Motivation Lacking

Options
There are some days that I feel so fat that I want to go run and eat better, but then there are the days where I just do not give a poop! How can I get myself to STAY motivated?? Also, I need to burn fat, mostly in the butt area (I have 40in' hips with a 33" waist and I HATE it!) I have actually thought about laser liposuction since its so large =(
basically; how can i get started ?

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Put your gym gear on and go.
  • bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You basically just have to want to. Is losing weight important to you. If it is important enough, you will pick yourself up and start.
  • w734q672
    w734q672 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    "Motivation is bull****. Motivation may get your spark moving, but it is your commitment and discipline that gets you to do the things you desire.” - Elliot Hulse
  • ransaka
    ransaka Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Commit to making a positive change and make it, don't expect miracles overnight, it takes time and effort.

Look in the mirror. Like what you see? Do as you choose. Don't like what you see? Do something about it.
  • TashTag
    TashTag Posts: 109
    Options
    It has taken me years to learn this but if you want it badly enough it will come.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    motivation is not a requirement, getting off your duff and maiking yourself do it because you know you have too, not because you "want" to is a key factor that seperates adult from childeren.

We dont always get to do what we "want" but we do have to do what we need to do. You go to work I assume and unless you are one of the very few people on the planet who "love" their job I am geussing you could find a million other things you "want" to do with your day beside go to work. But you go because you have to, and it is your responsibility.

Take responsibility of your health and just do it, motivation be damned.

Have to agree with this advice. You just make a plan and do it, just like you would a job as stated above, or a doctor appt, etc.

Also, the 7 inch difference in your waist and hips doesn't seem that off. Mine have always been around 10 inches difference and I don't think I am out of proportion.

Edited to add: You can't spot reduce or only burn fat from one area. Your body decides where the fat comes from.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    motivation is not a requirement, getting off your duff and maiking yourself do it because you know you have too, not because you "want" to is a key factor that seperates adult from childeren.

We dont always get to do what we "want" but we do have to do what we need to do. You go to work I assume and unless you are one of the very few people on the planet who "love" their job I am geussing you could find a million other things you "want" to do with your day beside go to work. But you go because you have to, and it is your responsibility.

Have to agree with this advice. You just make a plan and do it, just like you would a job as stated above, or a doctor appt, etc.

Also, the 7 inch difference in your waist and hips doesn't seem that off. Mine have always been around 10 inches difference and I don't think I am out of proportion.

Edited to add: You can't spot reduce or only burn fat from one area. Your body decides where the fat comes from.

Correct. Build habits - motivation never sticks around - habits do. Decide how badly you want this and then make it happen.
  • upasanaD
    upasanaD Posts: 56
    Options
    I think you are pear shaped that's why you have this issue ...bigger butt.
    1st of all identify you are in which shape and exercise accordingly.
    If you lose motivation just think of your dream figure and how much you are
    already close to it. Because gaining the weight again you already lost is really
    painful. When i lose motivation i go through all the motivational quotes.
    My favorite one is -

"Don't give up on a dream just because the time it will take to accomplish it, The time will pass anyway."
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You have to want it bad enough. When that time comes, you will do it.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options

What exactly does this mean, exercise according to your shape?
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options

What exactly does this mean, exercise according to your shape?

I'd like to know too - I'm pretty sure body shape has nothing to do with how we should exercise
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    My advice is not to go all in as this is where I lack motivation just set little goals and they will contribute towards the bigger picture my goals started with ditching soda, drinking more water and 1 workout a day for 10 mins
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Correct. Build habits - motivation never sticks around - habits do. Decide how badly you want this and then make it happen.

Yup. It's normal for motivation to come and go.
  • AtmaKing
    AtmaKing Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Myth - If I do squats my butt will get smaller.

Fact - You cannot spot train to remove fat. . Yes people make millions a year on telling you that you can but you can’t. Yes you can work muscles and they will get stronger and more defined underneath your fat layers. To get a smaller butt you must remove fat, it’s as simple as that.

Now, motivation, well that is something you must attest to yourself. People do things for one of two reasons. Either to avoid pain or gain pleasure. If you feeling fat gives you enough pain that you want to do something about it that is good. But its not, you need a stronger why. Find something that moves you at your core as to why you want to get in shape and be healthy. I understand wanting to look good for your wedding but apparently that isn’t strong enough for you. Try using something like (and I'm sure this isn’t the case because any good man will love you for you) if you don't lose the weight your future husband will not want to marry you let alone on a beach where people see and him together. Maybe change what you believe a worse case scenario could be if you don't change and do what you need to do. Good luck in your journey.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I think fivethreeone says it best:

I don't believe in motivation. So what if the bed is soft and my sleep is sweet and the pillow feels like a cotton dream beneath my lazy head. I don't care. The iron isn't gonna lift itself. Eating right doesn't require cheerleaders. Working out isn't an emotional statement. It is an action, like brushing your teeth or going to work. Just do it

Would you skip a shower just because you didn't feel like it? Would you skip eating just because you're too tired to get off the couch? I don't think so.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Also, I need to burn fat, mostly in the butt area (I have 40in' hips with a 33" waist and I HATE it!) I have actually thought about laser liposuction since its so large =(
    basically; how can i get started ?

People have posted the info on how fat leaves our bodies, so spot reducing or exercising for your shape is not going to be effective. You have to lose all the fat first and then - and this is why I came back - and then you have to make the most of the body shape you have.

Genetics play an enormous role in the general shape of our bodies. Learn to love your awesome shape - there is no changing some things - outside of surgery.
  • tjnewbatt83
    tjnewbatt83 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You basically just have to want to. Is losing weight important to you. If it is important enough, you will pick yourself up and start.

The best advice! I remained overweight for almost 2 years after my second child and it wasn't until I got sick of it did I actually do something! You cannot lose weight for anyone but yourself.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    There are days I don't want to go to work.

There are days I don't want to do my schoolwork.

There are evenings when I don't want to brush my teeth.

There are days I don't want to pay my bills.

There are days I don't want to...

See where I'm coming from?
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Put your gym gear on and go.

This. If your workout day is Wednesday, your *kitten* had best me in the gym on Wednesday. No motivation required.