Do people really have "cheat days"?

Options
So I have a goal of losing 40 pounds. I am not on a diet, I have a lifestlye change. I have heard people say they have "cheat days". I do not exactly understand this tactic. I get that people use it so they dont eat bad on all week. I am struggling to stay on my allotted calories per day but I feel that a cheat day would completely derail me from my lifestyle change.

Opinions?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days or meals.

I log it all and stay as close to goal as possible.

If I want pizza I fit it in, if I want a beer I fit it in.
  • LaneB89
    LaneB89 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's a personal thing. If you feel it would derail you from your lifestyle change, don't do it. If you can make it happen and still hit your desired weight loss, go nuts.
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    No need to do a cheat day if it would derail your weight loss. I dont have one since I feel that allowing myself to eat the food that put me where I am now makes no sense to me.
  • Clarehc
    Clarehc Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't, I eat treats daily tbh but within my calorie limit. I exercise to earn more cals and that gives me some leeway.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options

Yes, this, and it works!!
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I had a whoooooole 12in pizza yesterday and it fit within my calorie limits. If I want to treat myself often I'll get some exercise in to give me a slightly bigger calorie allowance. The key is portion control, that way you don't deprive yourself of your favourite foods and you learn to appreciate them a lot more. Also helps deter you from the temptation of binging on them! I think portion control is the biggest and hardest thing people need to learn concerning weightloss.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options

Same for me. I don't have cheat days.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    all about trial and error. I personally enjoy a cheat dinner every Saturday night. When I initialy started out, I had a cheat weekend. Clearly that did not work, so I switched it up to only a cheat day. Saw better results, but still not at the rate I wanted, so now I switched to a cheat meal which works great and still losing just fine.
  • Debbie043087
    Options
    I have cheat days on Thursdays and Fridays (Husbands home). I try to eat within my calorie limit but if i go over a little bit I dont beat myself up. I think It helps me to not completely derail.
  • dantanjah
    dantanjah Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I do not do cheat days or meals. This is a lifestyle and I cannot cheat my life. I log everything and if I eat more calories I add more exercise.
  • lolalament
    lolalament Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't specifically say "I have a cheat day every Friday" or whatever. but I do have a very small number of days (about 1 a month on average, but so far it's been 2 this month and none last month, so it's dictated by circumstances) where logging is pretty much impossible, so I don't concentrate on that and just have healthier choices.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    So I have a goal of losing 40 pounds. I am not on a diet, I have a lifestlye change. I have heard people say they have "cheat days". I do not exactly understand this tactic. I get that people use it so they dont eat bad on all week. I am struggling to stay on my allotted calories per day but I feel that a cheat day would completely derail me from my lifestyle change.

Opinions?

Purely personal preference.

Do whatever helps you best stay within a caloric deficit long term.

For me personally - I can't fathom a life in which every single day I am counting my calories and sticking to them. So I don't. Once in awhile I just "have at er" (usually in a social/party situation) and then get back at it the next day. So far, so good.
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I don't have a day each week that I say "oooh it's cheat day!" But I do tend to go over on Saturdays because my family normally goes out to lunch on Saturdays and I like to be able to order whatever I want. But I log it and try to stay as close to my goal as possible.
  • hoosiermom777
    Options
    Yes, there really are "cheat days," but be careful. I have mine on Sundays because I host a big family dinner every week on Sundays, but just be careful. Even on your cheat days to not go overboard. I seem to find that when you get in the habit of the so-called cheat days you will be more apt to cheat, more often. So my only advice is not to say "oh well, I will just use this as my cheat day" whenever you feel like it. Make yourself a set day to cheat.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

Opinions?

If you're not on a diet, then there's nothing to cheat on. Yes, some people do have what they call "cheat days" where they eat whatever they want, logging or not logging. I don't cheat or binge; I eat. I stay around 1650 Monday-Friday and eat about 2000-2200 on weekends. This averages out to about 1810 calories per day for the week, which is my TDEE - 10%. I eat burgers, pizza, frozen yogurt, Chinese, Mexican, fast food, you name it. I don't cook on weekends, so it's much easier sticking to 1650 on weekdays than it would be on weekends. I'm still losing weight. I don't call it cheating, though - it's just how my life has always been. I still log everything and make sure I stay under my weekly calorie goal. If it fits into my calories, it's fair game. Some people opt to fit "treats" into their daily goals, but that doesn't really work for me because I have no need/desire for eating out or snacking on high calorie sweets during the work week. I do have what I call a "fat weekend" or "*kitten* it weekend" once a month. I still log everything, but I'll end up way over my weekly goal. I usually see a small increase in weight the next week, which is mostly water, but it all evens out in the end. Still, it's not cheating. It's living.

If you don't want to have a "cheat day", then don't! It's certainly not a requirement. But it won't derail your weight loss unless you're going over your weekly goal.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. I eat as I please and work my calories into my limit for the day or week. I don't live in a box and neither will my calories.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days but I do pause my weight loss efforts from time to time and go into maintenance.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

^^^This is what I do also. I also watch my weekly. Meaning some days I come in under and the I know if I come in slightly over the next, it causes no harm. I never come near maintenance though.
  • sunnywendt
    sunnywendt Posts: 39
    Options
    I do not have cheat days, meals or snacks. If I would like to have something that does not fit into the healthy meal plan I am eating than I work it in. I only do this from time to time, but I work for it. If I would like a candy bar from time to time then I will do more physical activity on that day before having a sweet treat. I never eat the treat first and tell myself, "I will work it off later" because then later never comes. I only use it as a reward from time to time not every day.
    :smile: :wink: