Morning Pre-Workout Snack

Options
I'm a roll-out-of-bed-and-hit-the-gym guy. I've been struggling for years with finding something to eat before working out - while there are benefits to working out on an empty stomach, the reality is that I am putting a ceiling on my ability to effectively go hard. i definitely notice a difference when I workout midday on some weekends.

I've tried grapefruit juice - meh. I've tried protein drinks - cool, but generally more calories than I'm looking for.

Just looking to see what others are doing - it may just be that it's incompatible with my current weight cut goal.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Boiled egg and a banana (or strawberries.) I don't usually eat before a morning workout but when I have a morning 5k that conflicts with my usual breakfast time, that's what I eat.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I have a Quest bar right before my early morning lifting sessions. It's yummy and keeps me from getting nauseous during my workout.
  • kristy3119
    kristy3119 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. My favorite is NOW Manuka honey newtons; if I have them in the house I'll typically eat half of one. Not so much that I get a bellyache but enough to keep me from feeling hungry or queasy mid-workout. Otherwise a banana, sometimes with peanut butter.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I'm doing. if I am do super early morning cardio then I do it fasted (it's walking for 45 minutes NBD). If I am doing bootcamp then usually I have either a banana or PB on toast. If I am doubling up, like bootcamp then kickboxing I will have something in between.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Double espresso.
  • RunDomRun24
    RunDomRun24 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My morning work-outs are usually runs.
    short run: a banana or a handful of dry cereal (cheerios) and raisins. go easy on the raisins.
    medium run: maybe a PB/banana/honey sandwich
    For super long and early runs, I have been known to sent the alarm at 4:00am, have a full breakfast (cereal with milk, yogurt, berries and nuts), and go back to bed for one hour.
  • gardnerkennedy
    gardnerkennedy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    A banana and a cup of strong coffee.
  • jonlfischer
    jonlfischer Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i usually eat a peanut butter sandwich on wheat and a protein shake 60 mins before i hit the gym
  • TheMannon
    TheMannon Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do cardio and lift in the mornings

Quickness is key for me - definitely not cooking anything, and I can't drink coffee hot.

I have gone the banana route before - might not be able to improve upon that