Looking for an activity tracker

Options
Hi everybody, I am really interested in getting a activity tracker but I am not sure which one to purchase, I would like one that tracks calories burned and sleep lol. I want to get everyone input for their top choice to and reviews to help with my purchase. I just do not want to spend 100-150 and it not be worth the cost. Thanks in advance :)))

Replies

• runninggirl1985
    Options
    I was also looking for one! I met someone today who has the Garmin one (can't remember what it's called though), and she likes it. I know someone else with FitBit who likes hers. I think they're all kinda similar with a few differences between each one, hence why it's taken me so long to decide what I want as well...
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One and am pretty happy with it. I know the calories are not completely accurate, but none of them are. If Fitbit says I burned 1800 calories one day, and 2000 the next, I know I burned more the second day. I can take the averages they give me vs. how much I eat to maintain and figure it out a pretty good TDEE. The sleep tracker is pretty cool, and I like how everything is graphed out for you on their website.
  • humptydumpty40
    Options
    I would recommend a polar hrm, body media, and fitbit. I like the heartrate monitor when I swim. I liked fitbit until I fell asleep and broke the clip. I now use bodymedia but I pay monthly after paying 100 dollars for it. bummer:laugh:
  • criticaltodd
    Options
    I would recommend a polar hrm, body media, and fitbit. I like the heartrate monitor when I swim. I liked fitbit until I fell asleep and broke the clip. I now use bodymedia but I pay monthly after paying 100 dollars for it. bummer:laugh:
    I second the recommendation for a HRM. I have a Polar and love it for tracking my workouts. I've had both fitbit and body media but I kept losing or accidently washing the former and I found the latter uncomfortable to wear. At the moment, I'm using the Withings activity tracker and I like it.
  • LanaeCarol
    LanaeCarol Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I just recently got a FitBit One. I really like it! I use it currently mostly for the steps and sleep aspects. The calories burned in a day of normal activity seems pretty reasonable to me. I love checking my dashboard at the end of the day to see how I did. I also like seeing my weekly summary. It tells me what day I did the best and which was the worst and gives totals for the week. It seems to hold a charge really well (more than 1 week/charging) and is very convenient to wear. I find it a useful tool that encourages me to try to beat my previous "records" for steps and stairs and to try various things to improve the sleep record.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Would highly recommend Garmin Vivofit. None of these trackers are 100% accurate but counting your steps/calories is better than not counting 'em right? Vivofit syncs with my iphone and the battery life is much, much longer than the Fitbit. Also, I have a Garmin GPS watch so the watch & vivofit data all gets synced/stored in Garmin connect.

Here's my blog review if you are interested in reading it:

http://runninggrooveshark.com/2014/04/28/vivofitting/

This is the first activity tracker that has every actually worked for me. Pedometers were worthless.

My wife has a Fitbit Flex and she loves it, only problem is having to charge it periodically. that would be my 2nd choice.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I know you've moved on, but if the Fitbit is under warranty, they'll usually replace those clips.

I like Fitbits but if $100 is a lot for you (OP), be sure you know what they do and don't do. A lot of disappointed buyers expected them to track everything from cycling to swimming and give sleep data like a sleep lab. It's basically a really nice pedometer. It doesn't work on resistance exercise or biking or swimming. You have to manually log those. It doesn't monitor your heart rate or blood glucose or anything like that.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Vivofit and I like it very much. I'm able to swim with it, shower with it and sleep with it. Never removing it.
  • kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've found that using my fibit flex all day is great for letting me know how much I'm moving just normally. And I love that it doesn't pick up typing as steps since it's worn on my wrist. But I will use a Polar HRM when I'm doing ANY sort of exercise.
  • skbkhey
    skbkhey Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for replaying I am still very lost on which one i want to buy, I usually go to the gym 4-6 days a week and do cardio for an hour and I also kick-box 3-4 days a week as well. I just got a bike so i am looking forward to riding it as another exercise, I had a polar fitness watch but i misplaced it . But my question is if I get an activity tracker will it be able to track those activities well and give me an accurate calorie burn for such activities?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Not really. Just like you can here, you can input other activities (biking, etc.) and get a calorie burn estimation. But the pedometer fitness trackers are not HRMs, and can't tell you're riding a bike or such.

Love my Fitbit One - use it as a tool to make sure I'm fairly active overall each day.
    Thanks everybody for replaying I am still very lost on which one i want to buy, I usually go to the gym 4-6 days a week and do cardio for an hour and I also kick-box 3-4 days a week as well. I just got a bike so i am looking forward to riding it as another exercise, I had a polar fitness watch but i misplaced it . But my question is if I get an activity tracker will it be able to track those activities well and give me an accurate calorie burn for such activities?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I clip the Fitbit to my sock for bike riding.
  • 2xMommaYork
    Options
    I have a Polar Loop and a Polar H7 Heart Rate Monitor. Best "fitness" purchase I've ever made. They really motivate me to be more active and the data they provide is very valuable for keeping me on target.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I've had a fitbit one for about a year and yes, I know the calories can't be completely 100% accurate. But ya know what? Through lots and lots of trial and error and experimentation, if I've seen I've burned a certain amount of calories using the fitbit, it shows up the same on the scale.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar Loop and a Polar H7 Heart Rate Monitor. Best "fitness" purchase I've ever made. They really motivate me to be more active and the data they provide is very valuable for keeping me on target.

What's a Polar Loop? I just got a Polar T7 after having a T4 and hating, The T7 seems to be easier to use even though it has a lot of stuff I don't need.
  • Sparky750
    Sparky750 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The garmin vivofit can also be used with a hrm which would show bike rides etc in calories burned, just got mine today after reading about all of them for weeks. so far so good I'm happy I've bought the right one for me its waterproof and doesn't need charging
  • justformel
    justformel Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have the bodymedia fit. I love it! This does not track heart rate, but when comparing with what my hrm came up with for a workout, they were the same amount of calories burned, give or take just a few. This tracks steps, calories burned for the whole day, syncs with mfp, sleep, and mins of acitivity. Only downfall, after the free 3 months trial, there is a $6.95 monthly fee to upload your info to the website, but I'm a numbers nerd and love seeing and analyzing all the data and trends, so it's worth the money to me.

Been wearing one for years, since they used to be called body bugg.