Half Marathon Training

Options
Quick Question:

Training for a half marathon in April and I've been following Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Training Schedule and adding a few twists suggested by a friend. However I was wondering if anyone had a schedule they would recommend for me.

One thing about Hal's that I don't really like is that it doesn't have interval or HIIT involved with the training. In getting myself ready to even be prepared to being this training I did a lot of interval running coupled with long runs and fast runs. I just want something to look at, add to my schedule, and be able to check off. I like to check things off! Since I'm having to add so much to Hal's anyways, I'm thinking of just rewriting the whole thing. But I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I look on RunnersWorld.com and liked a few of their schedules though I didn't understand a lot of their terminology. I'm new to this whole ball of wax. :o)

Let me know what worked for you, what you would recommend! I've got 12 weeks! :o)

Replies

• Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TedTorres
    TedTorres Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm reading Hal's book, "Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide" and it seems his training schedule is designed just to finish. Of course I'm only 100 pages into the book right now and that is my focus. I am not really following much of a training schedule myself and due to run my first half marathon in a month. I've been running and running and running since November. If you're looking for a more intense training program you might have to look elsewhere. Jeff Galloway's run/walk probably isn't for you. Check out the article "Way of the Renegades" in the January 2011 edition of Runner's World. The training schedule is for a marathon, but I'm sure you can tweak it too your liking. Best of luck!
  • TedTorres
    TedTorres Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Accidental duplicate entry deleted.
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    Have a look at micoach by Adidas (www.micoach.com). It has a range of programs including 1/2 and full marathon. I'm just doing the 5k program but bf has been doing the 1/2 marathon one and it does look like it includes intervals. Its free to sign up and also has an iPhone (or Blackberry) app.
  • Toddap
    Toddap Posts: 4
    Options
    I followed Hal's intermediate guide to train for the Las Vegas Half in December. I really don't enjoy running but wanted to do a half marathon. It's always easier for me to work out with a goal rather than working out just for the sake of working out.

I finished the 1/2 in 2:13 and I'm 50 pounds overweight. You can search high and low for the right program but it's really just about putting in the miles. Learning to continue running even though the long runs can be incredibly boring. You just have to put in the miles.

Good Luck
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You can look at his intermediate or advanced workouts to get some ideas for intervals. OR just pick an interval workout of your choice and insert it into one of the days.
  • akasullengal
    akasullengal Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    I used his novice training for my first half. My goal was just to finish, and I did. I agree that you can use his intermediate ones for more interval training. I also tried to use my shorter runs to really push myself... stay out of my running comfort zone, which helped increase my speed in the long run, as well as my stamina. I'm about to start training for my second half in April and might try his intermediate guide.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    I followed Hal's half training for the Vegas half in December. You can work in other training on the days labled cross training. It worked well for me. The most important aspect of training as stressed to my by my wife was to do the distance and not focus on the speed. Speed will come as you get in shape. My mile pace for the half was 11:20, with a dodgy calf muscle. My goal for the half changed with an injury a week before i ran; i just wanted to get through it without hurting myself. My current runs since the half have been averaging under 10:00 minute miles on runs to 4 miles in length. It was an excellent program to follow, and i'll use it again for my next half.
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    I think that is a solid plan, even without the speed/hill work. You can incorporate that in on your own, just remember not every run/workout is the same, so it shouldn't feel the same. Maybe do one run/week with speed intervals and one with hills (or amp up your leg strength training on your cross training days instead of hill repeats). There are a lot of runners on MFP to help you with the terminology and such :)

Congrats on your training!
  • claudiaquintero
    Options
    I think the following site can give you more ideas to incorporate to what you already know:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/144.shtml
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    Okay cool! Well at least I'm on the right path anyways! Interesting about Hal's training being to finish. I of course want to do cuthat...LOL! And right now, being at the beginning of his training the long runs aren't too boring...Yet...LOL!

I looked at the intermediate training and that seems to be more my cup of tea. I didn't really look at it before thinking that there was no way I could handle it. But since you guys mentioned it, I checked it out. Much better. Love it! Now I am going to put it in my calender and get started! I'm pumped!!!! :o)

Thanks for the input!!!
  • lbridges27
    Options
    bump