Desperately looking for true cure to metabolic syndrome

Options
2»

Replies

• pinkyslippers
    pinkyslippers Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    OK Originally I was not going to reply to this because I can guess how it's going to go. I'll ask you a couple of questions first don't you find it interesting that you go to various message boards and people tell you the same things that you are either eating to much or logging inaccurately? In all likelihood that is what people will tell you here and it is the most likely thing. Metabolic disorders exist but are rare. If you think you have one why have you not gone to the Doctor? In the unlikely case that you do have one you would then be given appropriate advice/treatment.

Take a step back and think why all these places and people are telling you the same things. Maybe they have a point?

Anyway if you're serious about losing weight these links may help or you could continue to visit multiple forums until you find someone that agrees with you. No matter what Good luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594

Buddy, you couldn't be farther from the truth when you say metabolic disorders are rare.

Diabetes is a metabolic disorder - definitely not rare. The OP has gone now anyway but there seems to be some confusion around the terms metabolism (as in people saying: 'I have a slow metabolism'), metabolic disorders (a huge number of conditions are clustered under this heading), and 'metabolic syndrome' (a combo of diabetes, hypertension and obesity). Metabolic syndrome affects 1 in 4 people in the UK (source: NHS, 2012).

Not sure why I just posted all that to a rudderless post - guess it stops me from snacking LOL!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Hook - no one in my family has diabetes but the drug I was on is known to cause diabetes...I got pre-diabetic before I was finally able to get off of it. I'm just going to end up seeing a doctor and getting levels tested. I'm cancelling this membership. As for the other kind replies, ignorance and arrogance have a way of catching up with someone - good luck.

Well I can't imagine why the OP's diet plans haven't worked out. The claim that he's doing all this exercise and eating 1500 calories per day while not losing weight is so ridiculous that I'm not even sure that he's serious or a troll. If he's serious, then he probably has some psych issues rather than "metabolic" issues.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    OK Originally I was not going to reply to this because I can guess how it's going to go. I'll ask you a couple of questions first don't you find it interesting that you go to various message boards and people tell you the same things that you are either eating to much or logging inaccurately? In all likelihood that is what people will tell you here and it is the most likely thing. Metabolic disorders exist but are rare. If you think you have one why have you not gone to the Doctor? In the unlikely case that you do have one you would then be given appropriate advice/treatment.

Take a step back and think why all these places and people are telling you the same things. Maybe they have a point?

Anyway if you're serious about losing weight these links may help or you could continue to visit multiple forums until you find someone that agrees with you. No matter what Good luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594

Buddy, you couldn't be farther from the truth when you say metabolic disorders are rare.

If you define metabolic disorder as anything that involves the metabolism, no, they probably aren't rare. If you think of it in the context of OP's claims, that as a 220 pound man he was unable to lose any weight eating 1500-1800 calories a day, then yes metabolic disorders that can cause that kind of reduction in TDEE would be extremely rare.

It's not as rare as you think considering I am the same way due to medications. I am assuming OP was taking anti-depressants which are directly linked to large amounts of weight gain, metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, diabetes, etc.

Here's evidence for those of you who have thick skulls: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1635794/.

I was 97 lbs my entire life. Couldn't gain a single pound no matter what I ate. I started anti-depressants for anxiety and gained a whopping 111 lbs in less than 3 years. Not only that but I developed insulin resistance. Fortunately, I do not have high blood glucose levels, only high insulin levels. However, my health has been significantly compromised because of these drugs. My endocrinologist has told me I likely won't lose weight unless I eat 500-800 calories a day which he would not recommend for me because I only have 40 lbs to lose to be at a healthy BMI. I ate 1200 calories and didn't lose weight. I eat at my "supposed" TDEE and still do not lose weight.

Like I said, it's not as rare as you think.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

If you define metabolic disorder as anything that involves the metabolism, no, they probably aren't rare. If you think of it in the context of OP's claims, that as a 220 pound man he was unable to lose any weight eating 1500-1800 calories a day, then yes metabolic disorders that can cause that kind of reduction in TDEE would be extremely rare.

It's not as rare as you think considering I am the same way due to medications. I am assuming OP was taking anti-depressants which are directly linked to large amounts of weight gain, metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, diabetes, etc.

Here's evidence for those of you who have thick skulls: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1635794/.

I was 97 lbs my entire life. Couldn't gain a single pound no matter what I ate. I started anti-depressants for anxiety and gained a whopping 111 lbs in less than 3 years. Not only that but I developed insulin resistance. Fortunately, I do not have high blood glucose levels, only high insulin levels. However, my health has been significantly compromised because of these drugs. My endocrinologist has told me I likely won't lose weight unless I eat 500-800 calories a day which he would not recommend for me because I only have 40 lbs to lose to be at a healthy BMI. I ate 1200 calories and didn't lose weight. I eat at my "supposed" TDEE and still do not lose weight.

