Starting over!

Options
In 2012 I lost about 60 lbs using MFP. But ive gained about 40 lbs back. I'm ready to start over again. But I've been having trouble with eating less again. I got so used to just eating whatever whenever I felt like it. So if anyone has any tips to keep on track? That would be greatly appreciated. And it wod be great to have some friends to help support me and I would support them along the way. I've got about 100 lbs to lose. And it's going to be a long journey but I am determined to succeed this time around!

Replies

• Michellekutz1
    Options
    Today is my first day back. I have yoyo'd and after a family vacation with pictures and just sick of how I look and feel. Time to get back on track, I'm here for you and we can do it!
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    Hi welcome back, like you I had lost 60 and regained 30 over a period of 2 years. I have relost 21 pounds and still have 13 to lose.

It was difficult to get back in the routine but as soon as I lost 5 pounds I got my drive back. I have a lot or regrets about the weight gain because I had worked so hard to achieve my goal, but I feel that I have understood why I regained and how I can prevent it.

At the time I was doing exercise quite agressively and it got me totally unmotivated at the end, it bored me to death. Now I have a different approach to exercise, machines I dont like. I found a gym that offers me more choices without machines, I do zumba for the cardio and also baladi I love dancing so I get more out of the exercise. For toning instead of machine I do pilates, yoga, barre ballet and body toning with weights. Each day I have a different type of exercises and I love going.

For the food well althought I enjoyed what I was eating while gaining the weight I realise that I cannot eat that way and finding alternatives.

Good luck you will make it.
  • AtmaKing
    AtmaKing Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Find a bigger WHY!
    People who yo-yo, are people who are normally successful but don't know why. They lose 60, gain 40, lose 45, gain 50, lose 50 - gain 30. and are never really happy. They have all the tools and knowledge in front of them to lose the weight. They get the motivation to lose it and they do. However their why is never big enough to stay there so they relapse until they they have "had enough" again, then lose it and forget again and again. Insanity is the process of doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Dont go insane, make a shift by changing your why.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    AtmaKing, you're absolutely right. All these years I've never really thought about it in those terms. That is helpful. OP, I can totally relate. Here I am again at age 44 trying to do this once and for all. If you can conquer it while you're young, all the better. Over the years I kept losing and regaining, relosing and regaining until I got to 372 pounds. It has to mean enough to you to commit, that's it. For me, getting older and being fearful for my health has been a big motivator. I NEED to get this done.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    If you want to stop starting over - quit giving up. Every one of us on MFP have had bad minutes, days, weeks - but the key to being successful in losing weight, is understanding that stuff happens and you have to keep going.

I've been doing this for over 2 years - but I have 100 pounds lost in my win column. Have I had bad days? Yes. Have I royally screwed up? Yes. But I didn't stop. That's the key.

Focus on your health. Build some strong habits around exercise. Work through your problems with why you overeat. Do the work - reap the benefits.

Read these links:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-path-of-success-631437
  • ambebeau
    ambebeau Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I made the decision last night to start over again as well.

About 2 years ago I lost about 35lbs using MFP, and have put about 20 of that back on.

I am getting married in 86 days (eeeeekkk!!!) and I am unhappy with how I feel and look currently. I know that I will not get to my goal weight by the wedding day, but I most certainly can get to a place where I feel better on a daily basis.

Anyone who can help motivate and keep me on track would be greatly appreciated! With all the wedding stress, and misc other things happening right now I have been struggling but I have to start somewhere!
  • tfrancois1
    Options
    Thanks everyone; your posts are helping me to get it together. I am starting over as well. I too am tired of the way I feel and look. Yet, I keep giving up on myself. I like the post regarding my "why". My "WHY" has to be bigger. Thank you for your encouragement.
    God Bless
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Hiya, my first day back today too:smile:

And in my usual fashion I have forgotten to get weighed.

I am determined to get as much weight off as possible in the next 100 days.

With that in mind I will be doing my level best to stay active and to eat healthily.

Please feel free to add me, I need friends to keep me on the straight and narrow :wink:
  • ditzyFlip
    ditzyFlip Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Find a bigger WHY!
    People who yo-yo, are people who are normally successful but don't know why. They lose 60, gain 40, lose 45, gain 50, lose 50 - gain 30. and are never really happy. They have all the tools and knowledge in front of them to lose the weight. They get the motivation to lose it and they do. However their why is never big enough to stay there so they relapse until they they have "had enough" again, then lose it and forget again and again. Insanity is the process of doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Dont go insane, make a shift by changing your why.
    Preach it!
  • sonybalony
    sonybalony Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds the last go around, then got a new job, lost my focus, and thought for some reason that I was 22 again (the average age of my co-workers) and could eat ANYTHING I wanted... I lied to myself, telling myself that "As soon as I settled in, I'd get back to the gym", "Once the novelty wore off, I'd stop going out to eat for lunch everyday", among so many other excuses and "valid reasons" for my slow slide into morbid obesity. My doctor and I had a conversation not that long ago, about obesity, pre-diabetes and PCOS. I nodded a lot, then proceeded to ignore all his advice. A few weeks ago, my mom called with the news that she is now diagnosed as a diabetic. I started over on Wednesday... I have been thinking about it for weeks, and Wednesday afternoon I made the decision... In the past, I would have said, "I'll start Monday" and then have lost that initial drive that gets me over the first 2 weeks... But Wednesday afternoon, I chose my food and fitness goals, I logged what I'd eaten for the day, put on my gym clothes and got on the treadmill... No excuse, just did it. Yesterday I got home late and by the time all the neccessities were done, it was almost 11pm... I ALMOST went to bed... Then I realized I had promised myself that I would do at least 30 minutes of cardio a day... I wouldn't break a promise to a friend or my child, so why should I break one to me? Today I had to be prepared because I know from past experience that several days into the journey I get HUNGRY!!! So I added a bag of frozen steamer green beans to my lunch box and ate those with my meal, 60 additional calories and I feel satisfied. Not grazing the cookies and donuts that inveratibly end up at our office, not running to the vending machine to look for a "healthy" snack and coming back with a bag full of doritos that just leave me wanting "just a little bit of something", not saying heck with it and going out to eat with my buddies. My body is 43, My body is pre-diabetic, My body is obese... <b>I</b> am making the choice to change my body. (Apparently it has been so long since I was on here, that HTML is no longer enabled! lol)