I keep gaining, but losing

Options
I'm trying to bulk, and I'll be successful and gain a pound or two, but then it all somehow disappears the next time I weigh myself. I'm currently 144 lbs, 19 year old male. Can someone please look at my diary and tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'll stay up till like 6am eating just to hit my macros, but I never seem to growwww!

For example, 4 days ago, I was 146.2 lbs, but I just weighed myself (on an empty stomach maybe that's why?), and I'm only 144 lbs now! It takes me so long to gain 2 lbs, so I'm extremely disappointed.

Replies

• steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating over 3000 cals daily?

Don't weight yourself too often, it will mess with your head.

Are you overestimating your intake? Are you weighing your food, or just guesstimating?

what and how much exercise are you doing? Rest days?

When I started my bulk at the beginning of the year, the first 3 weeks I was losing weight, and kept upping my intake slowly week after week until I saw significant changes.
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    If you look at my diary, I changed my macro intake on May 20 to consume around 3200 calories. I now try to consume 240 grams of protein a day (but fail most of the time as this is just so intense for me).

I weigh my food always. Been pretty obsessive about this actually, like when we go out to eat, I ask my mom how much she thinks this side of veggies weighs (for example).

I haven't been doing that much weight lifting lately, because I've been working a lot on strengthening my core and glutes so that I can perform more compound exercises correctly. I just finished 3 sessions with a personal trainer and I learned a bunch of good exercises for the core and glutes, the problem is, these exercises are mostly with just your body weight. So I'm trying to implement them into a workout with heavy weights. Sort of all over the place right now. Learned so many exercises, but I don't know how to use them and gain muscle at the same time.

I go to the gym 3x a week, and I also play hockey 1-3 times a week so sometimes I'll only have 1 rest day. I really need to plan my day better and bring protein bars with me everywhere and just "healthy" snacks, because I do stuff during the day, and never eat until late at night when I'm home and can sit on the sofa and watch netflix. And then I'll cook like 100000 chicken breasts and eat like 10000 cups of fruits until it's like 6 am and then I go to sleep and wake up at 6 pm and my days gone and I hate it.

I hate getting home at the end of the day, wanting to go to sleep, but then looking at my diary and seeing that I still have 150 grams of protein to eat. It sucks. I hate it. But I don't know what to dooooo! The deadly cycle just keeps repeating itself and my mom is super worried because I stay up so late eating and I wake up so late, and I hate it and I hate it but I want to gain sooooo badly, I just like... can't... :(
  • steve0820
    Options
    If you look at my diary, I changed my macro intake on May 20 to consume around 3200 calories. I now try to consume 240 grams of protein a day (but fail most of the time as this is just so intense for me).

I weigh my food always. Been pretty obsessive about this actually, like when we go out to eat, I ask my mom how much she thinks this side of veggies weighs (for example).

I haven't been doing that much weight lifting lately, because I've been working a lot on strengthening my core and glutes so that I can perform more compound exercises correctly. I just finished 3 sessions with a personal trainer and I learned a bunch of good exercises for the core and glutes, the problem is, these exercises are mostly with just your body weight. So I'm trying to implement them into a workout with heavy weights. Sort of all over the place right now. Learned so many exercises, but I don't know how to use them and gain muscle at the same time.

I go to the gym 3x a week, and I also play hockey 1-3 times a week so sometimes I'll only have 1 rest day. I really need to plan my day better and bring protein bars with me everywhere and just "healthy" snacks, because I do stuff during the day, and never eat until late at night when I'm home and can sit on the sofa and watch netflix. And then I'll cook like 100000 chicken breasts and eat like 10000 cups of fruits until it's like 6 am and then I go to sleep and wake up at 6 pm and my days gone and I hate it.

