Stravation Mode

Options
I see this topic on here constantly. I eat when I am hungry and the right/healthy foods. I always seem to be way under my needed calorie intake. Wouldn't my body let me know when I am hungry and when it is going into starvation mode??? I eat 6X's a Day, a few hrs apart. I workout daily and burn on average 1000 cal per workout (That's right). I eat about 1100-1200 cal a day...If I do eat more I feel so full...like I will get sick. Do I just eat anyway? I also drink 12 glasses of water a day. I am just confused by this.

Replies

• reese1206
    reese1206 Posts: 229
    Options
    Starvation...OOPS
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    More than likely your body is used to sustaining on a very low calorie intake, which is why you don't feel hungry. I'm not going to try to offer advice, because I strongly feel that the whole "starvation mode" is something that needs to be talked to with an MD but I would really take some time to dig deeper into this.
  • schwarzaj
    schwarzaj Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    the 1200 calorie thing is not a one size fits all rule, personally, i think its BS, the minimum will be different for everyone, so eating when you are hungry is perfectly logical, you seem to be doing very well

if you are really concerned then go to a doctor
  • reese1206
    Options
    I'm not super concerned...I was just curious. Before I started Dec8th....I was consuming WELL over 2000 a day without exercise but now even after working out and eating 1100 cal I am not hungry...AT ALL!
  • reese1206
    Options
    Dig deeper how?
    More than likely your body is used to sustaining on a very low calorie intake, which is why you don't feel hungry. I'm not going to try to offer advice, because I strongly feel that the whole "starvation mode" is something that needs to be talked to with an MD but I would really take some time to dig deeper into this.
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    listen to your body
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body (which it seems like you're doing) that's the best way. If you feel hungry, by all means, eat. If you don't feel hungry, why overindulge right? This is what I do. It seems to work well for me. your body will let you know.
  • everet36
    Options
    I see this topic on here constantly. I eat when I am hungry and the right/healthy foods. I always seem to be way under my needed calorie intake. Wouldn't my body let me know when I am hungry and when it is going into starvation mode??? I eat 6X's a Day, a few hrs apart. I workout daily and burn on average 1000 cal per workout (That's right). I eat about 1100-1200 cal a day...If I do eat more I feel so full...like I will get sick. Do I just eat anyway? I also drink 12 glasses of water a day. I am just confused by this.
    I've been to a lot of dieticians.....I hope your NET caloric intake is AT LEAST 1200cal/day. If you're burning 1000 cals/work out then you should be eating AT LEAST 2200 cals/day. Also, I'd shoot for 1lb/week weight loss. If you lose weight any quicker most likely you won't keep it off.

I used to be bigger, like 160lbs about 3 years ago. It took me a year to lose 35lbs.....3 years later I've still kept 30lbs off....and that was without working out or eating right. (NOT SAYING YOU SHOULD GO BACK TO UNHEALTHY HABITS AFTER YOU LOSE THE WEIGHT!) If you lose weight too quickly, that means you're not getting enough NET calories (net calories meaning adding to your daily calorie allowance what you've burned in your workout), and you WILL go into starvation mode.....and become a yo yo dieter like most people.

Stop eating when you feel satisfied. Eat a lot of veggies, lean meat, and beef jerky. Drink LOTS of water.

Good luck.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    eating when you are hungry is perfectly logical

if you are really concerned then go to a doctor

Hunger isn't a very good indicator because it easily adapts to different situations.
    If you now start eating 5000 Kcals per day for a while, you'll feel like a stuffed goose until you get used to it. When you then drop to 2000 Kcals per day, you'll feel like starving at first until you adapt. Drop to 1000 Kcals per day and again, the feel of hunger will adapt sooner or later. Especially if you eat 5-6 times a day.

It is logical when you have trained yourself to be content with the amount of food that you need, though..
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If it happens gradually your body doesn't send those hunger signals.

I was in starvation mode when I started here and I didn't even realize it. My trainer figured out how much I ate on an average day and was 400-700 calories. I thought I was eating enough, but obviously I wasn't. It was hard to eat enough food at first, but I just added some in gradually. It took about 2 weeks before I was able to eat 1400 calories plus exercise calories.

I'm having a little trouble eating all my calories now because I started back at the gym after an almost 4 week break. I got so used to eating just my daily calorie goal that eating the extra is a little difficult. But, it's only day 2. I'm sure by the end of the week I'll be hungry for all this food.

If you are significantly under your calorie goal every day and not losing you should definitely eat more. If you need to try eating calorie dense foods like cheese, nuts, avocados, etc. and getting liquid calories from juice, do that. I didn't go that route because I knew my body would adjust and I'd be hungry after a while. But meeting your goal is important, that's why it's your goal. Meeting it really will help you lose weight!
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I am a big believer in listening to your body. If you are hungry all the time, trying to stay under your calories, then you are not eating enough. If you are completely satisfied all day, I wouldn't worry about it. Also, watch for signs of starvation mode like if you are tired all the time or doing all this work but not losing weight or inches. Everybody is different and has different calorie needs.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Dig deeper how?

You need to talk to someone that is training in this field. Everyone on here gives great advice, but there's so many different opinions out there. I would talk to a few people that are highly educated on diet and nutrition and see what they say. MFP is a great resource, but something like this (I believe) should be put into a professional's hands.