Better physical health = better mental health?!

Options
Hello Everyone,
Ive just recently discovered MFP and joined, though i began my health and fitness lifestyle change about two years ago. I've lost about 40 pounds and inches galore, but the most noticeable difference for me has been the increase in energy, self - confidence, and the ability to just enjoy life ore fully. Before beginning this journey I struggled with terrible depression. Not just about my weight but in life in general. Ever since I changed my eating and fitness habits I cannot believe it but the depression is gone. My mind has simply stopped going and staying in those dark places. Just wanted to share this with anyone else ot there who might struggle with similar issues and is maybe looking for one more reason for getting healthier! Was wondering if others on here have noticed increased mental health as well?

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    yes more self love and confidence
  • htg20
    htg20 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    What exercise(s) do you do? I struggle with emotional issues and so far have had some success with diet and vitamins but I need to add in more exercise for sure.
  • kerinb612
    kerinb612 Posts: 10
    Options
    hi htg20,
    Exercise is great, probably because of the endorphins! When I first started exercising I followed the couch to 5k plan for cardio, though it took me about twice as long to get there as the 8 weeks the plan suggests :). For the first time in my life I discovered the joy that running brings. I was also doing strength training 3 days a week. I focused on squats, lunges, shoulder press, abductor and adductor.

I focused on running for a while but recently that began to bore me. So now I do workout videos on my boyfriends' xbox for cardio 3-4 times a week. I like the insanity -pure cardio, and billy banks dance party, and the jillian michaels videos. And I just started a new workout routine for strength training which is 4 days a week. I found this routine on the following website and am REALLY loving it so far! :)

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

I think the most important thing is to try a bunch of different types of cardio and strength training until you find the ones that aren't easy to do, but which you enjoy doing. the more you like it, the easier it is to get excited about rather than dreading :)
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    My mental health and confidence is markedly better since exercising again. I use to be so depressed after getting dressed for work, especially on Mondays, and not fitting into my clothes and how they looked on me. My XXL shirts were beginning to be tight around my midsection. It hurt my work confidence and performance as I have to interact with many people throughout the day.

Now I actually feel great after getting dressed. Still have some work to do.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I would just like to point out that changes in lifestyle (increased exercise, better nutrition etc.) can make a significant difference in symptoms for those struggling with mild or situational depression. However, there are some individuals that struggle with more severe forms of mental illness and all the exercise in the world will not make the symptoms go away because medication is needed for daily living.

Congrats OP (and others) for finding a way to feel better for you. :flowerforyou:
  • Moosello
    Moosello Posts: 15
    Options
    I would just like to point out that changes in lifestyle (increased exercise, better nutrition etc.) can make a significant difference in symptoms for those struggling with mild or situational depression. However, there are some individuals that struggle with more severe forms of mental illness and all the exercise in the world will not make the symptoms go away because medication is needed for daily living.

Congrats OP (and others) for finding a way to feel better for you. :flowerforyou:

Definitely second this! For some exercise is enough, for others medication can be necessary for either a short period of time or long term.

Personally, I have some issues with my mental health and exercising as well as eating right has helped a lot. I'm less prone to episodes and am in general happier for longer periods of time. :)
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I struggle with stress and anxiety at times. In the past the gym became a trigger because I just felt guilty about not going, but hated going and so vicious circle and started having panic attacks there, so gave up. I am in a different gym this time, which is smaller and more friendly and the staff are very supportive. I find exercise really helps to make me feel better, even though it can sometimes be hard to drag myself there. I feel better about myself because I know I look better and am healthier. it's also a great stress reliever. We've had a rough few days with the kids, last night I went to a class feeling pretty low, but took out a lot of aggression on the sand bags raging against the unfairness of my sons condition. I felt SO much better afterwards.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    yep. apart from the boost in self confidence from being fitter and better looking, exercise and proper nutrition actually help balance hormones in your body, and as someone else already mentioned its been known to help/cure depression in some cases. just the boost in energy alone from working out and eating right can do wonders
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I still need heavy duty medication due to a severe mental illness, but getting healthier has *definitely* impacted my mental health for the better. Just succeeding at something in my control has helped enormously. There's a lot I can't control about my mental illness, but I feel so good accomplishing concrete goals. I'm glad it's been great for you too!
  • 115s
    115s Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I can not say that I have better mental health. I do feel better that I don't have to shop in the maternity section.
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options

Definitely. I need my medication, no two ways about it. But daily living sure has improved since modifying my diet and exercise!
  • enderman94
    Options
    I most definitely agree with you. I'm struggling with some personal situation and at one point have been getting prescriptions for depression. Since the summer started, I've been going outside more often to walk, run and bike which boosted my mood. Now that I feel happy and content with a lot of the things, it makes me want to exercise and go out more. Hence, the positive cycle continues. I hope I continue to do so when the winter comes. Vitamin D from sun and endorphin from working out is my cure for depression.
  • jbpretty
    jbpretty Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It helps me so much so that when I lax even just on the exercise my doctor and husband can tell.
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I know for me that when I don't work out consistently, I actually get edgy and morose. It's definitely helped with my depression issues, I still get little funks - but nothing like before.