Advice on Protein powder/shakes etc?

Options
Hello everyone!

I am new to MFP, though my weight loss journey began two years ago. I recently decided to become more aggressive on my strength training (scaling back on cardio a bit, time for a change). So I've done some reading and understand that protein is very important for muscle building, but I'm pretty clueless on the whole thing, and eating egg whites just is never gonna happen :) So if anyone has any advice for a newbie on protein/strength training/muscle building that they would like to impart, that would be great. I'd love to hear any advice on the subject in general, but advice on protein shakes or powders or visiting GNC for the first time would be very helpful! Also how much to have per day/when to drink them etc.

thanks so much!

Replies

• Dozer561
    Dozer561 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    avoid GNC and GNC brand powders unless you have money to burn for no reason., see if you have a vitaminshoppe near you, my vote will always go to (ON) Optimum Nutrition double chocolate whey, or order from amazon, prices always seem to be the same. it will always be the only one i use. i mix mine with cold water and its great, and with milk its ridiculously good.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I think that the things you should look for in a protein power are:
    - Mixability; you don't want to be drinking lumps
    - Taste; you'll most likely want a nice taste
    - Contents; whats in it? I know some whey's contain a truck load of sweetner and other proteins like egg whites etc.

I'd recommend Optimum Nutritions 100% Whey in 'double chocolate'. It mixes really well in a shaker bottle, same in a blender too. It has the same taste as one of those Nesquik instant milkshakes so it does kill cravings. This is 100% whey - nothing else like egg protein or anything.

I don't really think that it matters how many times you consume whey a day, I'm sure one scoop with a mix of fruit to make a smoothie would be good once a day.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold is always a very safe bet. But can be pricey, what country are you in? if in UK I'd recommend trying myprotein.co.uk, their Whey powder is very good and very cheap. Maximuscle is pretty reliable brand too.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I love my Swanson's vanilla whey protein. It was also one of the least expensive on Amazon, too.
    I would like to find some lactose free that doesn't taste bad or cost an arm and a leg for my husband.
  • abcreed
    abcreed Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm on the Optimum Nutrition bandwagon --- I mix mine w/skim milk, but I've used water before, too.

We've tried the cookies & cream, double chocolate, chocolate peanut butter and the cake batter flavors -- all were very tasty.

I drink mine as part of my breakfast; My husband drinks one after his morning & afternoon workouts.

Edit: also -- GNC is good to put their 5lb containers on sale B1G1 50% off, or as someone else said above, amazon is usually pretty reasonably priced as well. :)
  • Staniel_2013
    Staniel_2013 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Another ON fan here.

I've tried a few different brands and so far I've had multiple flavors through them and haven't been disappointed. Some of the others that can be cheaper are just really hard to choke down because they taste so awful.

I buy mine through Bodybuilding.com as they usually have deals so you get bonus items when you order stuff and there is a 10% coupon that flies around every so often you can find online. Also I usually spend over $100 when I order with them so I get a free gift (some of them come in handy) and I paid $7 for overnight shipping about a month ago.