Still Growing?

Options
If I'm still growing, what should I eat over the given goal? Cause I keep going over in calcium and vitamin c by like 20-100%. And I keep going over in sugar by like 30g and sodium by like 800mg.

Replies

• dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I am kinda confused by your post. Are you trying to gain weight or lose? It sounds like you are trying to gain but yet your profile shows a goal od losing .6lbs. Is that correct? or did you just throw a number in there to set it up fast?
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming since you're 18 years old you mean taking into account that you are still growing in height, what should you be eating?
    Honestly, the best way to get into this is to get a body composition test done.
    A good rule of thumb for now I would say is to eat when you're hungry.
    Don't worry about going over in Calcium and Vitamin C so long as it's coming from good sources like milk, cheese, fruit, etc.
    If you're going over in sugar from ice cream and candy, cut it out. If you're over from fruit, don't worry so much.

Not to call you out if you're not, but after looking at your profile it looks like this is a bogus post. I hope not, but if it is shame on you. And btw 0.6 lbs is not a weight-loss goal (ticker). Again, I really hope if you're for real that you'll invest in this site and what it has to offer. If not, best of luck to ya anyway.
  • EricsName
    Options
    Well I'm in shape. I'm running high school cross country and I just wanna get better. I'm trying to maintain my weight by building muscle and burning fat.
  • ZacFields
    ZacFields Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    There's generally not any harm in going over on your vitamins. I pretty regularly get 500% of my daily vitamin C intake. What your body can't absorb will just come out the other end.

Sodium and Sugar are tricky for me as well, but they have less to do with weight loss and more to do with your overall health. High sodium intake will cause your weight to be artificially higher than it needs to be (due to your body retaining more water) and has a harmful impact on your blood pressure.
  • EricsName
    Options
    To be honest, I'm 15. I joined this cause I got the app and just wanted to sign up and track my calories, not setting a strict gain or lose goal. So I just said I was 18 and didn't see a reason why that would be a problem other than the 'still growing' factor.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Well I'm in shape. I'm running high school cross country and I just wanna get better. I'm trying to maintain my weight by building muscle and burning fat.
    Ah, see now that makes sense. lol.
    Best to provide this info up front otherwise we all go... :noway:
    Clean eating. No junk. Drink tons of water. Put your weight loss goals at "maintain" and MFP will do some of the work for you.
    Although it's going to be off unless you get a body comp test done and can figure out exactly what you need to maintain.
  • ZacFields
    ZacFields Posts: 62 Member
    Options

If you're running cross country, you shouldn't really worry about calories at all but rather getting at least 100% of all your daily vitamins and eating healthy. You want to have a lot of protein in your diet. All the exercise you're getting in cross country should more than compensate for any reasonable amount of calories you intake.

Eat your fruits and veggies religiously. Find a website that gives you a list of foods high in protein because you'll want to be taking in a lot of protein especially when you're training.

Man I wish I was in high school playing sports again. :)