miracle rice/noodles

Options
gieshagirl
gieshagirl Posts: 102 Member
just heard of these.....are they edible or gross? is the texture close to what they are suppose to imitate? thanks

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    anything that's touting itself as a miracle... isn't.

I'm assuming you're talking about those shirataki deals. Just.. ugh.
    I've tried them a handful of times, and they smell like a fish market. They don't taste much better.
    If you want noodles, make room for them in the calories you already have.. otherwise, welcome to disappointment-land.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    They are made of cellulose -- a fiber.
    They have no taste.
    But when you first open the bag, they have a slightly fishy smell.
    You need to rinse them off in a strainer or colander.
    I cannot describe the texture. It was sort of like a relative of pasta -- no exactly but somewhat related.

I ate them twice but did not buy them again.
    They are probably worth a try if you are looking for something different.
  • mufin71
    mufin71 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I found them to be very slimy in texture and did not have much flavor, but thats my own opion. You may like them.
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    when you open up the bag it sort of smells like dead fish. people will tell you that if you rinse them the smell and taste will disappear.... i find this to be half true. i really had to rinse mine repeatedly and boil them to rid them of the smell/taste. i dont hate them, but it's not pasta. it sort of has a calamari texture to them... aka a bit rubbery. you have to go in with low expectations....
  • 2910s
    2910s Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm in the minority here but I like them. I rinse them well, and boil them for a couple of minutes. This usually takes care of the fishy smell. If you have a flavorful sauce and add a ton of veggies, it will be filling and delicious. If you are expecting it to be like regular noodles/pasta, then you'll be disappointed but it is close enough for me to get rid of my craving.
  • KerryITD
    KerryITD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I like them too--especially in asian dishes like stir fries with maybe a teriyaki sauce. Quick, easy, and no guilt. :)
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I like shirataki noodles too! You absolutely must rinse them well, and then sautee them plain until they are almost dry before you add any sauces and ingredients. This way they are not slimy, not smelly, and will readily pick up the flavors of whatever you are eating them with.
    I'm actually planning on making a package tonight, with curry powder, a little oil, pineapple, bell peppers, mushrooms, and sesame seeds. Imagine if I made this with pasta instead - I'm saving like 200 calories or more, and will be full and happy when I eat it for lunch tomorrow.
    I can understand why alot of people don't like them, but it's worth a shot if you haven't tried them before. I like them.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I soak them while I prep the chicken and veggies
    for my pancit. Bust out the wok, and you have a
    low calorie, control the sodium dish!
  • WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this topic...because this guy can talk about some shirataki noodles. For real.

First, I love them. But don't follow anyone's opinions until you've tried them for yourself.

I've found that the difference between loving and hating them is all in the variety and preparation. Mmmhmm.

I, personally, do not like the plain, zero-calorie shirataki noodles. But I L-O-V-E the tofu shirataki variety. They are more similar in color and texture to regular pasta, but do have some calories. Not many. Only 20 per 4 ounce serving, or 40 for the entire 8 ounce bag.

Also - there's an art to making them. After all, this isn't your mother's pasta. When you open the bag, IGNORE the smell. You just have to. After all, tofu itself is made from bean curd, so it's not meant to smell pretty. Or even like pasta. Once you've drained and rinsed several times, throw them in a skillet on medium high. After a few minutes, all of the moisture from the noodles will start cooking out of them and evaporating. When you do this, the sour smell/taste goes with it. Once the noodles are dry (no water/moisture left in the skillet), add your veggies and seasonings. The pasta takes on the flavor of whatever it's cooked with. Then, add your sauce. There are TONS of options here. And heck, with the "pasta" having so little calories, you can practically use whatever sauce you want - alfredo, pesto, tomato, etc.

I've come up with many different recipes myself, including my Spicy Creamed Tomato "Spaghetti" (around 300 calories for the entire plate/pictured below), and my Diced Tomato & Bacon Carbonara "Fettuccine". Delicious.

Give them a try! And also, you MUST read FinallyChelle's blog post on Shriataki Noodles & Preparation. It's a game changer.

:)

30vg76v.jpg

26238np.jpg
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I've had these a few times both rice and pasta versions. They just take on the flavour of whatever you cook them with & I find they are a great thing to have occasionally if you are really trying to stick to your calorie goal and don't have that many left for dinner.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options

I've tried them a handful of times, and they smell like a fish market. They don't taste much better.
    If you want noodles, make room for them in the calories you already have.. otherwise, welcome to disappointment-land.

Oops, I was assuming rice noodles.

(Bihon)

Pancitsmall.jpg
  • ils_1231
    Options
    wadelam - can you link that blog post please?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Ding ding ding!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    They remind me of intestinal worms, and taste what I imagine worms to taste like.
  • d0v3r13
    d0v3r13 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    the worst food i've ever put in my mouth. i spit them out twice and almost barfed. i've never had that kind of gag reflex from anything else and i've tried some gross things. but, that's me and we all have our own preferences. if you are desperate for a pasta replacement give them a try, why not. worst thing that can happen is you don't like them and waste a few bucks.
  • WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Here's the link to FinallyChelle's post on Shirataki Noodles:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/536767-let-s-talk-about-shirataki-noodles

It's a MUST read...

:)
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I had my curry/veggie/shirataki noodle lunch today, and OMG it was good! It was just like eating noodles to me. It's in my diary if you want to see it. Only 300 calories, and it made a huge amount. I almost don't even want my cookie right now lol. And I opened the baggy and smelled it. Yeah, I'm so satisfied, I will wait until 1:30 to eat my cookie. Thanks, shirataki noodles!
  • ils_1231
    Options
    lol i love the way she writes... shes funny.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I love my tofu shiritaki - I use them as noodle replacements in my higher fat/low carb meal and use regular GF noodles in my higher carb/low fat meal.

I open the pack and dump them into a very fine sieve and run hot water over them for several minutes mixing well with my fingers to separate them. I love the texture which is slightly springy against the tooth, quite a lot like properly cooked al dente pasta.
    You can top with whatever sauce you like, or dump them into a stirfry for a sort of chow mein. They will take on the flavour of whatever you cook them with just like regular tofu.