I hate getting home at the end of the day, wanting to go to sleep, but then looking at my diary and seeing that I still have 150 grams of protein to eat. It sucks. I hate it. But I don't know what to dooooo! The deadly cycle just keeps repeating itself and my mom is super worried because I stay up so late eating and I wake up so late, and I hate it and I hate it but I want to gain sooooo badly, I just like... can't... :(

The protein intake is pretty high IMO, I would lower that percentage a bit and up your carbs. Are you eating any pasta, bread? quick carbs. Veggies are good for you, but don't pack much calories, So I wouldn't focus much on those, keep them in tho.

what about protein shakes? You can get mass gainers that pack over 500 cals a drink. 2 a day and you're over 1k already.

It sounds like your pretty active, which you need to take into account. Hockey can burn a lot of calories, there is a reason why hockey players carb up on game day.

Eat ice cream, I was eating about 1-2 tubs a week

You can always add you're core and glute exercises at the end of your workout as accessory. If you want to progress with them, like anything else, increase the resistance of the exercise.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    trying to get your calories up with fruit and veg is never going to work... yes make sure you eat some for the vitamins and minerals, but look to your fat and starchy carbs for calories... or doughnuts and ice cream!
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    Ok guys, I'll eat more ice cream and bread and pasta and rice lol (just more carbs in general). Also, I'm starting to drink lots of milk again as a way to "cheat".

Right now, I'm doing 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat. My trainer told me to do this (and also a female body builder who messaged me on MFP).

So this is like 3237 calories, 240 protein, 321 carbs, and 105 fat a day based on Scooby's calculator. And this is what I've been trying to do for the past month or so. Super hard though. I hardly ever have a successful day where I can actually intake all this.

However, the female body builder did mention that based on how my body was responding, I should increase the carbs if necessary, which is what you guys are telling me to do right now. Well, Steve told me to lower my protein and increase my carbs, not just increase carbs, which makes more sense because seeing as I'm already failing, it would be crazy to keep the protein at 240.

But what do you guys think I should increase the daily carb intake to? 350? 375? 400?

And what should I decrease the protein intake to? 200? 180?

Pretty much what I'm asking is what should my new percentages be?

45% carbs, 25% protein, 30% fat?

45% carbs, 30% protein, 25% fat?

I also want to try Scott Herman's calculator, because it takes into account body fat, so it's probably more accurate? The link is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZjxWqwoWTg

I need to get a body fat caliper first though. Just found this article on how to measure your body fat and muscle growth using a caliper:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/how-to-measure-bodyfat-using-calipers.html
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    45% carbs, 30% protein, 25% fat

But you say your trying to bulk.. Bulking is eating at a surplus to add muscle.. Your not working out enough, incorporate Dead lifts, bench press and squats in your routine asap. If you want to strengthen your core they are a must.
  • jcranston13
    Options
    You might want to try GOMAD if it is easier for you to drink your calories. GOMAD = Gallon of Milk A Day.

IMO like Ashes said try 45/30/25 or 45/25/30. I personally like to go a little higher on dietary fat. You need to get in the consistent progressive weight training as well. Hockey is good cardio but I would imagine you are burning a pretty good chunk of calories there. If you really want to bulk up, you are going to have to get serious about bringing food with you so that you can eat during the day.
  • steve0820
    Options
    Ok guys, I'll eat more ice cream and bread and pasta and rice lol (just more carbs in general). Also, I'm starting to drink lots of milk again as a way to "cheat".

Right now, I'm doing 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat. My trainer told me to do this (and also a female body builder who messaged me on MFP).

So this is like 3237 calories, 240 protein, 321 carbs, and 105 fat a day based on Scooby's calculator. And this is what I've been trying to do for the past month or so. Super hard though. I hardly ever have a successful day where I can actually intake all this.

However, the female body builder did mention that based on how my body was responding, I should increase the carbs if necessary, which is what you guys are telling me to do right now. Well, Steve told me to lower my protein and increase my carbs, not just increase carbs, which makes more sense because seeing as I'm already failing, it would be crazy to keep the protein at 240.