What's your definition of "rare"?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Nobody is trying to be cool by telling you that you're doing it wrong. You have no idea how many people come to this board saying things like "calorie counting doesn't work for me" and "my metabolism is just bad" and "I swear I count every calorie totally accurately so that's not the issue". Everybody thinks they're a special snowflake and that their weight problems aren't like anybody else's. That said, yes, you COULD have true metabolic damage, sure. It's incredibly unlikely, but it's possible. See a doctor or spend ~$80-$100 to get your RMR tested. I bet you'll be surprised with the results. The thing is you're still grossly misinformed though. You claim that a day of eating or drinking the wrong thing can leave you with 5 pounds of extra weight that "sticks" (aka is actually fat) and that's just absurd. If you're actually struggling to eat 2500 calories a day, 5 pounds of extra fat in one day is literally impossible in every sense of the word. If you eat 2500 calories and gain 5 pounds of fat in one day, you should rush to the nearest research hospital and let them run tests on you because you've accomplished something that nobody else in the history of humanity has. Your body makes fat out of excess calories. A pound of fat requires 3500 excess calories. Now if you only ate 2500, do you really think your body created the extra 15,000 calories out of thin air?

I had minor surgery last February ('13) for a "girl issue." I slept for 3 days after and barely ate. I gained 5 pounds in that three days. I thought it was water, but it never went away. Mathematically it isn't possible, but it happened. Most on this site will say I did something wrong, but I know how hard I worked for a long time with no success. I choose to believe that the human body is complicated and there are just some things that can't be easily explained (or understood).

Surgery == inflammation.
    Inflammation == water weight gain that does not go away until the inflammation does. So, weeks, even months depending on what was done and how well you healed. In that time, you may also have been put on drugs that would cause water retention (some pain killers, hormone therapies, steroids, etc). Over that time you may also have replaced some or all of the water weight with fat weight if you didn't keep under your TDEE which would have been lower than normal thanks to reduced activity.

So, no, your story is not an automatic example of putting on pounds of fat in the absence of a surplus.
  • LaneB89
    LaneB89 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

There's a ton wrong with what you just said, but I'll stick to the key points.

1) I'm positive antidepressants have not been proven to directly decrease metabolic rate, and I doubt you can find a study that says otherwise. They increase weight through a variety of other factors - increased appetite, increased pleasure from food caused by the lifting of depression, etc.

2) Yes, it's common for someone who gains 100+ lbs to develop some form of insulin/diabetic condition. That's from the weight gain, not the medicine itself.

3) People with insulin resistance can still lose weight, and they do it all the time without having to drop to 500-800 calories. If your endocrinologist claims you would need to eat 500-800 calories to lose weight, find a new endocrinologist.

4) Something happening to you doesn't mean it's "not as rare as you think." That's like saying, "I have Lou Gehrig's disease, therefore it's not rare." No, news flash, Lou Gehrig's disease is still incredibly rare whether you yourself have it or not.

I should also add that I've been on anti-depressants and have gained weight from them. When I chose to stop taking them, the weight eventually came off with normal healthy diet and exercise. I've never seen a study that shows them to cause permanent effects.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know which medication he's on that causes diabetes.

If he can also put on 5 lbs of fat in one day without overeating at all then I think he needs to volunteer himself for scientific studies because that could be revolutionary.

So am I. There is steroid-induced diabetes. Sometimes that does not correct itself when you stop taking the steroids.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    The metabolism damage is so bad that I can gain a legitimate 5 pounds in one day if I eat or drink the wrong thing (not water weight, it sticks).

I used to think the same thing. Because it does "stick" for a while. I have been cussing and *****ing for the past two weeks because I knew I was doing everything right but the scale went up and stayed there. But I persevered and when I got on the scale yesterday, the three pounds I "gained" was gone again. I don't understand it, it's frustrating and infuriating but our bodies are just strange machines sometimes.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Oh dear GAWD some of these comments...
    Metabolic disorders are rare. Your metabolism becomes more efficient when it needs to be ("slower") because it wants to live.
    Last time I was on meds and gained weight from it it took me longer than 3 months to lose what I gained....over a year. Suck it up and have patience.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    The metabolism damage is so bad that I can gain a legitimate 5 pounds in one day if I eat or drink the wrong thing (not water weight, it sticks).

That's physically impossible.

+1

You'd have to consume 17,500 cals over your daily to actually gain 5lbs.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    OP suggested he was misusing prescription medication:
    Then I finally broke the chain of addiction with this pill that I was taking for insomnia.

This also sounds a little questionable (give how difficult it actually is to put on muscle):
    I learned how to work out hard and diet in the process because I didn't want to look so bad so just stacked a bunch of muscle on myself.

If the OP was misusing medication or other substances, he is the proverbial "special snowflake," which doesn't prove that metabolic disorders are common. You can't point to a very unique case like this to make any kind of point about health issues in the general population.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know which medication he's on that causes diabetes.

If he can also put on 5 lbs of fat in one day without overeating at all then I think he needs to volunteer himself for scientific studies because that could be revolutionary.

So am I. There is steroid-induced diabetes. Sometimes that does not correct itself when you stop taking the steroids.

yep, other drugs that can cause diabetes are statins, beta blockers, thiazides, antipsychotic agents, immunosuppressive agents, protease inhibitors etc.

doesn't really matter much though since OP deactivated his account.
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    OP suggested he was misusing prescription medication:
    Then I finally broke the chain of addiction with this pill that I was taking for insomnia.

Xanax is prescribed for insomnia and is highly addictive.