I threw food away!

Options
vegasmellie
vegasmellie Posts: 118 Member
I don't know why it's so hard for me to do this. I feel like I'm wasting food if I don't eat it all. Where do you suppose that comes from? It's not my upbringing, so I have no idea.

Here's the story...yesterday was my bday and my friends came over to celebrate. They brought a yummy chocolate cake. I couldn't' convince them to take it home with them so there in my fridge it sat. I wish I could tell some tale of incredible willpower, but I took a flying leap off the wagon today and actually ate TWO pieces! There was still almost 1/2 the cake left so I made a startling decision. I threw it away! not just in my trash, but out to the dumpster. I feel great but also guilty.

still, I'll celebrate with a victory dance and try to work off the pieces I inhaled. :laugh:

Replies

• vegasmellie
    vegasmellie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I don't know why it's so hard for me to do this. I feel like I'm wasting food if I don't eat it all. Where do you suppose that comes from? It's not my upbringing, so I have no idea.

Here's the story...yesterday was my bday and my friends came over to celebrate. They brought a yummy chocolate cake. I couldn't' convince them to take it home with them so there in my fridge it sat. I wish I could tell some tale of incredible willpower, but I took a flying leap off the wagon today and actually ate TWO pieces! There was still almost 1/2 the cake left so I made a startling decision. I threw it away! not just in my trash, but out to the dumpster. I feel great but also guilty.

still, I'll celebrate with a victory dance and try to work off the pieces I inhaled. :laugh:
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Yay you!!! It's o.k. to celebrate - and even eat cake. Good for you for throwing out the extra though!! That certainly helps contain the damage!!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options

YOU GO GIRL!!!

I posted a while ago about throwing entire bags of chocolate chips into the sink and down the disposal when my hubby bought them. He will buy crap and go to work. I use to munch through the house because I was at home! YUCK! I toss anything that tempts me. Ice cream, candy, chips, anything...It goes. Why should I be a slave to this crap. I put on my big girl panties and take the control back from my fridge!

So!!! You have my support. If in doubt, throw it out!
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    vegasmellie-don't feel bad. I do that with left-over sweets all the time! Otherwise the chocolate cake (or ice cream or cheesecake) becomes both lunch and snack and dessert! :laugh:
  • mireyita44
    Options
    YOu made the right thing, is better cake in the garbage than your tummy.:drinker:
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE SO NOT ALONE!!!!
    I have a habit of buying bad stuff at the store because it looks SO GOOD. Once I get home the major guilt kicks in.
    I sometimes will just take it to work. It's usually gone within minutes...I work with PIGS hahah!
    Or I have even, like you did throw it away, down the garbage disposal it goes! There is no getting it back once it goes in there!
    Shot I have even chewed things up and spit it out! Ok that was TOO GROSS! But we have all
    done it! :laugh:
    My co-worker does it all the time and calls herself the lazy bulimic OMG! She's a nut! :tongue:
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    My co-worker does it all the time and calls herself the lazy bulimic OMG! She's a nut! :tongue:

That's too funny. :laugh:

You shouldn't feel guilty at all. I think it's great that you did that. Like someone said in some other post (don't remember which one or who) it should make you feel empowered! Good job!
  • clairegl
    clairegl Posts: 82
    Options
    Better in the garbage than on your *kitten*! Besides, rationalize by thinking that no one benefits nutritionally from chocolate cake. You are saving you from yourself so you're doing the right thing!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    :heart: I do that too!! How empowering is that?

My husband brings home day old DOUGHNUTS!!! for Gods sake, and I sail right by them, because I know in 3 hours, my kids will have demolished them. :heart:
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    Good for you.

We of a certain era were taught at school not to waste food because children were starving in (Fill in blank here with one of the following, China, Africa, India, etc.)
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Good for you.

We of a certain era were taught at school not to waste food because children were starving in (Fill in blank here with one of the following, China, Africa, India, etc.)

Yep, I had that one, too.:grumble:

I had to grow up and realize that me being fat will not save any starving folks anywhere.
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    Good for you.

Yep, I had that one, too.:grumble:

I had to grow up and realize that me being fat will not save any starving folks anywhere.

I was puzzled by that even as a child...how would the food on my plate have any bearing on the food on (or lacking from) the amount of food a child so far away got??? I would have happily shared.:heart:
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Good For You for both enjoying your birthday (happy belated by the way) and getting rid of something that wasn't going to help you.

I don't like throwing food away, it feels wasteful.

Two solutions that I came up with that might also work for you are:

I feed the birds (sometimes the food is fresh when I realize I only wanted a taste and not the entire box of cereal for example). I feel less wasteful by sharing what I have and we get to see some pretty birds. I should say that I also put out bird seed so they're not on a Captain Crunch and cookies diet. :tongue:

Another solution that I came up with is to bring left-overs to work to share.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!