But what do you guys think I should increase the daily carb intake to? 350? 375? 400?

And what should I decrease the protein intake to? 200? 180?

Pretty much what I'm asking is what should my new percentages be?

45% carbs, 25% protein, 30% fat?

45% carbs, 30% protein, 25% fat?

I also want to try Scott Herman's calculator, because it takes into account body fat, so it's probably more accurate? The link is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZjxWqwoWTg

I need to get a body fat caliper first though. Just found this article on how to measure your body fat and muscle growth using a caliper:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/how-to-measure-bodyfat-using-calipers.html

I'd go with 45% carb, 30% protein & 25% fat as well. The amount of protein you have now doesn't hurt you, but isn't benefiting you either. By adjusting your macros, the amount of protein you'll need will lower.

Carbs are equally as important to adding size and muscle. Which is why I suggest high calorie foods like pasta, bread, milk. Plus, they are a good source of energy. I big bowl of paste, couple slices of bread and a big glass of milk, can easily get you over 1000 cals.

If you're already drinking more milk, that's great, keep it up! Don't forget the ice cream.
    45% carbs, 30% protein, 25% fat

But you say your trying to bulk.. Bulking is eating at a surplus to add muscle.. Your not working out enough, incorporate Dead lifts, bench press and squats in your routine asap. If you want to strengthen your core they are a must.

I agree. Gotta lift big, eat big, to get big. No way around it. And as far as core strength, it doesn't get much better then Squats and deads.
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    But you can't deadlift or squat with weak glutes or core, right?

Otherwise, why would all my trainers teach me a bunch of accessory work for my core and glutes?
  • jcranston13
    Options
    You can squat or deadlift with weak core and glutes, you will just have to start with lower weights than someone with a stronger core/glutes. Nothing wrong with working on weak areas though either.

I won't get involved in why trainers do what trainers do.
  • steve0820
    Options

Otherwise, why would all my trainers teach me a bunch of accessory work for my core and glutes?

The accessory work is done to work on a weakness so you can improve the lifts in question, not to replace it. You would do them after your lifts, or off days, depends on your programming.

So if your weak points are core and glutes, squats and deadlifts are the first thing you want to do.
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options

The accessory work is done to work on a weakness so you can improve the lifts in question, not to replace it. You would do them after your lifts, or off days, depends on your programming.

So if your weak points are core and glutes, squats and deadlifts are the first thing you want to do.

+1
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    trying to get your calories up with fruit and veg is never going to work... yes make sure you eat some for the vitamins and minerals, but look to your fat and starchy carbs for calories... or doughnuts and ice cream!

this.

I was bulking on 3000- and I'm a girl whose signifncantly older than you- there is no way you can be bulking well on 3K.

EAT MOAR.

I would normally say pizza and beer- but I can't recommend alcohol to minors- so ice cream- doughnuts- cheese cake in your smoothies- whatever it takes to up the calories- you gotta do it. Milk isn't cheating. There is no such thing as "cheating" when you're bulking- the job is to get calories- hitting the macros on average is nice- but you just need calories.

steve knows

clearly... because EVERYONE knows the answers to ALL of life's questions are "more skwatz"
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    This was me deadlifting in April. Hadn't done much core or glute work then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu0imZZ963k
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    You can squat or deadlift with weak core and glutes, you will just have to start with lower weights than someone with a stronger core/glutes. Nothing wrong with working on weak areas though either.

I agree, but you can only go so far with weak glutes and core. For example, in January, I tried doing StrongLifts. I got my squat to one plate, but what I realized was, because the weight was so heavy for me, I was actually using my lower back to lift the weight up. I talked to my trainer about this, and he said that my lower back was compensating for my weak glutes and core.

Therefore, yes, you have to start with lower weights, but just doing StrongLifts alone didn't build up my core and glutes enough for me to handle the heavier weights.

