running shoe problem....

Options
mkoff32
mkoff32 Posts: 88 Member
I got into running last year and got fitted at a running store. I ended up with Brooks GTS 12's and they fit like a glove. They were very comfortable and I didn't have any problems. When it came time to get new shoes this year, I decided to stick with the Brooks GTS brand because I knew that my feet liked them. I got the new GTS 14's. I figured they'd be the same type of fit as the 12's. Every time I go out now about a minute or two into my run I get a bad ache along the outside of my right foot. What gives? It has to be the shoe, right?

Replies

• Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    New model=different shoe.

It sucks.
  • mkoff32
    Options
    That's stupid. I thought I was going to be good to go for life with that model of shoe!
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I got into running last year and got fitted at a running store. I ended up with Brooks GTS 12's and they fit like a glove. They were very comfortable and I didn't have any problems. When it came time to get new shoes this year, I decided to stick with the Brooks GTS brand because I knew that my feet liked them. I got the new GTS 14's. I figured they'd be the same type of fit as the 12's. Every time I go out now about a minute or two into my run I get a bad ache along the outside of my right foot. What gives? It has to be the shoe, right?

Ya know, it happens. I have seen, well felt, it befor where the next version of the same shoe doesnt quite feel the same.

WHen looking at an updated version I will read online reviesws from like runners world and such. Many times they have good reviews about the similiarities or differences.

Personally, when I get new shoes, I will wear them to walk and to work for 2 weeks before I attempt to run in them. For me, even the exact same make and model feel odd to me when I first start running. Just takes a little time, for me, for the foam/cushioning to mold to your foot and feel like the old shoes.

As for your pain...try your old ones and see if that pain comes back while running.
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    Yep, they make changes tot he shoes when they update the models. It is stupid, but now you know. Always get fitted when it's time for new shoes.
  • suetorrence
    suetorrence Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    The running store where I purchase my shoes insists on fitting me each time I buy a new pair. I have been told that losing weight and becoming a more experienced runner can change my running shoe fit and style. Will the store where you purchased the shoes fit you for new ones and allow you to exchange the ones that you bought?
  • mkoff32
    Options
    The thing is, I didn't buy them from the running store this time. Since I thought I was good to go with the Brooks, I bought them cheaper online than I would have gotten them in the store. I think I'll switch back to my old ones for a few weeks and see how that goes. They still have some mileage left on them.