Spinning Calories

Options
alska
alska Posts: 297 Member
Hi Everyone, I have a question. I did spinning for 30 mins. The machine said I burned 125 calories (I input my weight) but MyFitnessPal says 496 calories ... so which one is it? :\

Replies

• Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Probably nether. The only way to know for sure it an HRM. Myfitnesspal is notorious for overestimating calories. I would guess the bike would be more accurate since it knows what tempo and distance you did it at.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    ok, thank you :)
  • shadow997
    shadow997 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i see it also with the eliptical trainer i go for 35 min and the trainer has 400 calories + MFP has it at 481, i end up just changing my time to reflect 7caloreis for every 10 min of exercise , i think im still just guessing but think im closer this way
  • redlionny
    redlionny Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that 125 calories burned in 30 minutes of spin is not a lot... and sounds like you are going at a very leisurely pace. I would either pick up the cadence or increase the resistance.. and mix it up... not only does that help with calorie burining.. but helps with boredom too.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that 125 calories burned in 30 minutes of spin is not a lot... and sounds like you are going at a very leisurely pace. I would either pick up the cadence or increase the resistance.. and mix it up... not only does that help with calorie burining.. but helps with boredom too.
    The machines almost never count the calories correctly. It could very well be more than 125 but without a HRM, we don't know for sure. OP wasn't looking to be told what to do, but instead info on how to track cals burned.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    During the winter my hour spin classes with 10 min warm up and cool down were around 500 cal +/-50. The 90 min class were around 750 cal +/-100 and I use a HRM. These are classes that would push your heart rate and rest it both during the class.

**Don’t forget to subtract your RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) calories from your calories burned.