Second Week Loss at a Standstill . . .

Options
My first week I dropped 4 pounds! My second week I am not losing anything - in fact gained a half pound. I net 1200 calories every day after exercise. I exercised 12 hours in the last 11 days. I am not losing an ounce. Why????? I thought the weigh would come off more easily the first couple weeks. It's a mystery to me . . .

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It can take a while at first. I would give it a couple more weeks. If after that time you haven't been seeing the results you'd like, try increasing your calories. It sounds counterintuitive, but you need to eat in order to lose weight.

After some experimentation I found that I need 1300-1500 calories in order to lose weight.
  • SamWTFx3
    Options
    Sometimes you hit what they call a "plateau" where you don't lose any weight. It could either be from you doing that one exercise too long, but it's more likely your body gaining some muscle.
    Just in case, you could try mixing up your exercises. Maybe try doing what you're doing every other day, and then do something else the days in between. But don't forget to have a day or so of rest!
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    It can take a while at first. I would give it a couple more weeks. If after that time you haven't been seeing the results you'd like, try increasing your calories. It sounds counterintuitive, but you need to eat in order to lose weight.

After some experimentation I found that I need 1300-1500 calories in order to lose weight.

Thank you for your response! It is so confusing and frustrating when you feel like you are doing everything right but don't see the weight loss. Especially after such a great first week I was on cloud nine!
  • alissaloved
    Options
    Does it have something to do with weight ratio of fat vs muscle??? I am no expert but apparently this can stuff people up which is why you have the weight AND measurement option on the site. Just an idea. It does sound frustrating when you are doing so well.
  • lastraw
    lastraw Posts: 32
    Options
    My experience is that if you are exercising you need to eat back some of the calories you have burned thru exercise. It sounds crazy but when you are working out, you need to eat more to lose weight. 1200 calories is too lean if you are working out and your body is going into starvation mode. Eat more (clean food) and keep your workouts going strong and it'll come off.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    Hang in there and dont give up. I have found alot of times when I have a week where I dont lose the next week I usually lose 3-4lbs. Sometimes our bodies hang onto the water especially if you are new to exercise, your muscles hang onto the water to help repair the muscle.. You can do it, just hang in there
  • javamom
    Options
    My experience is that if you are exercising you need to eat back some of the calories you have burned thru exercise. It sounds crazy but when you are working out, you need to eat more to lose weight. 1200 calories is too lean if you are working out and your body is going into starvation mode. Eat more (clean food) and keep your workouts going strong and it'll come off.

My net calories are 1200 after subtracting my exercise from my daily total (closer to 1700 calories).
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Have you ever watched "The Biggest Loser?" They always have a hard 2nd week! ;o) It sounds like you might be exercising too much and eating too little- sounds strange, but try to eat a bit more so your body doesn't think you're in starvation mode and "hold onto" the weight.
  • javamom
    Options
    Sometimes you hit what they call a "plateau" where you don't lose any weight. It could either be from you doing that one exercise too long, but it's more likely your body gaining some muscle.
    Just in case, you could try mixing up your exercises. Maybe try doing what you're doing every other day, and then do something else the days in between. But don't forget to have a day or so of rest!

Great idea! I have been doing the same type of exercise most days. Maybe I need to mix it up more . . .
  • javamom
    Options
    Have you ever watched "The Biggest Loser?" They always have a hard 2nd week! ;o) It sounds like you might be exercising too much and eating too little- sounds strange, but try to eat a bit more so your body doesn't think you're in starvation mode and "hold onto" the weight.

I am eating 1700 - 1800 calories a day depending on my work out.
  • addman72
    addman72 Posts: 220
    Options
    I was going to mention Biggest Loser as well.

My weight was stagment for nearly a month.

Its a long journey. Dont worry