
  • elyse0210
    elyse0210 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I usually have a piece of fruit or some triscuits with a light laughing cow cheese.
  • Kuisine111
    Options
    I get hungry in the afternoon also when I am at home, so I eat celery stuffed with Laughing Cow cheese (one wedge is 35 calories and fills 8 pieces of celery) and Special K crackers, which are 90 calories for 17 crackers.
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're pregnant? haha. I have a friend who is going through the exact same cravings...and she is about 3 months pregnant!

If you know you're definitely not expecting, if i was you, i would go for a walk around the office. Or go do some small chore around the house. Then go get a big glass of water, sip on it in the kitchen until you're finished.

This might get rid of you're craving...if it doesn't, then have an apple?
  • darrenw74
    darrenw74 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue.

I've been trying to snack on baby carrots, grape tomatoes, or peanuts, or one of those nature valley crunch bars which are around 160 calories.

In general, I try not to eat my whole lunch at once, but to eat a portion of it and save the rest for that period between lunch and dinner.

Also, drink more water. It helps...a little.
  • kacylaine
    kacylaine Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Warm drinks make you feel fuller. If I get really hungry in the afternoon, I'll have a 100-200 cal snack and a big mug of hot tea.
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. First off, I try to eat as much protein and fiber as I can at lunch to keep me more full. Secondly, I like to bring a healthy snack from home like apple, banana, or veggies and hummus that I know fits into my daily budget and eat it around 3 or 3:30. On "bad" days where I am more hungry than normal, I can think about the snack as a reward for lasting until that time...rather than eating it right after lunch and being hungry again at 3:30 or 4. Lastly, make sure to drink plenty of water!
  • icubsn98
    icubsn98 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice. Today, I am going to plan a little better and try to increase the fiber load at lunch work a 3:00 snack into my calorie budget.
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I snack on Wasabi Peas. Not like I can attack them no matter how hungry I am LOL! They satisfy my carb craving and take awhile to eat a serving size. :)

LOL that sounds like a genius plan. You're hungry, but you can't go overboard because your mouth is on fire. :laugh: