Do people really have "cheat days"?

Options

Replies

• systemlayers
    Options
    Personally I cheat sometimes but recently if I have something I used to love (like a slice of pizza) afterwards I just feel really bad/sluggish. Whatever you do make sure it fits your caloric goals but if all you eat is 2000 calories of sugar don't expect to lose weight fast. Keep 95% healthy and save the other 5% for social obligations.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    yes they do but the ones who use the cheat days really think of them as reefed days instead of "cheating". Most nutritionists and trainers will tell you its a good idea to add them in here and there. Just track no matter what
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    So I have a goal of losing 40 pounds. I am not on a diet, I have a lifestlye change. I have heard people say they have "cheat days". I do not exactly understand this tactic. I get that people use it so they dont eat bad on all week. I am struggling to stay on my allotted calories per day but I feel that a cheat day would completely derail me from my lifestyle change.

Opinions?

Some good advice is to stay on track no matter what in your first few months of eating at a deficit then when you feel confident enough to trust yourself on a reefed day, that is when you can do it. The first few weeks/months are your adjustment period.

A quick note: if you are struggling now, try to add in more filling foods and tweek what you are eating now to add more vegies and fiber, etc. This will help you stay on track better and reduce the struggling
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days but I do pause my weight loss efforts from time to time and go into maintenance.

I do this too, especially in the winter or over holidays or heavy travel times. It's just like, okay, I'm not going to worry about losing right now, I'm just going to hold on to what I've accomplished for a a couple weeks or a month (or two).
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I let myself have a treat on Saturday and usually one bad meal. Seems to be working out okay for me, so not really worried about it. During the week if something comes up, I'll work it in my calories, but on Saturday if I go over, I just go over.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    IMO, people who have "cheat days" pretty much haven't figured out this little thing called moderation and they still view various foods as "good" and "bad". They are generally wrapped up in the minutia of individual food items rather than being able to look at their diet as a whole.

I always had a reasonable calorie deficit when I was losing weight and hit on my nutrition, but otherwise allowed myself whatever so long as I was hitting my calories and nutrition...it was easy and I never saw any reason to have "cheat days."
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I don't normally do cheat days. I burn a lot of calories, so I usually don't have a need for a cheat day. Once in a while I will say screw it and have an unplanned one if someone invites me out to dinner or something late in the day after I have eaten most of my calories, but that only happens once a month or so.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I don't do "cheat" meals/days. I think those that do perhaps (and this is my opinion only, from the outside looking in) do so because for a couple of different reasons:

1. They are overly restricting calories (the "default" 1200 cal/day, no eating back exercise, based on old "standards")
    2. They are restricting entire food groups or macros based on fads or "shaky" research (low carb, low fat, low protein, no white bread, vegan for "diet" reasons as opposed to very valid ethical reasons, etc.)
    3. They view the whole process of weight loss as "dieting" (i.e. short term goals vs. long term lifestyle)

All three of those things can lead to sabotage and failures. For some, the solution is allowing for one meal of "whatever" to satisfy unmet fuel needs (macro, micro, and/or caloric) caused by above dietary restrictions. For some, this method does work very well. For others, it is a recipe for disappointment and eventual stalls and bumps in the road.

What to *I* do? Well, I don't ever call it "cheat." I do prefer to keep to "healthy" foods 80% of the time or more. For me, that means striving to meet my macros daily (+/-5%) and get the most micro nutrients I can from food alone. That means produce, whole foods, and lean meats and a good mix of dairy products.

But I'm human (and American), so I still desire pizzas and take-outs and the occasional alcoholic beverage or ice cream treat, so I consume those in moderation, and pick yummy things that work for my macros as best as I can. I good compromise for me, I don't assign it a day or designate it as "cheating".
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I used to, but not anymore. I log everyday (even if I'm sitting down at 10 pm to finish it), and even if I go over, I try not to worry about it. I also look at my caloric intake as a weekly goal, rather than purely a daily goal. So, I might go over a bit one day, but I'll make it up throughout the week - and lead to an overall caloric deficit at the end of the week (Mon - Sun).
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    IMO, people who have "cheat days" pretty much haven't figured out this little thing called moderation and they still view various foods as "good" and "bad". They are generally wrapped up in the minutia of individual food items rather than being able to look at their diet as a whole.
    I don't do "cheat" meals/days. I think those that do perhaps (and this is my opinion only, from the outside looking in) do so because for a couple of different reasons:

1. They are overly restricting calories (the "default" 1200 cal/day, no eating back exercise, based on old "standards")
    2. They are restricting entire food groups or macros based on fads or "shaky" research (low carb, low fat, low protein, no white bread, vegan for "diet" reasons as opposed to very valid ethical reasons, etc.)
    3. They view the whole process of weight loss as "dieting" (i.e. short term goals vs. long term lifestyle)

Strong assumptions...

