Interim Wardrobe

Options
2»

Replies

• rrlwelter
    rrlwelter Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    thrift stores in an upscale neighborhood.

Seriously, I regularly score Lucky Brand jeans for under $10 a pair, once with the tags still on, and DKNY work slacks. One time I even ran into a leather Coach bag for $30 (and yes, for you nay-sayers, my daughter works for Coach and verified that it was actual Coach and not a repro or outlet).

When I was losing (I lost 134 pounds following multiple surgeries), I got in the habit of hitting the high-end neighborhood thrift every week and trying to get 2-3 pairs of jeans, and 2-3 pairs of work slacks in the next 2 sizes down from where I was. That way, when things got loose, I wasn't in a panic trying to find things to fit.

Basic t-shirts and tops, yeah, those pretty much came from Old Navy because even though their things wear out quickly, they work for a couple months and that was all I needed.
  • sunraven01
    sunraven01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Read up on "capsule wardrobes" too -- you can find advice on how to make 10 pieces of clothes work for your entire wardrobe while you're working your way down to your new size!
  • Fit_Chef_NE
    Fit_Chef_NE Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My trick is to go to a thrift store or Goodwill in a very wealthy town or neighborhood. This way, you are bound to find some really really nice, high end clothes for next to nothing. I have made some really spectacular finds doing this including a $200 dress for 2 bucks and a genuine Kate Spade purse for 5.
  • kerinb612
    kerinb612 Posts: 10
    Options
    Yep thrift stores are a must. Also try to focus on choosing items that mix and match or a couple of pieces of costume jewelry to mix and match with some simple clothes items. Mixable items will give the illusion that you have a bigger wardrobe.

there are some thrift stores that are way outdated, but I think in general thrift is popular again and so you can find some great stuff. As others stated, try to go in a ritzy area of town. I go to one called second avenue and I cannot tell you how often the clothes there still have their original tags on them because whoever bought them originally never even wore them. Its incredible. And they have additional discounts on mondays. So look out for things like that!

Just on the off chance you or others are in the philadelphia suburb area, heres the link to this chain of thirft stores.

http://www.2ndavestores.com/
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Thrift store idea. I believe stores labeled "Consignment" stores may have higher quality clothes. Also clearance racks.

Once thing I did when I was between sizes (but gaining) was buy a lot of shorts and capri pants that had drawstrings at the waist. These are just casual weekend clothes, but I'm still wearing some of these even though I've lost 47 pounds. They were tight on me, and now they are big on me, but with the drawstring, I can wear them. But these are NOT clothes for work, just casual kicking around in.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    High end thrift store. In my area there's a shop called Savers.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I think you should just go shopping. :) You have a better body - why wear baggy and ill-fitting clothes that won't show this great success?

You may be losing more, sure - but, why be miserable until then?

Be healthy, be happy, and shop as you deserve to shop.

Congratulations on a job well done. :)
  • CrescentCityGirl
    CrescentCityGirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    High end thrift store. In my area there's a shop called Savers.

I always find great deals at Savers. In our area you get additional discounts if you shop on Tuesday and Friday. Well worth the drive to the ritzy neighborhoods as the others have mentioned.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Good basics that will work even if you go down a size - so stretch skirts, tunics, fitted dresses with stretch, skirts that you have to wear a bit higher on the waist. Much of my clothing that was a size bigger still works as I just wear it a bit baggier (they were quite tight before) but not unshapely. I did have to get rid of trousers, already loose skirts and jeans, but other things I can wear down on my hips more.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    If you can find a cheap tailor (mine's in my city's Chinatown and is great and inexpensive) it might be cheaper than buying clothes if it's simple taking-in. Doesn't always work for really structured stuff but it's worth trying.
  • vegwrangler
    vegwrangler Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions! Thanks so much everybody! Definitely going to hit a Savers as I haven't attempted to shop at ours in town yet! Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshalls will be awesome when I'm down a few sizes. I'm currently fitting in size 10-14

*Mini Rant*

Thrift in Austin is so expensive unless you're willing to risk insect infestation via shopping at the Goodwill Outlet. The Goodwill just down the street from our house is selling blue jeans for $12 a pair. Seriously.... and not the name brand and/or new-ish condition jeans... but the period-stained, holy-crotched heavily WORN NO NAME JEANS. Thrift? What a rip off.

I can find brand spanking new jeans at Old Navy for just a few choice dollars more than that :-/. Grumble, UGH!

*End Mini Rant*
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    Read up on "capsule wardrobes" too -- you can find advice on how to make 10 pieces of clothes work for your entire wardrobe while you're working your way down to your new size!

AGREED .. always do this for my hand luggage on holiday ..