Also, the reason why I might've been squatting using my back (other than having weak glutes and core), was probably because back then, I didn't know how to engage my core. Now I do. You suck your belly in. Also, taking a deep breath at the top before you descend helps.
  • steve0820
    Options

I agree, but you can only go so far with weak glutes and core. For example, in January, I tried doing StrongLifts. I got my squat to one plate, but what I realized was, because the weight was so heavy for me, I was actually using my lower back to lift the weight up. I talked to my trainer about this, and he said that my lower back was compensating for my weak glutes and core.

Therefore, yes, you have to start with lower weights, but just doing StrongLifts alone didn't build up my core and glutes enough for me to handle the heavier weights.

Also, the reason why I might've been squatting using my back (other than having weak glutes and core), was probably because back then, I didn't know how to engage my core. Now I do. You suck your belly in. Also, taking a deep breath at the top before you descend helps.

Unless you were about to injure yourself, it's perfectly fine for the weight to feel heavy, it's suppose to do that. If there's issues or you fail, that's when you de-load, and work on form. Don't completely dump the exercise. Failing is part of the process. How you deal with failure, will determine how well you'll progress.

That's like being a swimmer and having a crappy stroke. You don't stop swimming, to go do shoulder exercises. You Jump in the pool and swim!!

De-load, work on your form, and do accessory work for your weaknesses.
  • eminentclapper
    eminentclapper Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I seems like you're simply not eating enough and especially enough carbs. With all the training you do, I suggest 50% carbs, 20% protein and 30% fat, and upping your daily calorie intake to about 4000-4500.
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    I seems like you're simply not eating enough and especially enough carbs. With all the training you do, I suggest 50% carbs, 20% protein and 30% fat, and upping your daily calorie intake to about 4000-4500.

I'm really confused now about the percentages. I have people telling me to do:

45% carbs, 25% fat, and 30% protein
    45% carbs, 30% fat, and 25% protein

And now you're telling me to do:

50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein

Who do I listen to? Ahhhh!
  • darreneatschicken
    Options

Unless you were about to injure yourself, it's perfectly fine for the weight to feel heavy, it's suppose to do that. If there's issues or you fail, that's when you de-load, and work on form. Don't completely dump the exercise. Failing is part of the process. How you deal with failure, will determine how well you'll progress.

That's like being a swimmer and having a crappy stroke. You don't stop swimming, to go do shoulder exercises. You Jump in the pool and swim!!

De-load, work on your form, and do accessory work for your weaknesses.

Okay Steve, I'm not going to completely dump squats and deadlifts, but, my trainer taught me this exercise called the angled bar squat, and what it is, is you put the barbell against like a corner, and you hold it out in front of you with two hands and you simply squat. I really like this exercise because it's like a squat and DL in one. The squatting motion makes it like a squat, but the fact that you have to pinch your shoulders back and down to keep your back straight, makes it like a DL. Also, you have to squeeze your glutes at the top, just like at the top of a DL.

I'm telling you about this exercise because I feel like it kills many birds with one stone. For some reason,I find it a lot easier to pinch your shoulders back and down to keep your back straight than an actual DL, and so I feel like it would be a good replacement exercise for the squat and DL for the meantime.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    squats and deadlifts are one of the best ways to strengthen a weak core. Unless a physio or sports medicine doctor has told you not to do them, I would go to those lifts first to develop core strength. Squats especially. Yes you need core strength to do them... that's why doing them builds core strength. Just be sure that you're using a light enough weight that you can maintain good form throughout the lift, yet heavy enough that it's giving your muscles enough stimulus to grow.

Have you tried stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength? Or a similar kind of beginner's programme? They are a really good way for a beginner to gain strength (and weight if combined with eating at a calorie surplus). You're a young man, so your potential to gain mass with these programmes is greater than for women or older men and you can benefit from a larger surplus than them too (hence GOMAD or similar) and gain that much more muscle. Even if you gain fat in the process, you can cut to remove it, and have that much larger muscles being revealed when you cut.