Maybe some people just aren't wrapped up in the idea of being "within their calories" every single day and sometimes just want to throw caution to the wind to enjoy a care free day. As long as it isn't sabotaging their goals I don't see any danger with a "cheat day" (regardless of whatever you want to call it).

The idea of "cheat days" and IIFYM or moderation aren't mutually exclusive.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

Strong assumptions...

Maybe some people just aren't wrapped up in the idea of being "within their calories" every single day and sometimes just want to throw caution to the wind to enjoy a care free day. As long as it isn't sabotaging their goals I don't see any danger with a "cheat day" (regardless of whatever you want to call it).

The idea of "cheat days" and IIFYM or moderation aren't mutually exclusive.

agree completely. I have one cheat meal a week, and my definition of cheat meal is just a meal where I can eat carefree,pick anything I want off a menu and enjoy, nothing to do with not understanding moderation. I eat whatever I want all week. I dont believe in good or bad foods. Last night I had a cheeseburger and cheeto puffs and chocolate ice cream cone!! So yummy.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    It's only ok if your partner is into it.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I don't call it a cheat day, I call it a free day, free from logging my food and working out, usually on Sundays, and I just try to be aware of what I am eating. If I want food on my normal days, I eat it, I just make sure it fits in with my day!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    When monitoring closely, I ALWAYS have a cheat day.
  • nmcrosier
    nmcrosier Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I don't necesssarily have cheat days...more like oh, crap days - I'm not feeling like eating clean...BUT I log everything in and get my *kitten* moving & back to eating clean asap to make up for my mis-steps
  • JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, I just fit whatever I want to eat, in moderation (definition of "moderation" may vary from day-to-day!), into my daily calories. Burger & fries Monday, fine. Pie for dessert last night, fine. Nothing is off-limits.

THAT SAID, in the past I have used "cheat meals" - specifically when I was cutting for a photo shoot. I was on a pretty strict diet & so once/week (Saturday lunch) my coach scheduled in a cheat meal for me. When you're being really restrictive all week long, it was a pretty big deal, mentally speaking, to have that break. And it was a single meal - whatever I wanted in 1 sitting - not an entire free-for-all day.
  • shaylalaine
    shaylalaine Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When I hit 80 days of doing this I was going crazy and decided to eat. Not the right kind of reward and I know better but I am so hungry and I miss the pleasure I used to get from eating something yummy. I ate, I logged it, I was over my calories by 1500. I gained.

I started over the next day. I do not yet know how to have a cheat day, because if I eat over my calories I will gain, that's not cheating anything but myself.
    I should be more loyal and devoted to myself, no one likes a cheater.
    I am not cheating the system, I am accountable for all. If I want something I try to have a lil bit. after I've eaten my rabbit food or whatever
    I think if I were in a maintenance place it wouldn't be so bad to eat beyond my calories one day, because, if I gain four pounds after losing 80 its not as crucial. 4 pounds now is like a large percentage of my loss!

I don't know if this helps you, but it sure helped me to think about it. Best of luck.
  • rehmertm1955
    rehmertm1955 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I guess the holidays is what one would call the "cheat days" and I'm guilty of that. In those times, I make double sure I do my exercises to counteract the extra calories. You don't necessarily have to do extra, you can if you're able to, just make sure you do them and get back on your diet the next day. Life is life and it's too short to deprive yourself. Having said that, if you are one that beats yourself up because you ate something you shouldn't, then it's best not to give in to the temptation of "cheat days".
  • Jess1caLe
    Jess1caLe Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree with the majority, it's a personal preference.

For me, I do a cheat meal or snack, once in a while, but I try to do it within my caloric limits. Cheat days will completely ruin my mood with a whole day of bad meals. Not to mention the Eater's Remorse/Junk Food Hangover the next day...
    If you're starting out, I think it's also best to stay away from cheat meals/snacks, until you get a good schedule for your lifestyle change. For me, my lifestyle change was the timing of my eating habits, I used to eat 3 big meals a day. Now I graze on 6-8 small meals/snacks throughout the day. By doing that, it's help curb my want to eat an entire cheat meal, I usually end up eating half of it. Plus my "cheat meal" usually ends up being a "date night" with the Boy, considering that not only the timing of how many meals I ate changed, but the fact that 90% of our meals are prepped at home. So it's a nice treat to eat out every couple of weeks. Even with that, the Boy and I share and appetizer and split an entrée, so it helps keep within our caloric intake for the day. So the way I see it, a cheat meal helps keep you honest the rest of the time, also let you develop the need to moderate yourself when you're not able to eat clean 100% of the time. I hope this helps.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I dont have cheat days. I fit mine in. I had Applebees and FROYO on Saturday but I fit it in. The only thing i risk messing up on the weekend is sodium. Then I'm just bloated for a few days. But I make sure I fit it in.