Weight loss question

Options
Im 24 years old, 5 11, used to play many sports for my university and i broke my knee, now i weight 250lb and very sedentary life. I currently stared doing a diet.. Basically Breakfast/Dineer i drink a protein shake like a Kellogs 180 calories shake, i also bought their bars and i eat 3 of them per day, 1 around 10am, 2nd around 2pm, and 3rd around 4pm, a shake in the morning around 8am, and one at night around 7-8pm.. Also i eat lunch, try to make it heathy or i just eat one of those smart ones 300 calories meals.. So it looks like this:

i.imgur.com/x6O6do1.jpg

So far i been getting headaches and my energy level is not that good... Do you guys recommend i take some vitamins? or do something different? I want to loose around 70lb, and will start exercising if i can get my energy lvl up

Replies

• ericzanetti
    ericzanetti Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Without even knowing the calorie content of the bars I would say that you're drastically under eating.

Eating sub BMR (Base Metabolic Rate) will cause you to have less energy. Your body needs a certain amount of calories per day to maintain the function of things like your heart, brain etc.

Figure out what your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is and eat 400 to 500 calories under that and you'll lose weight.

Drastic diets are not maintainable and are extremely unhealthy.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Without even knowing the calorie content of the bars I would say that you're drastically under eating.

Eating sub BMR (Base Metabolic Rate) will cause you to have less energy. Your body needs a certain amount of calories per day to maintain the function of things like your heart, brain etc.

Figure out what your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is and eat 400 to 500 calories under that and you'll lose weight.

Drastic diets are not maintainable and are extremely unhealthy.

solid advice, if you need guidance these threads are very informative:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

Also, I am not against artificial sweetner, but I have noticed in my own life if I am consuming a whole lot of them they will make me feel strange, and I would guess you are with your current plan. You would be better served to learn to eat normal food in portions appropriate for your body. Then you will know how to maintain your weight when you do reach your goal.
    If you need a friend or have any questions feel free to add/message me.

~Best wishes
  • cantfail
    cantfail Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Do you see where it tells you how many calories you have "Remaining"? You are starving yourself which is not healthy AND most of your calories are coming from sugar, also not healthy. Eat real food and try to get much closer to the MFP recommended calorie intake. I assume you set it up to loose weight, so you should be able to loose at a healthy rate at your 1600 calorie allotment
  • miguelv06
    miguelv06 Posts: 17
    Options

they are listed on this picture: i.imgur.com/x6O6do1.jpg
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Eat more, simple as.
  • miguelv06
    Options

This? http://i.imgur.com/0yWvt3K.jpg
  • miguelv06
    Options
    Shold i still replace a meal with a shake? and replace some of the bars with a fruit? and then just have healthy lunch and denier?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't like replacing meals with shakes or bars - better to learn to eat regular foods in proper portions to get daily calories and nutrients. Building the healthy habits rather than doing temporary meal replacements is much more likely to last, so that you lose the fat and keep it off.

As for your daily goal - I'm a 46 year old chick and I lose on 1800-2000 calories a day - you seriously need to be eating more. Food is fuel, and you're not getting nearly enough.

You don't want to over eat, but you don't want to under eat either. Enter your info & goals accurately and realistically into MFP, and then aim to hit your daily goal. Remember that goal means GOAL - something you're trying to achieve, not fall well short of. :smile: That daily goal has you at a deficit - meaning you can eat all those cals every day, do zero exercise, and you'll lose weight. If you exercise, log it and eat back at least a portion of those cals, bringing your net cals up to, or very close to, goal, which keeps you at that original deficit. Not eating them back and creating a much larger deficit may seem like a good idea, but it's really not, and like I said -eating them back still keeps you in a deficit and you still lose.

Don't sell yourself short by eating too little! Fuel that body - eat your calories, drink water, exercise, take rest days, get good sleep. Good luck!
  • ericzanetti
    ericzanetti Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Shold i still replace a meal with a shake? and replace some of the bars with a fruit? and then just have healthy lunch and denier?

I used this calculator to determine my TDEE and had success losing weight. (205 lbs. down to 189 lbs)

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Select no exercise (deskjob/couch potato) for your exercise level and eat 400 calories less than your TDEE. If you exercise, eat most of your exercise calories back.

As for meal replacement shakes, do whatever works for you as long as your taking in the right amount of calories. Also, macro nutrients ratios should be considered (protein, fat, carbs). Try to eat a more protein than anything else, this will help to curb your appetite and preserve existing muscle while cutting body fat.

A high protein diet looks like this:
    60% protein
    30% carbs
    20% fat

When I first started exercising and eating healthy, I was under eating just like you. I was 28, 6'1", 205 lbs and only 1600 calories. I felt terrible, no energy and could barely complete 30 mins of exercise. I bumped up my calorie intake to the proper level (but still at a deficit) and the lbs. started to come off and my energy level went way up.

Trust the science, stick with it and give it some time. You'll see results.

Good Luck